Tips for first timers?

Guest Steven_92

The red flag bar has a selection of real ales, straight out the cask like at beer festivals. There are also tables and chairs when you need a sit down and a normal pint.

Like others have said don't try to go to 5 gigs in one day! Don't feel you need to watch every band walk on and off stage, there is nothing wrong with leaving one stage half way through a set to catch the second half of someone else.

Explore the other areas of the site away from the main stages...Circus, theatre, comedy, poetry, greenfields etc all of them make glastonbury what it is

Try and catch one of the headline acts even if you don't particularly like them, you don't get much chance to see Neil, Bruce or Blur these days...my choice would be Bruce

Get to see some of the smaller acts even if just for a couple of songs...Bombay Bicycle Club, Boxer rebellion and The virgins would be my choice.

Relax, enjoy yourself and start thinking about next years Glasto on the 29th!

VICKS VAPOUR RUB USER GUIDE

Vicks is a definite IMHO, but there is an order to do things otherwise you will finish up with a stinging sensation in places you don't want to be stinging in (disclaimer : if you like stinging genitalia, I'm not judging you)

1. Apply Vapour Rub under nose

2. Wipe hand with wet wipe

3. Go to loo

4. Clean hands

5. Clean Vapour Rub off nose with wet wipe

I can't emphasise enough, Step 2 is the deal breaker. Miss that and step 3 will hurt.

We also normally camp near the Other stage as it's quite good being near that stage and not too far from the Park either. I'd say that the best thing to do is work out who you really don't want to miss and the rest of the time have a bit of a wander, you never know what bands might be playing and it's good to stumble upon a good band by accident! I'd also say that Wednesday and Thursday are the best days for exploring the whole site and wandering about. I also find that you can get as drunk as you like on the Wednesday as there aren't as many bands on the Thursday so if a lie in is required then you don't miss too much! As others have said have a great time and don't just stick to the Pyramid stage all day, enjoy!!

Get chatting to your tent neighbours - you won't have met them before, you probably won't see them again afterwards, but you will know if it's not them wandering up and rummaging around in their tent.

And on a similar theme, if you do spot any lowlife pondscum in the wrong tent feel free to give them a good kicking (in the purposes of self-defence) while someone goes and gets security.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of ’09. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your surroundings; oh never mind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your surroundings until you're back home. Trust me, in 2 weeks time you’ll look back at photos of yourself there and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked in that jesters hat….You were more drunk than you imagined. Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to race between the Pyramid stage and the Other stage after a Amy Winehouse show. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind of poohill that you encounter in a portaloo in the Dance Field at 11pm on the Sunday. Do one thing everyday that scares you. Sing. Don’t be reckless with other people’s guy ropes but learn to be tolerant of people who are reckless with yours. Smoke stuff. Don’t waste your time on second guessing who will play the best set; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself. Concentrate on the good times, forget the bad; if you succeed in doing this, you'll fit right in. Wear your old trainers, throw away your fashion statements. Brothers Bar. Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your next half hour…the most interesting times I've had are with people who didn't even know their own names or where they wanted to go, some of the very most interesting people probably still don't. Sunrise. Be kind to your legs, you’ll never need them as much as you do here. Maybe you’ll see comedy, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll do the Headliners, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll do Pieminister, maybe you’ll find yourself dancing to Status Quo with a Policeman …whatever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your choices are half chance and half alcohol, and so are everybody else’s. Enjoy your body, use your personality…don’t be afraid, or worry what other people think, it’s the greatest place on earth... Dance…even if you have no-one to do it with. Read Q Daily's tips, even if you don’t follow them. Do NOT inhale in the portaloos, they will only make you feel sick. Get to know your neighbours, you never know when you'll need them. Talk; it's the best crowd in the world and people are the things most likely to make you smile. Understand that crowds will come and go, but that a precious few folk deserve massive hugs and your number. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography because the more you see, the more you'll realize how wonderful the place really is. Visit the Burlesque show once - but leave before it makes you hard; visit Shangri-La once, but leave before it makes you warped. Bimble. Accept certain inalienable truths, when you get back people will expect you to have seen a thousand bands and you will have spent more than you intended, and you'll look back and wonder how you didn't see more sets and you convinced yourself to buy that glo in the dark woollen cardigan. Respect everyone. Don’t expect anyone else to support you unless you're properly falling over. Maybe you have a spare phone battery, maybe you have toilet roll; but you never know when either one might run out. Don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time it's Friday, it will look 85. Be careful which mushrooms you buy, and be thankful to those who supply them. Glastonbury is a life holiday, the time is all about doing the things you love best, building it up, breaking it down, painting new coats over the best parts and then doing it even better again next time. And trust me on the sunscreen!!!!!!!!! :lol:

P.S. Sorry for the length of this - couldn't resist!!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of ’09. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your surroundings; oh never mind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your surroundings until you're back home. Trust me, in 2 weeks time you’ll look back at photos of yourself there and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked in that jesters hat….You were more drunk than you imagined. Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to race between the Pyramid stage and the Other stage after a Amy Winehouse show. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind of poohill that you encounter in a portaloo in the Dance Field at 11pm on the Sunday. Do one thing everyday that scares you. Sing. Don’t be reckless with other people’s guy ropes but learn to be tolerant of people who are reckless with yours. Smoke stuff. Don’t waste your time on second guessing who will play the best set; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself. Concentrate on the good times, forget the bad; if you succeed in doing this, you'll fit right in. Wear your old trainers, throw away your fashion statements. Brothers Bar. Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your next half hour…the most interesting times I've had are with people who didn't even know their own names or where they wanted to go, some of the very most interesting people probably still don't. Sunrise. Be kind to your legs, you’ll never need them as much as you do here. Maybe you’ll see comedy, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll do the Headliners, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll do Pieminister, maybe you’ll find yourself dancing to Status Quo with a Policeman …whatever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your choices are half chance and half alcohol, and so are everybody else’s. Enjoy your body, use your personality…don’t be afraid, or worry what other people think, it’s the greatest place on earth... Dance…even if you have no-one to do it with. Read Q Daily's tips, even if you don’t follow them. Do NOT inhale in the portaloos, they will only make you feel sick. Get to know your neighbours, you never know when you'll need them. Talk; it's the best crowd in the world and people are the things most likely to make you smile. Understand that crowds will come and go, but that a precious few folk deserve massive hugs and your number. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography because the more you see, the more you'll realize how wonderful the place really is. Visit the Burlesque show once - but leave before it makes you hard; visit Shangri-La once, but leave before it makes you warped. Bimble. Accept certain inalienable truths, when you get back people will expect you to have seen a thousand bands and you will have spent more than you intended, and you'll look back and wonder how you didn't see more sets and you convinced yourself to buy that glo in the dark woollen cardigan. Respect everyone. Don’t expect anyone else to support you unless you're properly falling over. Maybe you have a spare phone battery, maybe you have toilet roll; but you never know when either one might run out. Don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time it's Friday, it will look 85. Be careful which mushrooms you buy, and be thankful to those who supply them. Glastonbury is a life holiday, the time is all about doing the things you love best, building it up, breaking it down, painting new coats over the best parts and then doing it even better again next time. And trust me on the sunscreen!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Probably some have been stated but

Don't forget your ticket, wellys. sunscreen, wet wipes, tent

wear good comfy boots not new ones

use lockups if you have anything nickable / divide your money

Spend the first day orientating yourself (its huge) and meeting people and generally getting into the atmosphere

Don't plan to many bands - My mistake always; If you miss one band your probably watching just as good

band on another stage - best experiences I had were with acts that I have never seen.

Take time to explore the non music parts of the festival - Caberet tent, greenfields, avalon field etc

Don't forget that the party BEGINs when last band leaves the pyramid (shangri la etc) - you may want to adjust your sleeping patterns accordingly so late start and a late finish but don't deprive yourself of sleep.

Make sure you carry water stop dehydration. Pace yourself with the booze - long day so its a marathon not a sprint

Finding random stuff and meeting new people is best element of glastonbury

Most of all smile at everyone (and expect same back)

Enjoy the power and beauty of your surroundings; oh never mind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your surroundings until you're back home. Trust me, in 2 weeks time you’ll look back at photos of yourself there and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked in that jesters hat….You were more drunk than you imagined. Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to race between the Pyramid stage and the Other stage after a Amy Winehouse show. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind of poohill that you encounter in a portaloo in the Dance Field at 11pm on the Sunday. Do one thing everyday that scares you. Sing. Don’t be reckless with other people’s guy ropes but learn to be tolerant of people who are reckless with yours. Smoke stuff. Don’t waste your time on second guessing who will play the best set; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself. Concentrate on the good times, forget the bad; if you succeed in doing this, you'll fit right in. Wear your old trainers, throw away your fashion statements. Brothers Bar. Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your next half hour…the most interesting times I've had are with people who didn't even know their own names or where they wanted to go, some of the very most interesting people probably still don't. Sunrise. Be kind to your legs, you’ll never need them as much as you do here. Maybe you’ll see comedy, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll do the Headliners, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll do Pieminister, maybe you’ll find yourself dancing to Status Quo with a Policeman …whatever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your choices are half chance and half alcohol, and so are everybody else’s. Enjoy your body, use your personality…don’t be afraid, or worry what other people think, it’s the greatest place on earth... Dance…even if you have no-one to do it with. Read Q Daily's tips, even if you don’t follow them. Do NOT inhale in the portaloos, they will only make you feel sick. Get to know your neighbours, you never know when you'll need them. Talk; it's the best crowd in the world and people are the things most likely to make you smile. Understand that crowds will come and go, but that a precious few folk deserve massive hugs and your number. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography because the more you see, the more you'll realize how wonderful the place really is. Visit the Burlesque show once - but leave before it makes you hard; visit Shangri-La once, but leave before it makes you warped. Bimble. Accept certain inalienable truths, when you get back people will expect you to have seen a thousand bands and you will have spent more than you intended, and you'll look back and wonder how you didn't see more sets and you convinced yourself to buy that glo in the dark woollen cardigan. Respect everyone. Don’t expect anyone else to support you unless you're properly falling over. Maybe you have a spare phone battery, maybe you have toilet roll; but you never know when either one might run out. Don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time it's Friday, it will look 85. Be careful which mushrooms you buy, and be thankful to those who supply them. Glastonbury is a life holiday, the time is all about doing the things you love best, building it up, breaking it down, painting new coats over the best parts and then doing it even better again next time. And trust me on the sunscreen!!!!!!!!! :D

my advice ....

take a box of immodium (not all at once)

and you will find you dont need to spend any long periods of time in the porta loos , saving the no. 2's till you get back home :D plus it helps stop in its tracks any over indulging you did the night before :D

be it from cider or the cheeseburger you ate.

trust me.. you will get more belly ache letting 'it' go out the natural way, down the portaloo road... than keeping 'it' in till you get home, with the aid of immodium :)

ps.

Don't go to bed until it starts to get light.
Edited by barbienightmare

Enjoy the power and beauty of your surroundings; oh never mind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your surroundings until you're back home. Trust me, in 2 weeks time you’ll look back at photos of yourself there and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked in that jesters hat….You were more drunk than you imagined. Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to race between the Pyramid stage and the Other stage after a Amy Winehouse show. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind of poohill that you encounter in a portaloo in the Dance Field at 11pm on the Sunday. Do one thing everyday that scares you. Sing. Don’t be reckless with other people’s guy ropes but learn to be tolerant of people who are reckless with yours. Smoke stuff. Don’t waste your time on second guessing who will play the best set; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself. Concentrate on the good times, forget the bad; if you succeed in doing this, you'll fit right in. Wear your old trainers, throw away your fashion statements. Brothers Bar. Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your next half hour…the most interesting times I've had are with people who didn't even know their own names or where they wanted to go, some of the very most interesting people probably still don't. Sunrise. Be kind to your legs, you’ll never need them as much as you do here. Maybe you’ll see comedy, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll do the Headliners, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll do Pieminister, maybe you’ll find yourself dancing to Status Quo with a Policeman …whatever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your choices are half chance and half alcohol, and so are everybody else’s. Enjoy your body, use your personality…don’t be afraid, or worry what other people think, it’s the greatest place on earth... Dance…even if you have no-one to do it with. Read Q Daily's tips, even if you don’t follow them. Do NOT inhale in the portaloos, they will only make you feel sick. Get to know your neighbours, you never know when you'll need them. Talk; it's the best crowd in the world and people are the things most likely to make you smile. Understand that crowds will come and go, but that a precious few folk deserve massive hugs and your number. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography because the more you see, the more you'll realize how wonderful the place really is. Visit the Burlesque show once - but leave before it makes you hard; visit Shangri-La once, but leave before it makes you warped. Bimble. Accept certain inalienable truths, when you get back people will expect you to have seen a thousand bands and you will have spent more than you intended, and you'll look back and wonder how you didn't see more sets and you convinced yourself to buy that glo in the dark woollen cardigan. Respect everyone. Don’t expect anyone else to support you unless you're properly falling over. Maybe you have a spare phone battery, maybe you have toilet roll; but you never know when either one might run out. Don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time it's Friday, it will look 85. Be careful which mushrooms you buy, and be thankful to those who supply them. Glastonbury is a life holiday, the time is all about doing the things you love best, building it up, breaking it down, painting new coats over the best parts and then doing it even better again next time. And trust me on the sunscreen!!!!!!!!! :)