PEARL JAM

Guest Olivavu

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. He had a powerful and emotional voice but nothing like the range of Bono, Buckley, Cornell, Tyler, Dickinson, Patton, Rose etc.

2. The point still remains valid.

3. That's what I'm saying as well. Except that you dismissed the bands becasue of the voices singers.

Where the f**k is Olivavu?

Edited by Cultseeker

What!?!?!

Where did I say that it was a rule of extraction? I merely said that it was one variable in the configuration of whether something was good or not. So big is this factor in Pulp and Blurs case I felt it warranted highlighting.

See, Cobain didn't have a great voice, technically. But it was raw with with emotion and very powerful. Sure, his voice may have broke ten times per song, but it was this kind of vulnerability that endeared him to his audience.
Edited by Cultseeker

Right, so cutting to the chase, when you wish to discredit a band a singer who isn't technically any good is a reason for dismissing that band, but when you like someone it's just another factor that can easily be overridden by something else?

That's great, you could almost apply that to all your arguments so never actually having to confront what you're saying or answer anyone else's points... :blink:

Edited by Cultseeker

I love the way Jarvis Cocker sings! How dare you! :blink:

Cheers funkymunky, I'll check those bands out. Have you heard anything by Neutral Milk Hotel? Not exactly the same thing, but I know a few Pavement fans who are big on em.

And in technical terms would you say he has a better voice than, lets say, Whitney Houston?

Edited by funkymunkey

Pogal. Your inferences are terrible.

There is little of any talent in their art, so that even on the most superficial level (i.e. a nice tune or voice) you are still at a loss for any kind of talent. That is what I was suggesting.

They're not terrible at all, it was just strange that the main tool you used to discredit those bands was one you then said wasn't particularly relevant when defending bands you like.

So, in your opinion, there is no talent in the work of any Britpop bands, including Blur?

Not much at all. It was the lowest, cheapest, dullest, shallow, trite musical diversion I have ever witnessed either first hand or otherwise.

It is by my tools of technicality.

If you read back over you'll see what I mean by this.

Edited by pogal