Leave No Trace

Guest Bill Syke's Dog

I am pleased to say I took all my belongings home with me in addition to 3 tents (ready packed), 1 cool box, 1 pair of good quality wellies, 12 straw hats and about 50 cans of assorted beer and cider. I should point out that the extra items were not removed by stealth as I made a point of asking if they were no longer required. I also found a total of £2.56 in small change on my way to buy a Sunday paper. Did anybody else fair better?

As the gang I travel with always forces me off site by 7am I didn't manage to go tatting but I still managed to acquire a brand new blanket that had been lost/dropped, a dead tent that I plan on turning into something nifty...watch this space and the best find - a perfect sack truck in W52 that had been left behind.

I didn't pick up anything that had been left behind and if I am honest the field we were camped in was certainly a lot cleaner than I have seen it in previous years which was great! :D

I can say with hand on heart that I took everything home with me that I took with me (other than drinking all my booze!!) and that I didn't drop a single piece of litter during the entire festival (tabs included)!

I don't know if the nice weather on the moday contributed, but the festival site, from where I saw it anyway, was much better this year than any other year I have been there!

:D

took everything with us, including our food and beer. my gf went around the surrrounding area and picked up over 30 tent pegs which other people had left!!!! i then found a pair of proper ugg boots. nothing wrong with them, just a bit muddy checked them and by some miracle they were my girlfriends size. £150 boots just left because there dirty. there now washed and i am officially the best boyfriend in the world for now..

maybe a bit tidier than last year but still a complete disgrace the amount of perfectly good equipment that was left behind :angry: our neighbours (who we never seen all weekend) left behind a brand new four man tent, four brand new sleeping bags, four brand new air beds, brand new folding sacktruck/trolley, brand new gazebo and a brand new bbq complete with huge bag of charcoal, infact all they took home were their clothes! obviously more money than sense so the remaining five of our group had a bit of a scavenging session before we left and ended up leaving with most of our rich neighbours gear plus another seven or eight tents, ten camping chairs, two self inflating roll mats,five sleeping bags, two foot pumps, some torches and some other bits and bobs which we reckon more than covered the price of all our tickets and helped reduce the amount of stuff going to landfill in the process :) i really dread to think how much would have been left if it was muddy so i doubt the love the farm leave no trace message has had very little affect at all :( also noticed quite a few tents had been deliberately slashed or poles broken to stop anyone making use of then by the selfish twats who left them! seemed to be quite a bit of extra rubbish left by the england 'fans' who no longer wanted their england flags, chairs, hats etc too! one of our group also made a point of collecting any tickets he found in abandoned tents and has had the cunning plan of printing up letters that will look like they have come from glastonbury festival themselves saying that due to the rubbish they left they are no longer welcome at the festival and the address on the ticket has been black listed from future ticket sales so hopefully that might stop a few lazy bastards from attending again! :lol:

Left nothing whatsoever apart from a distinctly yellow patch of grass and a small amount of general rubbish in a bin bag as per usual - not even a stray dog end, cup or anything else that I'm aware of not where it should have been B)

Recycled a couple of bags from amongst the cr@p abandoned in the Pyramid Field for the 2 near pristine but bagless chairs that I recycled last year that have provided much good service since being rescued from the prospect of ending up in a landfill stylee grave :lol:

Edited by mikeb

I felt a bit guilty when, on reaching my car, I remembered that I had forgotten to take my bin bag full of rubbish to a bin point and had just left it where I had camped. Damn. Really sorry. I am usually so meticulous about that. Can I blame my meds?

I left behind two pieces of penne pasta and some coffee ground. :rolleyes:

I also left behind (in the correct bin though) 7 plastic bottles as they do not get recycled were

I live, 4 cups from beer and lemonade, two plates and a couple of wooden forks.

Thats it. All other rubbish came back with me.

The state of the site by the time we left (Monday 2:30pm) was much better than previous years but there's still lots of room for improvement.

I must admit that apart from the usual bagged up rubbish/recycling, we did leave our gazebo. It had done us proud over the last 4 Glastos (and other events/festivals inbetween) but the wind on Sunday afternoon caught it, turned it upside down and bent and broke several of the poles. I managed to do a quick fix with Gaffa tape but that only lasted so long. We did pack it back away in it's box though, we didn't just leave it lying there. Sorry Michael.

However, by way of karma(?) we scavanged... 8 fold up chairs, 1 4-man tent, 2 buckets, a gas stove (and 3 cans of gas), a box of brand new tent pegs and 2 large bottles of diet coke (refreshment for the way home). If we had more room in the car we would have taken more. I also tidied up some of the pitches around us, piling up some of the rubbish and picked up as many fag butts as I could find in the vicinity.

This is our camp just before we left (we took the pile of stuff in the middle):

P1040869p.JPG

I wish I could have taken extra stuff but unfortunately one of our group was on crutches so we helped carry some of her stuff each. One of our group did take a cool box he found. There were loads of abandoned beers this year, I just wish I had spare hands to take them.

As above, the field we were in was much better than previous years but there were still far too many good quality items left behind by some people.

Found a few nice brand new looking shirts that someone had abandoned amongst a pile of rubbish, a set of used-only-once tent pegs and a small LED torch. Left behind a bag of rubbish. Shame that so many chairs and tents were still left this year, although mostly they had at least been packed away before being discarded.

one of our group also made a point of collecting any tickets he found in abandoned tents and has had the cunning plan of printing up letters that will look like they have come from glastonbury festival themselves saying that due to the rubbish they left they are no longer welcome at the festival and the address on the ticket has been black listed from future ticket sales so hopefully that might stop a few lazy bastards from attending again!

Edited by mikeb

packed up everything - like you guys say it's really not hard to do! Especially if you lkeep your camp area but tidy as you go, just stick rubbish in a bag it's not hard!

Left late Sunday so no scavenging although I am sure I would like to do this, I could right in to the whole Womble challenge.

But we found over the course of a few days - a beachball, a glowstick, a water carrier, a ten pound note and a few pound coins, a vuvuzela and a can of Monster energy drink!

one of our group also made a point of collecting any tickets he found in abandoned tents and has had the cunning plan of printing up letters that will look like they have come from glastonbury festival themselves saying that due to the rubbish they left they are no longer welcome at the festival and the address on the ticket has been black listed from future ticket sales so hopefully that might stop a few lazy bastards from attending again! :lol:

This year I was very pleased with the amount we took home with us. We did so much better than last year, apart from the bagged recyclable rubbish we left a crate of beer (which will get used by the site workers hopefully) and 2 mint plants (which i was going to plant down by one of the fences in the hope of having it on growing wild next year for Pimms/Mojitos) :-) I was particularly impressed with the Family field/Wicket ground which looked almost exactly the same as when it was empty on the Wednesday.