Cooking @ Rockness - clarification please!

Guest trocse

Long time listener, first time caller!

Camp stoves etc at rockness, what there policy, i cant see anything on the website, and anything ive found on here has been from a few years ago!

Disposable BBQ's ?

Gas Stoves ? [probably not]

Hexamine army type stoves ?

Kelly Kettles ?

Any clarification on the above would be great!

I like a brew in the morning, and refuse to pay over the odds for a tea bag and paper cup, would also prefer to keep costs down by cooking breakfast and dinner somehow!

Thanks in advance

I took a gas one with me back in 08 and they took it off me at the entrance. would not let me take the gas in at all incase i "Created an explosion".

I told them i was a nice guy and just wanted to have some beans and a cup of tea but they were having none of it. I didnt take much money. ended up living off crisps and bread. it was shite.

now i just take money.

I recently emailed Rockness and they replied with the following:

We allow small gas stoves but not massive ones, and no naked flames are allowed either.

There isn't really anywhere to get hot water on site, but as gas stoves will be able to provide that, that problem doesn't concern you any more.

Even though they have emailed you saying small stoves will be ok, I'd be careful, this message might not have been relayed to everyone...

A couple of people we were with two years ago had a BBQ and the security came straight over and asked us to move it to the BBQ area or put it out.

Ah yeah I get you. I've emailed them again regarding this fact and have also asked if I could print out and use the email as an 'officially aloud to use one' of sorts. Will let you guys know what they say.

The fact that you can't get hot water on site and probably have to buy cups of tea/coffee is mad, but not surprising in the least. More for the missus anyway, she can't be doing without her tea!

If it helps, three years ago one of my mates too a tiny tiny stove, managed to make some tea and even some very pale bacon!

Buy a cheapie, hide it deep deep down in your rucksack and hope nobody finds it. And when using it, common sense of course, don't use it too close to any tents!

Hexi stoves are good for just hot water, but a gas stove is ideal for a bit breakfast.

That camping gas stove you linked in a good stove, I have one, 2 gas will last a weekend.

Can you forward me there reply and I will print it out for use if they find my stove!

http://www.gooutdoor...g-stove-p142491

We took one of those last year and had no problems at all, I had Glasto a couple of weeks later and was saving my cash for that so cooked all my own food last year. The advantage of RN being so small is that you can easily nip back to your tent for food or booze without wasting too much time.

I'd be careful with disposable bbqs though, folk camped next to us were forced to move their lit one to the designated cooking area after security noticed the smoke.

I don't think the problem is with camping stoves but with gas camping stoves. Alot of fests ghave banned gas stoves as you get the occasional dickhead who finds it funny to chuck a gas cannister onto a fire.

They've just posted on Facebook a picture of 'helpful' guides. One tells you to use designated BBQ areas.

So, since disposable BBQs are banned are they expecting you to take a full blown one?

What a shambles. Only reason I want to take one is the massive rip-off food prices are at festivals.

D'ya think if ah took pot noodles with me the burger vans would sell me boiling water to put in them? how much would they charge.

i could quite happily live off two pot noodles a day. may even go kingsize... but would be gutting if i had no hot water.

ave actually got one of those sausages in the fridge waiting on rockness.

cool thanks andrew. looks like im living of pot noodles then. pretty skint this year so it's either good food and nae drink or loads of drink and nae food.

think i'll go for the later... with ma pot noodles of course.