Latitude 2009

The Beard

Its actually quite fun to wind you lot up!

Here's what I know. It could be wrong, I have been let down before on things like this.

As far as I know, Uncut are right on at least 1 of the headliners, guaranteed. I'm pretty sure they're right on the other one. As for the third I have no idea...I'll have to pass. It sounds realistic though!

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its actually quite fun to wind you lot up!

Here's what I know. It could be wrong, I have been let down before on things like this.

As far as I know, Uncut are right on at least 1 of the headliners, guaranteed. I'm pretty sure they're right on the other one. As for the third I have no idea...I'll have to pass. It sounds realistic though!

I thought you said that the organisers had told you who the headliners were?

I thought you said that the organisers had told you who the headliners were?

If you read back through my posts you will find that I said I found out for definate who one of the headliners was, with an all but guarantee on the second. Third I dont know.

That seems to match up to what I said just now doesnt it?

That decision is up to you. I have no interest in trying to persuade you otherwise!

Correct, I have no interest in your silly guessing games either.

Anyone can come on a forum and say what you have said, you ain't the first nor last too probably :blink:

Correct, I have no interest in your silly guessing games either.

Anyone can come on a forum and say what you have said, you ain't the first nor last too probably :lol:

Athough I just said I usually have no interest in trying to prove myself, something inside me wants to! Thats worrying! :lol:

Would a photo of my Latitude performers pass last year be enough? :blink:

thumb-F90B_49C53300.jpg

Sorry its a little battered...it had a hard few days!

Edited by sungubala

what the fecking bollecks!?

where are sonic youth? what is nick cave? is he any good? what sort of music?

if that is the line up i am moderately dissapointed, but they have good people on the smaller stages.

i really hope there are some changes!

maybe sungubala is crystal castles? i bloody hope so!

what the fecking bollecks!?

where are sonic youth? what is nick cave? is he any good? what sort of music?

if that is the line up i am moderately dissapointed, but they have good people on the smaller stages.

i really hope there are some changes!

maybe sungubala is crystal castles? i bloody hope so!

Nick Cave is quite good. Sort of Leonard Cohen/ Tom Waits-ish, to cast him in a similar light to other people. I can imagine him being quite a good headliner. As for the other two though... :rolleyes:

Nick Cave is amazing, he's the lead guy in Grinderman who performed before Interpol last year, and was one of my highlights of last years festival.

I would love him to play, but as for the other two, a huge dissapointment in my opinion.

doesn't match to Sigur Rós and Interpol last year.

Not even The Good The Bad & The Queen and Arcade Fire the year before last.

:rolleyes:

I can certainly see Nick Cave as one of them, but really can't see grace jones as a headliner...nor pet shop boys really.

it just doesn't fit with past headliners...

snow patrol, anthony & the johnsons, mogwai

damien rice, good bad & the queen, arcade fire

franz ferdinand, sigur ros, interpol

nick cave & the bad seeds, grace jones, pet shop boys :rolleyes:

you also said....

its a great lineup so far regardless of who you are and what styles of music you are into. The organisers have got things spot on again as usual in regards to getting enoguh to cater for everyone.

how would you be able to say this from just knowing two bands? and also, these three headliners really don't suggest a great line up that the organisers have got "spot on" and "caters for everyone". im lucky in that i'm a big fan of nick cave so am at least happy about that, but 3 headliners all over 50 doesnt really cater for everyone does it. id imagine there's a lot of younger latitude goers who arent fans of any of the three.

...rereading sungubala's posts on here and the threads on the offical forum...I'm thinking it probably is true.

...when the admin on the official site is pretty much posting "if you don't like it, go elsewhere" then probably gives some weight to it. She's claimed she doesn't know the lineup, but is probably in a similar position to sungubala (if real), in that she can't confirm anything.

...as for uncut releasing it early, it's probably just that subscribers have received it early. Might be wrong but I'd guess the issue would've been released in the shops monday. :rolleyes:

...bit disappointed as not too fussed about jones or psb. Nick Cave will be ace tho...

Last year, I only watched a couple numbers from the obelisk headliners last year before the uncut headliners were going to start, as watched amadou & mariam, mars volta and tindersticks instead, so this announcement won't be fatal to me not going....just means I'll be waiting until more is announced before buying.

how would you be able to say this from just knowing two bands?

and also, these three headliners really don't suggest a great line up that the organisers have got "spot on" and "caters for everyone". im lucky in that i'm a big fan of nick cave so am at least happy about that, but 3 headliners all over 50 doesnt really cater for everyone does it. id imagine there's a lot of younger latitude goers who arent fans of any of the three.

he might know other bands on the undercard, just not all the headliners....

...or he has a huge sense of self importance and that his group playing makes it a great lineup. :rolleyes:

Grace jones is the one that sticks out for me; I like that it's diverse, and someone on the official forum is saying how she's a musical legend; I really don't think I'd make those kinda claims about her tho. well known yes, but I'd argue more for modelling/being controversial/attacking talk show hosts/bond villain etc....than for her music really.

I'm unsure many will know anything bar slave to the rhythm. Someone claimed on the official site; oh, but she sells out arena tours, then citing the roundhouse, but that's less than 5000 cap, (it's not a wembley arena/MEN size)....and would be mainly fans etc.

Just not sure she'd have the pull for a 35,000 capacity festival really, that's growing every year, especially with an £20ish increase in ticket price.

sungubala is a silly billy. who the fecking shite are you? also noSaj seems to be a crafty fox, saying he will be drumming main stage......

i really hope they are kinda wrong, i was soooooo lookin 4ward to Sonic Youth, i reckon they would be perfect here as they are big but not too big an are havin a comeback album........

please read the list of demands latitude people organiser chaps! :unsure::D:D:rolleyes:

how bout eels as well? or karin dreijer anderson's new band fever ray? or even the knife?!

People can't have it both ways. They are complaining (especially over on the Latitude forums) about supposed 'has beens' and citing the age of Nick Cave (NC & BS started in 1984) and Pet Shop Boys (started in 1981) as being too old.

Yet two of the acts I have heard 'requested' most often by these same people are Sonic Youth (started in 1981) and The Flaming Lips (started in 1983).

:rolleyes:

I can guarantee you that more people who actually go to the festival (rather than post on bulletin boards) will enjoy (and have even heard of the music) of Pet Shop Boys over Sonic Youth. And the accusations of 'cheese' are so massively wide of the mark it is almost funny. There is a reason that people such as Johnny Marr, David Bowie and New Order have all worked with Pet Shop Boys.

I am kind of gutted that Flaming Lips aren't playing though. There are perfect headliner material for Latitude. Maybe next year?

Look like I shouldn't have a problem getting my ticket on Monday anyway. In fact, I may be one of the only people at the festival by the sound of it :unsure:

Wow seemed to have caused a bit of a stir again eh!

Mercury

how would you be able to say this from just knowing two bands? and also, these three headliners really don't suggest a great line up that the organisers have got "spot on" and "caters for everyone". im lucky in that i'm a big fan of nick cave so am at least happy about that, but 3 headliners all over 50 doesnt really cater for everyone does it. id imagine there's a lot of younger latitude goers who arent fans of any of the three.

I chat to alot of bands locally and nationally and other acts have been booked. Like others say its not just about the headliners. That's not the important part of the festival for me anyway. Last year I missed Sigur Ros and Interpol, I had no desire to see them. I'd prefer to know 10 smaller acts than the 3 headliners any day of the week.

Like you say alot of fans wont be happy about the Latitude headliners, but thats life. It's a business...Latitude attracts alot of families with older parents, so they get in older bands those parents will know.

ralph250

...or he has a huge sense of self importance and that his group playing makes it a great lineup

I've probably given off the wrong impression on here when I said "you should have heard of us". Most people probably will have heard of our band, but not everyone obviously. Clearly we're not in the same league as U2, Coldplay etc. Yes we've played Pyramid at Glastonbury but we're not headlining Latitude...doesn't that say something? If we were a truly massive band we'd headline, but we're not. And I wish I had that sense of self importance but being a drummer it comes hard!

For those doubting me, at the end of the day I dont really mind too much. The picture of my pass from last year is up on page 12, take a look. I never claimed to be one of the biggest names in the drumming world...just said that I played in a band who've done lots of festivals and played with some artists. That's all.

cool, that's fair enough sungubala. you answered my question really by confirming you do know more of the bands who will play through your associates etc, so therefore you were within your right to comment on the line up in more depth. hope you can understand why i questioned it though, as those would have been strange things to say had you just known two of the headliners.

SONIC YOUTH and NICK CAVE are playing! fact :rolleyes:

well, this guy was right about nick cave, i hope that means he will be right about sonic youth as well, that would certainly cheer me up a whole lot. they could feasably play 2nd from top mainstage or headline the uncut arena i guess. if they clash with nick cave though i wont be happy!

One final point...expect the recent trend of old famous artists coming down to continue, e.g. Blondie last year. The organisers realise that its quite a "middle class" festival with a relatively high number of 40ish year old parents attending...who will remember these artists from their hey-day. Fleetwood Mac anyone?

well it seems as if you hit the nail on the head with that one considering the headliners!

its going to be so easy to identify people from this forum at latitude

we'll be the spaced out wierdos muttering about sungubala (sp?) under our breath and looking dazed and confused, occasionally bumping into each other, recognising the glint in the other's eye, enquiring as to whether they've found this mysterious drummer, then spinning off on our merry way...

meanwhile, mystery man will be sitting atop a hill cackling at his doings..and then...he'll buy us ALL a drink :rolleyes:

well...maybe not...but one can hope!

oh and aussie represent with nick cave! freaking love him (and im only 18!) and im glad its nick cave and the bad seeds not grinderman as for some reason i just havent been able to get into that stuff...

peace