Nightlife/Festival Experiences

Hi festival goers,

I hope this is the appropriate subforum for this - please delete if not! Hopefully it can spark an interesting discussion.

I need your help. I'm a music psychology researcher investigating people's experiences of nightlife/electronic music events and I'm currently carrying out a survey to better understand people's social and emotional experiences on the dancefloor and need lots of responses!

I'm wondering you could please share your experiences of nightlife (e.g. raves & festivals) by completing this short survey! https://t.ly/q5NfS

The goal of this project, in essence, is to understand how people connect with each other and feel emotions on the dancefloor, and how music and movement play a role. There is a significant lack of research in this area. A better understanding of people's experiences on the dancefloor will prove invaluable for both music researchers and the wider nightlife industry. The survey is largely multi choice but there is part of it where you can describe an event in detail - otherwise I'd be interested to hear about people's strong emotional experiences or instances of social connection during festivals and raves in this thread! 

Thanks all 😁

On 5/1/2024 at 1:22 PM, Rave Review said:

Hi festival goers,

I hope this is the appropriate subforum for this - please delete if not! Hopefully it can spark an interesting discussion.

I need your help. I'm a music psychology researcher investigating people's experiences of nightlife/electronic music events and I'm currently carrying out a survey to better understand people's social and emotional experiences on the dancefloor and need lots of responses!

I'm wondering you could please share your experiences of nightlife (e.g. raves & festivals) by completing this short survey! https://t.ly/q5NfS

The goal of this project, in essence, is to understand how people connect with each other and feel emotions on the dancefloor, and how music and movement play a role. There is a significant lack of research in this area. A better understanding of people's experiences on the dancefloor will prove invaluable for both music researchers and the wider nightlife industry. The survey is largely multi choice but there is part of it where you can describe an event in detail - otherwise I'd be interested to hear about people's strong emotional experiences or instances of social connection during festivals and raves in this thread! 

Thanks all 😁

I was willing to participate until I got to the first question ( unique participant ID). Maybe I'm paranoid, but that all looks a bit suss to me. Thought you should know.

On 5/2/2024 at 9:29 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I was willing to participate until I got to the first question ( unique participant ID). Maybe I'm paranoid, but that all looks a bit suss to me. Thought you should know.

Hmm okay. 

This is just included as a way of keeping track of participant answers without collecting any real identifying information. It's common in Psychology research. E.g. if someone were to contact me and wanted to retract their data form the survey, they can then just use this identifier without providing any personal information. It's actually to keep responses anonymised (there's no way I can determine anything from those superficial string of digits/letters).  

If it is putting people off then I may have to consider removing or adjusting it. Thanks for feedback! 

1 hour ago, Rave Review said:

If it is putting people off then I may have to consider removing or adjusting it. 

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it, so that it would assist.

It would probably also assist if you placed the request in the 'Chat' section. That section is supposed to be for Glastonbury chat. So, if you were to mention Glastonbury in the title the moderators 'may' let you get away with it. The 'Chat' section gets a lot more traffic than the 'Discussions' section, so you would get more responses (if they allow it to stay there). However, I would pitch it a few weeks 'after' Glastonbury has taken place, as not many will be up for answering this close to the festival. 

Good luck with your PHD.

19 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it, so that it would assist.

It would probably also assist if you placed the request in the 'Chat' section. That section is supposed to be for Glastonbury chat. So, if you were to mention Glastonbury in the title the moderators 'may' let you get away with it. The 'Chat' section gets a lot more traffic than the 'Discussions' section, so you would get more responses (if they allow it to stay there). However, I would pitch it a few weeks 'after' Glastonbury has taken place, as not many will be up for answering this close to the festival. 

Good luck with your PHD.

Thanks, it's good to know as I may be loosing potential responses. 

Based on this feedback I've now updated the live survey so it just assigns participants a random 4 digit ID number, which I wasn't previously aware could be done. Hopefully that encourages responses! 

10 hours ago, Rave Review said:

Thanks, it's good to know as I may be loosing potential responses. 

Based on this feedback I've now updated the live survey so it just assigns participants a random 4 digit ID number, which I wasn't previously aware could be done. Hopefully that encourages responses! 

Hello,

I hope you appreciate feedback. I went to do the survey and two things happened;

(1) I noticed that the first question still asks 'personal' questions relating to fact of the respondee. Once again this makes one edgy, and reluctant to respond. What's screaming out at me is that there simply must be another way of identifying people other than to ask them factual personal stuff. Worth a further look into I would say.

(2) Despite the above I thought 'f**k it, I'm going to proceed beyond the identifying point. Unfortunately I then discovered that as I hadn't attended an event, I wasn't eligible to go further. Im thoroughly OK with that as I know that I was never going to be the target market. I was just doing it to help really.

Just wondering, have you posted your question on other festival forums,websites, interest groups etc? I suspect that you have but if not you will obviously broaden your catchment area by doing so. It may even be a thing whereby you could join an acts fan club and ask there. or any forum dedicated to eg dance music etc. I don't actually know of other sites as this is only one of two forums that I go on, and neither is in any way related to the other.

All the best.

On 5/10/2024 at 8:36 AM, Ommadawn said:

I've tried re-visting the survey but you obviously don't want my info as I'm over 18.

Thanks for checking it out. You must be over 18 to complete the survey. If you select 'No' to the question 'Are you aged 18 or over?" then you will not be eligible to take part. So if you are 18+ that's fine!

On 5/10/2024 at 12:59 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello,

I hope you appreciate feedback. I went to do the survey and two things happened;

(1) I noticed that the first question still asks 'personal' questions relating to fact of the respondee. Once again this makes one edgy, and reluctant to respond. What's screaming out at me is that there simply must be another way of identifying people other than to ask them factual personal stuff. Worth a further look into I would say.

(2) Despite the above I thought 'f**k it, I'm going to proceed beyond the identifying point. Unfortunately I then discovered that as I hadn't attended an event, I wasn't eligible to go further. Im thoroughly OK with that as I know that I was never going to be the target market. I was just doing it to help really.

Just wondering, have you posted your question on other festival forums,websites, interest groups etc? I suspect that you have but if not you will obviously broaden your catchment area by doing so. It may even be a thing whereby you could join an acts fan club and ask there. or any forum dedicated to eg dance music etc. I don't actually know of other sites as this is only one of two forums that I go on, and neither is in any way related to the other.

All the best.

Thanks for having a go at the survey and taking the time to provide this feedback. Regardless of whether you couldn't complete the full survey, this is actually really useful so thanks! 

I'm not sure which question you are referring to on your first point. But in these kinds of studies there is some 'personal' information that is simply essential to collect in order to understand the demographics of respondents and screen out responses that are not relevant. E.g. attendees must be over the age of 18 to be eligible so we have to ask this. 

I've posted my survey on many Facebook groups and will definitely look around for other dance music related forums (although I suspect in this current social media generation there may not be many hugely active ones!). If anyone does have any suggestions, please do let me know! All for the greater good of understanding and supporting nightlife/festival culture 😁