Stewarding

Guest greenfirefest

Hey guys, this will be my first year of stewarding at Glastonbury (couldnt afford the ticket, but blow me down if I was gonna miss a Glasto!)

Just wondering if any of you had done stewarding before, and had any good/bad stories to tell?

Im really looking foward to it, seeing all the festy goers as they come in etc (gettin excited thinking about it!) :angry:

Right.

Have done this twice at Glasto for Oxfam now (assume this the organisation you are working for), in 2005 and 2008.

Far too much to talk about, but a few issues you should definately aim to avoid:

Absolutely make sure you have signed the register (whatever form that takes), when you start your shift, or they will say after the fest that you failed to turn up to one, so you don't get your deposit back, and they blacklist you so you can't work for them again.

Absolutely make sure you get the names of some of the people you do a shift with - at least one per shift, and preferably with photographs. That way, when they inevitably loose said register (see above), and them subsequently claim that you never turned up to any of your shifts, keep your deposit and blacklist you, you can successfully appeal against that decsision without too much hassle. Had to do this for both years with Oxfam, who eventually had to apologise for their 'bookeeping'.

Aside from missing some festi (unless to get given pre-festi shifts - usually only the 'friends of the organisers and regulars' get these though), its actually a very worthwhile experience. Not least because you feel a part of the running and organisation of the festival. I did it because I felt after all the years I had been going, I wanted to help put something back. Bit miserable at night and when wet, but I'd probably do it again. Try to come down Monday or Tuesday if you can and goto the Oxfam party and get to meet a few people. Always a friendly bunch.

I done stewarding/security front of the pyrimad stage in 2005, bloody long days (11 - Midnight) but still had a great time.

Could go into most of the bars after work and get free drinks till about 3 in the morning which was a good touch.

It was also nice having a warm shower in the morning with decent toilets too. You will have a great time still!