A headliner trend

Guest DR OK

Has anyone started to notice that headliners at R+L usually headline as the last date of their album?

Muse

RHCP

Foo Fighters

Kasbian

Radiohead

Are example of recent years, I wonder if since the Arctic Monkeys episode FR are reluctant to book headliners who have just had albums out.

Its why I expect Biffy and Bloc Party have been held back, so that their set will be well established for next year.

doubtful. i completely agree that its better not to have a headliner just after their new album comes out. However if R/L thinks a bands gonna sell tickets i doubt they care about when the album comes out. i.e. Metallica are due to headline* next year they are also due to release a album, no way in hell would they turn down Metallica! (on that basis alone)

*If you follow the 5 year rule lets not argue on this thread, this argument is going to start all over the forums for ages. lets argue about it closer to 2013 r/l please

doubtful. i completely agree that its better not to have a headliner just after their new album comes out. However if R/L thinks a bands gonna sell tickets i doubt they care about when the album comes out. i.e. Metallica are due to headline* next year they are also due to release a album, no way in hell would they turn down Metallica! (on that basis alone)

*If you follow the 5 year rule lets not argue on this thread, this argument is going to start all over the forums for ages. lets argue about it closer to 2013 r/l please

Ask and ye shall receive...

It's...OK. I'm quite fortunate in that I like all three headliners, if I didn't it would be pretty bad.

The Foos day is very strong, apart from All Time Low I could easily spend the whole day at the main stage if there's nothing else on. They probably could have got away with BFMV playing third, which makes the placings on the other days stand out more. No interest in the NME tent so far for that day. Pulled Apart By Horses opening is a masterstroke.

ATD-I/The Cribs is a really good pair for the tent on the Saturday, as much as I love Kasabian I can see myself watching The Cribs to avoid Florence and not returning. Main stage that day is poor, The Vaccines are OK but no interest in anything else. Hopefully the tents are strong that afternoon as I will actively avoid Odd Future and Enter Shikari, and The Shins bore me. Would like to check out Azealia Banks in the dance tent.

Friday is even worse. Like The Cure, hate Paramore, no interest in the rest (maybe Cancer Bats). Top three in the tent also seem a bit crummy, The Maccabees have been good last two times they've played but I don't like their new album and they lose out to The Cure anyway. Again hopefully the tents have some gems lined up for the afternoon.

My main interest now lies with Mark Lanegan and which night he plays (if he does), he'd draw me away from The Cure but not the Foos. A Kasabian/ATD-I/Mark Lanegan clash would be dreadful.

As I mentioned yesterday some of the placings are really weird. BFMV, The Cribs, Gaslight Anthem and The Courteeners could all be a place higher and people would probably accept it, while BBC, The Shins, Foster The People and The Vaccines could drop at least one position and not look out of place. Odd Future and Crystal Castles on the main stage is surprising.

It could have been so much better, the rest of the R1/NME tent and FR tent announcements will decide whether it's going to be a lot of hanging around for a handful of really good bands or a good weekend of watching some decent smaller bands topped off by really good headliners. At least with fewer bands announced this year there's more to look forward to.

Edited by mrtourette