Sziget 2013

Guest Uncle Liam

Hmmm, well obviously not today now! :( In fact, the lack of rumours/leaks on the szigetnews site makes me think that it'll be next week at the earliest now - although I could be wrong.

Just hope that the announcement contains some pleasant surprises, seeing as it looks as if SOAD are incredibly unlikely to play now, and the majority of the stuff being rumoured doesn't really take my fancy (although NIN would be a good call) ....... However, SOAD are a must see for us this year, so I think we'll probably go and see them in Prague.

Really want Phoenix to play. And Atoms for Peace. Nearly as much as I want Apparat.

The new Phoenix album sounds quality and Atoms for Peace were unbelievable the last time I saw them (arguably the best gig I've ever been to)

Edited by edfirth

szigetnews.com says the following: “new names in all styles for various stages will be announced Wednesday! And much more to come…”

Not sure what to make of the new names in all styles bit. What do they mean by "all styles"? Sounds to me like they're trying to distract people from the fact that there are no headliners .......

Not sure to make of the fact that there are no headliners either. Is it that they have no headliners, or are they still in negotiations, or is it that they have a couple of not particularly exciting or original headliners in reserve that they will wait to announce until a larger proportion of the undercard has been revealed? The fact that there have been absolutely no hints or rumours from anywhere is also quite worrying - unless, of course, they are working on a major scoop that will be revealed in due course? Someone like, off the top of my head, Bowie?

Edited by PastCaring

Very very disappointed in this :( Only a couple of bands here that I would be interested in seeing ... I'm wondering if some of these, however, will turn out to be headliners - a few people have commented on Editors - and didn't Dizzee Rascal headline Glastonbury the other year? Also notice that the Sziget advertisements are saying that they have (only) 4 stages - which presumably means that they've downsized, and that most of the smaller stages have been gotten rid of ..... Doesn't seem to be the variety of music styles that they had in previous years either - all seems to be electronica/pop/dance with a bit of token ska punk thrown in for good measure - nothing there that could remotely be described as, for example, metal ..... Seriously beginning to wonder if we were a bit hasty in booking our hotel so early for this event! :(

For me the announcement is better than I expected. TEED, Chase & Status live, Enter Shikari and Netsky live are great additions imo, while Editors and Dizzee Rascal are very decent acts as long as they don't headline. Also I'm quite curious for some of the less well known and upcoming acts, like Everything Everything, Alex Clare, Tame Impala and Woodkid.

Few decent acts but nothing to get you excited.
Considering that there is just one headliner announced by almost mid March it could only mean that they're still negotiating or have nothing special by now. Having this in mind it's indeed very possible that one or more of these acts to become headliners on a later phase - for example Editors. There is no point of hiding big acts when most other festivals (maybe only Pukkelpop is exception) have announced the big names in their line up-s.
Edited by ro55en

Maybe not you, but they do get me excited. For the undercard I think these names are quite strong.

Undercard? Yes, I am quite sure that the acts announced today won't be the headliners, since Sziget explicitly told these acts are "playing at the Main Stage in the afternoon, or waiting for you at the cool A38 stage and at the mega-party tent, the Arena!" When has Sziget been that clear about the slots of their acts at this time of the year? Usually they keep on being vague about questionable headliners until about May or June. Also has Sziget been late with announcing headliners before (remember Prince being announced mid-July?), so I don't think there's need to worry yet.

I have to read between the lines here because there's a lot to be announced. If you'd told me that at this stage we'd know one main stage headliner, and that'd be Blur, 40% of the arena including Boys Noize and Empire of the Sun and 60% of the A38 stage including Tame Impala, I'd be pretty happy. At that rate I'm looking at maybe 10 bands I really, really want to see which is pretty good going

On the other hand, there aren't a lot of bands that I'd like to see but not desperately. I'd enjoy watching Dizzee Rascal, Editors, Chase & Status, Chris Leibing, Everything Everything, Sebastian Ingrosso and Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, but it's really scraping the barrel of acts I'd want to see

To be honest I'm REALLY happy that I get to see two of the best three live acts I saw last year again (Blur, Boys Noize and Bon Iver, who to be fair are now split up so I was never going to see them again) plus the band who released my favourite album of last year (Tame Impala). Empire of the Sun are a big, unexpected bonus. I didn't even realise they were still going. I've just looked at their website and there's only one post in the past year, which says 'The Empire Forges On... Stay tuned'

If I got two of Phoenix, Vitalic and Apparat now I'd basically be happy, I've given up on the hope for Atoms for Peace

edit- Ooooh, just realised who Woodkid is. Wondered who wrote the song below. I like it

Edited by edfirth

Very very disappointed in this :( Only a couple of bands here that I would be interested in seeing ... I'm wondering if some of these, however, will turn out to be headliners - a few people have commented on Editors - and didn't Dizzee Rascal headline Glastonbury the other year? Also notice that the Sziget advertisements are saying that they have (only) 4 stages - which presumably means that they've downsized, and that most of the smaller stages have been gotten rid of ..... Doesn't seem to be the variety of music styles that they had in previous years either - all seems to be electronica/pop/dance with a bit of token ska punk thrown in for good measure - nothing there that could remotely be described as, for example, metal ..... Seriously beginning to wonder if we were a bit hasty in booking our hotel so early for this event! :(

Edited by edfirth