Folk by the Oak 2024

european_son

Headliner announced: Levellers

Every year we ask our audience who they want to see perform at Folk by the Oak, and since Levellers headlined in 2017 they have remained in the top 3 bands our audience have been clamouring for.

One of the most sought-after festival bands in the country, we are thrilled to be welcoming back Levellers with a set packed full of their much loved tracks!

Of course, the Levellers you will see at Folk by the Oak will be the electric version, literally and metaphorically, as they close our Main Stage with another rousing, high energy set packed with the tracks you know and love.

Anyone else going? We went along a couple of years ago (Proclaimers/Richard Thompson/The Unthanks/Spell Songs). It's local to us, very relaxed, small but not too small (just a couple of stages) and pretty good value.

Never seen Levellers before and would quite like to, so I'm pleased.

• 4 weeks later...

Announced mid-December... though it looks like I'm possibly the only person from here who's interested!

Kora master and Folk by the Oak favourite Seckou Keita this time returning with his uplifting, upbeat Homeland Band. Also returning are the three great friends and exceptionally talented musicians that make up The Young'uns.

We're thrilled to welcome for the first time The Furrow Collective, a collaboration between 4 seriously talented individuals, a heady mix of exceptional musicianship and fine vocal harmonies from Lucy Farrell, Rachel Newton, Emily Portman and Alasdair Roberts.

Headlining our Acorn Stage this year is the legend that is Beans on Toast – renowned for live shows that are both unpredictable and memorable, packed with songs to make you laugh and songs to make you think.

Also on the Acorn Stage we have 2 up-and-coming trios who are fast gaining a reputation as the future of folk - Malin Lewis Trio and Grace Smith Trio.

Playlist for those interested on Spotify

Edited by european_son

Hi, you're not the only one interested! Also local to us, but never been as the line-up's never quite been enough to tempt us - always one or two great acts like the Unthanks, Bellowhead etc but never enough to fill out a whole day for £50-£60 each.

Would love to see some of the new fantastic Irish artists on the bill, like Lankum, OXN, One Leg One Eye, Brigid Mae Power, Lisa O'Neill, Elaine Malone etc.

If they had Beans on Toast subbing the Levellers it would be so much more tempting. As it is, there will be far to many other options this year with plenty of acts that offer more for your money.

Am I right to assume thats Beans and Levellers will be on at the same time?

When we went in 2022, they alternated the two stages, so you could see everything if you really want to.

The Acorn Stage headliner finished up just before the main stage headliner began. Unless things change drastically I'm assuming it's the same again, because the site is small enough that the potential sound bleed wouldn't really allow simultaneous stages I don't think.

https://www.folkbytheoak.com/news/festival-schedule-announced/

I definitely agree that the lineup needs a couple more bigger names to really pull off "great lineup" ... fingers crossed! They're promising two more main stage artists, and four more on the Acorn Stage.

The Acorn Stage is teeny tiny, so I'm not imagining anyone too major there.

• 3 weeks later...

The Staves added to the main stage, which I'm very happy with. 

Spellbinding songs, exquisite harmonies and sisterly banter make The Staves one of the best bands you will catch live this year.

Expect a blissful summer's evening performance of old favourites, plus music from the much-anticipated new album 'All Now'.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We complete our Main Stage Line-up with a band that have long been a Folk by the Oak favourite, renowned for their multi-layered, sophisticated vocal harmonies, their precision playing & extraordinary live performances.

We are overjoyed that Boston-based Darlingside will be UK-bound and joining us this July!

Our Acorn Stage is where we share inspiring and ground-breaking new talent with our wonderful audience, and our final 3 announcements fit that bill perfectly. 

HEISK is a dazzling and captivating six-piece folk band that redefines the traditional music landscape by infusing Scottish roots with contemporary energy.

An accomplished roots multi-instrumentalist, a captivating singer and a poetic wordsmith, Cahalen Morrison is widely recognised as a unique voice in American music.

At the forefront of contemporary English folk is Lucy Farrell, who weaves unconventional melodies, sophisticated song-writing and beguiling vocals into enthralling live performances.