Napton Festival

Guest ukslim

An acquaintance of mine asks:

Napton Festival

Anyone been before? Id never even considered it tbh. Just assumed it was a load of bearded freaks selling cows and rating fruit and veg or something. Spotted in the courier it's got Bluetones headlining the Saturday with The Total Stone Roses on before 'em. Only £20 Saturday or £22.50 both days. Might go along. Just wondered what it's like re: getting there, getting out, take your own beer or overpriced bars etc?

Answering some of my own questions...

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/napton/2011/

http://www.naptonfestival.co.uk/pages/index.php

T&Cs say no booze to be brought onto the site.

Neil, you can add the Bluetones as Saturday night headliners. I'm quite liking the look of this, with it being 11 miles from my home and all.

I'd still like to hear what people think of the vibe there, although it could be very different, being more expensive than last year and having quite different headliners.

• 1 month later...

Hey, it's my own little thread.

We popped over on Saturday since it was only £22.50 at the gate for a day ticket. It's a nice location, and the parking was well enough organised. The campsite looked pretty good, although I wasn't camping so didn't get a close look.

I was there in time to see 5 bands:

Vices - young band with strong 60s/70s rock influences. Think Tame Impala. Their lead guitarist is quite the talent.

Siberian Eel Hounds - a Coventry band doing crowd-pleasing covers

Section 60 - Sheffield band attempting to combine the sound of the Manics with the attitude of Oasis. The latter aspect managing to completely alienate the audience -- by bad-mouthing the covers bands, and insulting anyone in the crowd who wasn't dancing.

The Total Stone Roses - Got a good crowd going. You're not going to be fooled into thinking you've got the real Roses there, but they've got the chops to do the songs well, and 'Ian Brown' has a good attitude and works the audience well.

The Bluetones - I was front row for this, despite only knowing one of their songs. I really enjoyed it, and was surprised at the end to turn around and find that the crowd had been small.

-

Decent range of food. Local buffalo burgers, thai food, chilli, etc.

Face painting and stuff.

Note to the proprietor of "Indie-victuals" -- have a blackboard saying what you're selling and how much it costs, and you might get more custom!

The bar had great local ales from the Purity brewery, but was totally unable to deal with demand -- there were long queues, and they ran short of glasses. Note to them in future -- I would have bought *at least* 3 more pints, if I hadn't been put off by the queue.

Obviously there's only one stage; it's a tiny festival. I'd go again.

I'll be interested to know whether it was considered a success from a business perspective.

Edited by ukslim

Hey Mr Slim, can I join in on your very own thread?? well I will anyway...thinking of this festival for next year, couldnt make this year, shame as I wouldnt have minded seeing the Bluetones before they finish it for good. How much is it for the weekend? cant seem to find prices on the website..also Can you not bring your own beer? that is slightly off putting or do they mean just into the stage area?

To answer your 'was it a success question' did see on this on the website

The 2011 Festival was a great success with large numbers of people attending both days of this years festival, with many camping at the festival site for the weekend. The good weather really helped the atmosphere as everyone enjoyed the great line-up of local and UK bands whilst drinking Purity ales or Pimms & Lemonade and enjoying great food from local suppliers. A big thank you from the organisers to all those who came and made it such a fantastic event!So looks like it was. :)

I forget the weekend price. It was £22.50 for a day ticket. Extra fiver for camping maybe?

I saw someone asked to leave their bag of booze at the gate. The bouncer said they were welcome to pop out for a drink whenever they wanted. The fenced off area is just one small field, containing the stage and the stalls, but not the campsite, so you'd be able to drink your own booze there.