photographers & glasto

Guest Deepsky

Im just planning on buying a cheap second hand digital camera off ebay with a large GB SD card! so it wont be a huge loss if it was to be stolen or misplaced! Just would be gutted about losing the photos!

• 3 months later...
I took a 24-70 for crowd and panos etc. and a 70-200 to try to get closer to the stages. As these are both f/2.8 full format lenses they are bleeding heavy. I would have liked to go wider at times and also have had a longer reach - but they did a great job. I made use of both of them equally - so can't really leave either at home next time. I could do with one or two fixed lenses - like a 20mm & 50mm for times when my back needs a rest and then leave the zooms in the lockups for a bit.

I've also got a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 but did leave that one at home!

I'm going through the photos to upload onto flickr. if I remember I'll bump this thread with a link when I'm done.

Finally uploaded some of my Glastonbury 2009 photos:

See some here (4 posts of 5 photos each): /index.php?s=&showtopic=136701&view=findpost&p=3106369">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...t&p=3106369

Or for my Flickr set (60 photos) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j_hunt/sets/72157623390546480/

cheers

All I can say is you need to be very careful where cameras are concerned. Over the years I've seen some very, very foolish people around the site. When will they ever learn it's not big, it's not clever and they'll only regret it!

Never...

Never...

NEVER...

buy a Nikon!

As for me - once again I'll be taking my superb Canon 40D :P

Excellent question. I tried a lot of different settings and still had to tweak in post processing.

For the crowd shot at Arcadia I went with: Aperture priority: I chose matrix metering and f/3.5, the camera matched it with 1/40th shutter speed and I let it choose the ISO which was 1000 in this case. I had also set the camera to over expose by .7 of a stop. That was was pretty much spot on.

For the portrait formatted shot of the Pyramid stage with Blur performing and the moon in shot I went with: Aperture priority again: I chose f/5.6, camera chose 1/40th again and also decided on ISO 1600. I tweaked it down a third of a stop in post processing, but not sure it needed that.

I tend to set the camera to use a minimum of 1/40th of a second shutter speed before it starts zooming up the ISO as with the 24-70mm lens, or using the short end of the 70-200mm lens, that is about as slow as I can go without too much getting camera shake.

And no, those settings weren't from memory! I just checked the EXIF data.

The more challenging ones were the indoor no flash shots (flash not allowed in the Acoustic tent) of Hugh Cornwell for example. I went with matrix metering, but under exposed by 2 stops. Again, low shutter speed (1/40th), large aperture (f/3.2) but managed to use low ISO (250) as I was underexposing. At normal metered exposure his face would have been seriously overexposed.

I still needed to tweak the highlights or shadows a bit in post processing to bring back some detail - I use Nikon's Capture NX2 for that.

For most gig shots in our local club that has a horrendous lighting setup (most of it is pitch black with bright spots on one or two of the band members faces) I normally go with manual exposure settings and experiment by bracketing etc. but always have to use a little flash or ISO ranging from 1600 up to 6400.

Hope this helps!