Channel 4 TV Coverage

Guest Zac Quinn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't "catering to the masses" at all, they're doing the opposite. For one random week a year they're catering for a niche audience of metalheads who usually wouldn't listen to Radio 1 because the standard playlist doesn't suit them, and at the same time alienating the 6m+ daily listeners who tune in for the bland chart music like Taylor Swift which their daytime DJ's usually focus on. It's bizarre.

Of course they're catering to the masses, there's plenty of crossover between Download and the 'mainstream'. this year there are acts like Shikari, the Hives, BFMV, 30 seconds to mars, queens of the stone age, fidlar, we are the ocean, who have all had mainstream success this year (except the hives, they have had it previously though) and acts from last year like sabbath, biffy, you me at six, chase and status, the prodigy, have all had TONS of mainstream success, Biffy and Sabbath both with number 1 albums this year.

If radio listeners wanted purely pop music like beyonce and taylor swift, they should listen to Capital FM. Zane Lowe for one clearly plays a lot more music that's to his tastes. You get hardly any "pop" music/V fest type acts, during his time slot

They can pretty much cover the mainstream side of things with their Glasto, T and Reading coverage. There's no point covering another festival with much the same undercard.

Besides, the BBC is supposed to cater for everyone. A lot of young people like heavier music, hence it makes sense for Radio 1 to cover Download. As Com Truise rightly points out, Download features plenty of crossover acts every year, there is actually quite a bit of variety to what's played on Radio 1 in the daytime these days. Plus there's Daniel P Carter's Rock Show listeners to cater for.

You seem to be advocating that Radio 1 only plays the blandest of the bland 24/7.

If Channel 4 cover V they'll show songs from. Beyonce (if they've been given special permission of course), Kings of Leon, The Script, Jessie J, Emili Sande, 2DCC, Rita Ora, Calvin Harris, Olly Murs etc... They then usually wedge in a brief highlights package where you'll get 30 seconds of the likes of Stereophonics, Vaccines etc... Channel 4 only cater for their core teenage music audience.

Regarding Radio 1 "catering for the masses" they actually form so many people's music tastes by pushing their playlists to the extreme - it's more dictating to the masses.

I have a wide range of musical tastes but don't really listen to day time Radio 1 as the playlist is tremendously tedious - I don't want to hear the same songs 4 or 5 times a day - all they do is simply play whatever they consider popular at the time and a it at their target audience, who generally buy it! Hell, even I've starting doubting myself and thinking the Script are actually amazing!!!

They aren't "catering to the masses" at all, they're doing the opposite. For one random week a year they're catering for a niche audience of metalheads who usually wouldn't listen to Radio 1 because the standard playlist doesn't suit them, and at the same time alienating the 6m+ daily listeners who tune in for the bland chart music like Taylor Swift which their daytime DJ's usually focus on. It's bizarre.

Is there any chance of Channel 4 doing any live coverage on 4Music? or at least full sets from some of the acts

Radio1 does cater for alot of types of people, just look at the Big Weekend where 30STM were playing on the same card as the Saturdays

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked next weekends TV listings for 4Music and from 16:40 to 19:00 they are showing V Festival 2013 live on the saturday. Dont know about the sunday but I guess it will be similar.

Channel 4 has half an hour from 16:10 to 16:40 of V Festival 2013:Saturday so guessing this will be followed directly by the 4music coverage. Just thought I would say :P