Embedding videos

Guest feral chile

Hi Neil,

Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong when I try to embed videos? I do exactly as advised, but I still can't do it.

I've just gone into youtube, clicked on share, embed, copied and pasted everything that then appeared in the box, and this is what I end up with :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-M-0S6B-3Zw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What should I be doing? How much of this should I copy, or am I copying the right thing even?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

http://youtu.be/8NCDqYynUQk

:(

I also have problems when I reply, the underlining button or strikethrough button automatically activates, or when I right click, instead of getting the copy and paste options, I get the longer list that starts with back, and gives options to create shortcut etc.

I really am hopeless - I embarrassed myself in work today because I knew I had to do something and couldn't find the full guidance, so spoke to my manager for the missing stages.

the solution was to use the scroll bar to see the next bit on the page. :(

Edited by feral chile

you posted the link so that it acts like a standard hyperlink - I'm guessing by using the link button in the editor. You just need to paste the embed link into the post, without doing anything extra.

If you didn't use the link button in the editor, then it's because you had the editor in HTML mode and it needs to be in plain text mode. You can toggle the editor between those by clicking on the icon in the top left corner of the editor's icons (it's in HTML mode when the other icons are enabled, and plain text mode when they're disabled).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If using the desktop version of YouTube...

1. on the page, below the video, there's some links "About", "Share", and "Add to". Click on "Share".

2. Immediately below the share link, there should now be displayed a "share this video" link that begins with "http://youtu.be/" (rather than youtube.com). Copy that link.

3. Simply paste that link into your post.