Campsite Colours...

Guest hayleytcharity

From Leeds Festival Offical Forums! Infomation they give are very much true!

WHITE VILLAGE, YELLOW BUBBLE and BLUE VALLEY CAMPSITES - Pre-2007 these were all the Yellow campsites, if you're looking for a party atmosphere, get yourself here early. They're the closest campsites to the arena so understandably they fill up fast, and traditionally its residents enjoy staying up late, that's if they sleep at all. By far the most sociable campsites - you will easily find a group singing Wonderwall on an off-key acoustic guitar at 4am who are more than willing to share a beer or a joint with you - however avoid them if you want a decent nights sleep.

RED CAMPSITE - Red is your in-betweener campsite: still lively, still very sociable, but you'll get a few hours kip should you feel the need. You'll find an almost neighbourhood-esque atmosphere here, many Leeds veretans swear by it. Though be warned, it is on a hill, so despite "top of Red" being a prime camping spot, it's not recommended if you're planning on stumbling back to your tent 'tired and emotional' after a few! It increased in size in 2009.

ORANGE CAMPSITE - Split into 2 parts and seperated by a beast of a hill, you have "Orange" and "Orange Fun Fair" sites, the latter named obviously after the fairground attractions you'll find yourself plonked by the side of. On one side of the hill is tranquility in the early hours of the morning, on the other (if 2007 is anything to go by, and licence pending this year) is the mother of all campsite parties! The Beef Warehouse Picadilly Party was located by the funfair last year, and most likely will be again, so that side of the site will be rammed full of revellers dancing to loud music, next to the very noisy fairground rides. So if you're big on your after-hours entertainment this will be perfect for you as you'll be staggering distance from your tent after you're done raving. However, beware of the mammoth hill leading up into Orange campsite, as much fun as it can be in the rain, it can be lethal on your thighs should you attempt it with a heavy rucksack. Use the path to the left of the hill for access with less of a gradient.

BROWN and GREEN CAMPSITES - The quiet ones, Brown more so than Green. They're a fair trek from the arena (about 20 minutes walk), however if you want a quiet night with little disturbances, you'll get a decent kip here. Brown campsite is more closely aimed at families (and those with campervans) so if you're a younger group looking for a good nights sleep then your best bet is probably Green campsite. Brown campsite has also increased in size

In My Opinion, Just dont camp on Orange FunFair! Lol I have no idea why people camp there. Ive only ever been on Green and its qaulity to have a laugh with ya mates and get a little sleep that you need.

I camped in Orange last time, behind the toilets (not as bad as it sounds!)

I was like a 2/3 minute walk from Picadilly Party and there was a DJ set about 30 seconds away too so it was quite lively but so easy to sleep after about 2am too.

I'd probably want to go into red next time though as the walk to the arena becomes very tedious and you get to the point where you can't be arsed, I'd hate to be in Green or Brown.

I'd just like to echo what a few people have said RE Orange Funfair.

Camped there my first year at Leeds. Awful, Awful campsite. We were literally right behind the rides, hardly got any sleep what-so-ever. And it's on a rather steep hill as well, doesn't seem like such a steep hill, but when you try getting to sleep on it, it's awful. Plenty of dicks about in there aswell; like people swinging shit in a bag attached to the end of a tent pole, onto the rides whilst people were on them.

Camped up the hill in Orange, in the same spot, every year since. There's plenty of flat space to get a decent camp set up. Doesn't fill up quickly either, so you can easily save spots for people. About 5 minutes walk from Piccadilly (Depends where abouts in Orange you are really) and isn't too quiet, but quiet enough to get sleep. And the people in there, in my experience, have been sound. Obviously, there will be the odd penis lurking about.

Spent last year a stones throw (literally) from orange campsite DJ and had an ace time. Obviously if hearing Rusko - Woo Boost until 5am isn't your thing you might want to camp a little further from the DJ booth but no complaints from orange apart from the odd knob who felt the need to throw his tent on the fire.

The hill is a killer after a skinfull but it has it's upsides. Like watching someone roll down in a steel barrel and end up in an ambulance.

• 2 weeks later...

Backing up what some have said, but yeah Green/Brown are the ones to aim for if you want peace. The rest are all going to be noisy until quite late. In any campsite people have the right to stay up and have a laugh since thats what its about. Unfortunately every campsite except brown and green also tends to suffer on sunday night from the actions of some idiots.

Obviously further from paths/loos/rides/campsite DJ = more sleep.

I have personally camped in orange a lot, it is a good laugh but it can be bad on sunday. Sadly, this is the way its gone, but i still loved it for its location and majority of people there.

In staff camping this year so will be much more chilled im sure :P

I would advise camping in Blue. It's near the arena but also near all the afterhours entertainment. It's a good laugh and quite busy but not overly mental so you can get a decent kip if you want. I've camped in Blue the last two years and felt pretty safe. You really need to get there the Wednesday to get the decent camping spots.

Just stay away from the rides.

Camped in blue last year and loved it. We got the early bird tickets so we had enough room to set up a big circle of tents with a gazebo/campfire in the middle. We could easily sleep at night if we wanted an early night but for staying up there was always a few people knocking round willing to have a quiet drink and sit round the campfire. Really friendly atmosphere, all the people camped around us would come over and have a drink now and again, helped up out when or tent fell down, we weren't robbed, burned or anything. The only downside was a group of chavs who squeezed in on the thursday, bunch of pricks, caused us a lot of bother while they were there but security were always right near by and clocked onto them, the second they got a little violent the entire group of them were turfed out and security kept an eye out for others. So I'd say if you want a short walk to the arena and a balance between a good atmosphere and ability to sleep you should go there. Orange looked shite, people I knew who camped there were all pretty up for a lash but they got sick of the dickheads after a couple of days.

We stopped in Brown, which despite being a bit of a trek was ideal really. Felt alot more laid back than the other campsites that you walk through to get to the arena, & had the compost loos too.

We got early birds and on the thursday it was only us pitched in our area and it also left us a fair bit of space outside the tent too which was nice to chill out.

We did have a bit of trouble when one lad opened the tent up and woke me up - "wrong tent" apparently, but these nobs are in the minority. Found the Sunday to be a bit rowdier, and as we camped under the campsite marker we did get a gang of lads srambling up for souveniers but they went after they'd got want they wanted!

Unless you have an early entry ticket, you will probably end up in green or brown, which ive stayed in and had a great time. Ive stayed in pretty much all of them to be honest and always had a good time. Yeah thers dick heads, but thats unavoidable, just get pissed and join in as much as you can! :lol:

My tip for sleeping is take an ipod...bang something shit on like snow patrol, stick your earphones deep in your ears, and it drowns out everything!! i always sleep like a baby to snow patrol! haha! trust me it works! i never make it past the second track on the album! haha!

Another tip is for the past two years they have opened the campsites at 3am on the thursday morning! people have started to get wise to it though, so if you dont have an early entry ticket, get there at about midnight wednesday night, queue for 3 hours (with a campchair and a few tins!), then take your pick of more campsites when the gates open at 3am. granted your pitching in the dark, but pop up tents sort that problem out!

All in all any campsite will be good if you just get in the LF spirit and let the good times roll!

Have a good one people! :D

I've had a crackin time in Yellow for the past 2 years, few fires on the sunday and such and the music's a bit loud until about 5am. If you're actually looking for a decent nights sleep then avoid yellow like the plague. It's full of people who don't want to sleep. We actually made every effort to keep one particularly boring member of our party from sleeping, it ended up being a quality night sat around with a few tinnies / joints just shouting his name ( we were directly outside his tent )

We received multiple death threats.

Welcome to Yellow camp!

• 4 weeks later...