Doves

Guest zahidf

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what day do you want them mate?

ive been wrestling with this for a couple of days

i cant decide if i want them saturday (as my festival blowout gig + springsteens bound to pull a massive crowd meaning there might, just might be a bit more space) or sunday, closing out the festy with the cedar room or spaceface (again) would be pretty awesome - even if it means missing blur

as long as its not friday i'm a happy boy!!

Out of the three Pyramid headliners I'd probably only go and see Neil Young. That said, I can't get to Glasto until Thursday lunchtime and Neil Young is in Aberdeen on the Weds night, so if need be I can see him up here.

Not fussed about Blur and if i want to see them I can at T a fortnight after Glasto, and as for Sat evening/night at the Pyramid, well the less said the better :P

Would prefer Doves on the Saturday night. Means I could also see some of Ray Davis.

yeah, im with ya, trouble is i keep hearing things about white lies in the jp saturday night - which is a right pain in the arse.

and right again, lets not mention the pyramid saturday, as far as im concerned the pyramid doesnt even exist from about 8pm

it took me a couple of days mate

but i really got it when i shoved it in the car - rather than listening to it, it was just there in the background, and i couldnt really concentrate on it.

after that, the 1st time i sat dowen to listen to it 'proper' every tune on there hit me, except compulsion, which holds the album back imo

it took me a couple of days mate

but i really got it when i shoved it in the car - rather than listening to it, it was just there in the background, and i couldnt really concentrate on it.

after that, the 1st time i sat dowen to listen to it 'proper' every tune on there hit me, except compulsion, which holds the album back imo

Some cities took a while but i got the new one very quick, i'm appreciating it on a deeper level so i'm less worried about getting bored of it, think my top 3 are

Winter Hill

Kingdom of Rust

An extract from the excellent review of KOR from Digital Spy -

Album closer 'Lifeline' is Doves' finest achievement to date - heart-breaking, euphoric and humongous are just a few adjectives that spring to mind. "Somebody's giving in, but I'm not," howls Goodwin during the crescendo, managing to sound both forlorn and defiant in the same hearty growl. The track is destined to be used on a million TV montages - bets are already off that it accompanies a reality TV winner's 'best bits' at some point this year - so cherish it while you can, before you're forced to associate it with a washed-up soap star eating grubs in the jungle. Elsewhere, the band have replaced the Northern Soul twang of Some Cities with dance influences. 'Jetstream' has a Krautrock-staccato rumble, 'The Outsiders' is a towering rock track with squelching bass, and 'Compulsion' is a punk-funk number that's as close to a Sub Sub reformation as we're ever likely to get.

Elsewhere, it's business as usual, with Goodwin's phlegm-packed vocals accompanied by swirling, cinematic epics ('Kingdom of Rust'), blissful flourishes ('Winter Hill') and infectious folky guitars ('Spellbound'). Reviews of this album can only brush across its beautiful weaved layers and if it isn't on most rock fans' Best Of '09 lists come the end of the year, we'll eat an entire hat shop. There's nothing fancy or frilly about Doves' presentation. They're never going to be papped outside the Groucho with one of The Saturdays on their arm. But if they keep releasing albums like this, then quite frankly, who cares?

Thought you'd appreciate the first sentence Tugger2k. I note it doesn't mention House of Mirrors.