Future Headliners

Guest mooseman

What bands that are around know who are playing elsewhere on the line-up do you think are potential future headliners. Bands such as blur, ratm, green day, muse etc. all went on to headline after playing smaller slots.

So who do you think from today's current crop of bands will progress and headline the festival/s in the next couple of years?

I think the ting tings, panic at the disco, fall out boy, scouting for girls have all got potential.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha, I think only a mod can do that!

I dont think any of the bands you mentioned have headlining potential (at least I hope not) ting tings are clearly a here today gone tommorow band, Scouting for girls are the wrong genre and an emo band has yet to headline Reading and Leeds and I doubt they will. Fall out boy are moving into a more rock based style so I suppose one day they could headline. It's hard to judge who will make it and who won't. It's quite rare thesedays for a band to slowly get bigger over time (kings of leon being an example) It seems bands now headline based on instant success after only 1 or 2 albums eg Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Razorlight etc. There hasn't been a big band like those to break through in a year or so now.

Someone else around here has been mentioning Klaxons to headline or second headline and i really don't see it.

Out of the bands mooseman mentioned i think only Fall Out Boy are the only real possibility and they have lost the trajectory that they once had and i can't see their profile rising much more than it already has.I can see them headlining Download at some point though.

Ting Tings?Never,not Reading.

Scouting For Girls?Are you taking the piss?

Panic! @ the Disco?Popular debut and critically acclaimed second but they are starting to fade.The do have time on their side though all being around 21 although i can't see them still together in 5 years time.

I don't know how small you want the size of the band to be with these guess's but i'd say the obvious choice's to headline in the near future who haven't yet are...

Snow Patrol - Headlining arena's and have had afew sleeper hits and commercial success under their belts now.Didn't think they would make the step up but with them announced as Oxygen headliner's then it seems make or break time for them.

Kasabian - Critical and commercial success,famous fans,heir apparent to the Oasis throne,high placement on other festival bills and if the new album deliver's then i'd say they're a cert for Friday headliner next year.

Bloc Party - High placement on the last few line up's,critical success from what i've heard,they've grown very organically as a band and in stature amongst the scene from what i can gather.Next logical step.

Lostprophets - People on here hate the idea but the facts don't lie.Last album went to number one,a big draw on the live circuit,three sold out tours alone on the last album with the final one being arena's,large fan base,always go down well at Reading drawing huge crowds,headlined Download.Again,next logical step.

My Chemical Romance - Before they went on hiatus they achieved huge commercial success in this country on the release of their 'Black Parade' album and bring the term 'emo' to the attention of middle class Britain.Sold out tours,number one album,huge fan base...been away awhile though and in today's climate might become a ''here today,gone tomorrow'' type band.

Always difficult to predict who'll go pop and acquire headline status. Perhaps one of the following in the next 5 years?

• Arcade Fire

• My Morning Jacket

• Nightmare of You (yet to hit these shores but might break through)

• Floors and Walls (local band that might explode in a few years time)

I think the problem these days is twofold.

One side is that the crowd is more fickle and has a shorter attention span, hence always wanting more, more, more and new, new, new.

Secondly, the bands being signed by the record companies are built to fit this 'quick-fix' desire.

Only a few have the shelf-life to go on to headline.

I agree that Arcade Fire could potentially headline a day at Reading. But I cannot see rubbish like Fall Out Boy or Panic At The Disco headlining purely because they only appeal to teenagers and children.

I think they are the sort of band that could get big if they were pushed. Went down really well at Download last year.

I wouldn't call Kings of Leon a pop band, they are just the best of who it is fashionable to like, mainly as the rest of the in bands are crap.