Help for a Glastonbury novice

Guest j-j-j-j-joe!

Just thought I'd put this before the forums die down completely. Next year will (hopefully) be my first Glastonbury :D

Already been told about a million times: "Bring wellies!" (not that i would ever dconsider forgetting)

Anyone else got any general words of advice/warning/encouragement? :rolleyes:

tips we've picked up

1) Cover your tent with a 'space blanket' like this - we tried it for the first time and ohmigod does it make a difference - so much cooler inside.

2) Take a bucket, fill with water to keep beers cool

3) Invest in a decent mode of transporting your kit from car to camp - we bought one of these and it was literally worth its weight in gold.

4) Explore. Don't just hit the main stages, all the stuff on the periphery can be equally magical, if not more so

5) Watch the sunrise from the top of the hill at the stone circle at least once. Its a little piece of pure magic.

6) Talk to people - there is so much cameraderie there, so many interesting stories, so many amazing people

7) Have the time of your life!!! Glasto should be a compulsory experience for every person at least once in their lives - it changes people. It makes them better!!

Take some gloves to carry your stuff onto the sight (my hands where shredded to bits this year carrying tents booze etc!)

The only other thing to make sure you bring along is an open mind.. :)

You will have an amazing time that is guarenteed..

Edited by rubenz

Something I wish someone had said to me:

Although the build-up is dead exciting, and it's impossible not to obsess over who's playing and where - once you're there, forgot about most of that and just see where you end up and who you see. There's too much to try and plan, especially if you're with others and you'll only stress yourself out.

Something I wish someone had said to me:

Although the build-up is dead exciting, and it's impossible not to obsess over who's playing and where - once you're there, forgot about most of that and just see where you end up and who you see. There's too much to try and plan, especially if you're with others and you'll only stress yourself out.

Edited by rubenz

tips we've picked up

1) Cover your tent with a 'space blanket' like this - we tried it for the first time and ohmigod does it make a difference - so much cooler inside.

3) Invest in a decent mode of transporting your kit from car to camp - we bought one of these and it was literally worth its weight in gold.

4) Explore. Don't just hit the main stages, all the stuff on the periphery can be equally magical, if not more so

5) Watch the sunrise from the top of the hill at the stone circle at least once. Its a little piece of pure magic.

6) Talk to people - there is so much cameraderie there, so many interesting stories, so many amazing people

7) Have the time of your life!!! Glasto should be a compulsory experience for every person at least once in their lives - it changes people. It makes them better!!

Don't plan too much, if the choice is between rushing off to one stage to catch one band or bimbling over to another, opt for a bimble.

Don't blindly follow the crowds - turn off the main tracks, you'll be amazed by what you find.

Do take suncream, wellies, good waterproofs, a hat - plan for all weathers basically, but don't go OTT with stuff you won't wear / use.

Enjoy yourself. It's one of the most wonderful places on earth!

Thanks guys! Not too worried about tickets, people on another thread have done a lot to reassure me!

And obviously if there's someone like Radiohead on, nothing on earth will stop me from getting there, but other than that I shall go wherever my fancy shall take me ;)

what Elliot says, just enjoy yourself

and as for the cost/money..my answer's simple - if you worry you cant afford it, sack off a few nights out up town/down the pub and put that money towards glasto

I never cut back my spending at glasto , I'd rather cut back my crap nights out up here :)

tips we've picked up

Don't plan too much - don't take too much stuff.

Smallest tent possible, lightest gear etc. whatever medical supplies you need, clothes - done.

Don't bother taking stuff to make your tent more pleasant or habitable. Pointless. You won't / shouldn't be in there much anyway. Don't bother taking tons of cans of cider / beer. You will be "that guy" carrying a dozen cans of hot lager (past hundreds of bars) around all day.

1. Get your wristband put next to the hand you DON'T wipe your arse with (although this knowledge did lead to me to a TOO MUCH INFORMATION situation with my dad :blink:).

2. Take LOADS of socks. I take 15 pairs, and this year was the first year I've not needed them all (plan for 3x pairs per day, which you'll need if you're in wellies).

3. Don't take too much booze, or you'll face the dilemma of ditching it or having to lug it home. Next year I'm not going to bother with much cider and just take spirits instead.

4. Be prepared to walk a LONG way. The best bits are often on the outskirts of the site.

5. Spend most of your days in the run up to the festival on here, obsessing like a crazy person :D

Edited by clockworkpurple

Don't plan too much - don't take too much stuff.

Smallest tent possible, lightest gear etc. whatever medical supplies you need, clothes - done.

Don't bother taking stuff to make your tent more pleasant or habitable. Pointless. You won't / shouldn't be in there much anyway. Don't bother taking tons of cans of cider / beer. You will be "that guy" carrying a dozen cans of hot lager (past hundreds of bars) around all day.