Wednesday Afternoon / Thursday Morning Camping Recommendations

GmasterWomble

Hi all,

My second time going to Glasto this year and had a great time camping in Oxylers last time. (Proximity to rest of site & was a fairly straightforward way to get back from SE corner in the morning).

This year however I'm going with a fairly big group and most of us won't be arriving til Wednesday afternoon & the rest Thursday morning so no chance of Oxylers for the amount of tents. We're considering Lower Mead but was wondering how much space will be left, otherwise Dairy Ground with the new additional space isn't too far from Oxylers? 

Any help or recommendations welcome! Thanks

It depends whether your Weds crew is willing to take and pitch all the tents.  If so, Dairy might be doable, or at least a field near to it.  I don't expect Dairy would have any space left by end Weds.  FYI, Dairy and Paines are very popular fields.  

If you're coming with tents on Thurs you're likely looking at far edges of West fields if you all want to camp together.  Arrive late = not close.

You need to be realistic with your mates about where you camp.  If you force them, to try and "save space" for your tents on Weds, they may resent you as it will tie them to staying in camp and not exploring the site.  Just putting a sign up (or similar) in a popular field is likely to be torn down and ignored.

If you are a large group arriving on both days, you might want to consider having two camps.  The Thursday arrivals are unlikely to want to spend any time in the campsite, so it shouldn't matter much if they camp separately.

In conclusion, hopefully you have mates coming in a car who won't mind taking the extra tents and pitching them.  I've done this with friends in the past.  We normally thanked them with drinks and did their second run to the cars on the Thursday to assist them to lug more stuff to the campsite, normally booze.

55 minutes ago, Glast0baby said:

It depends whether your Weds crew is willing to take and pitch all the tents.  If so, Dairy might be doable, or at least a field near to it.  I don't expect Dairy would have any space left by end Weds.  FYI, Dairy and Paines are very popular fields.  

If you're coming with tents on Thurs you're likely looking at far edges of West fields if you all want to camp together.  Arrive late = not close.

You need to be realistic with your mates about where you camp.  If you force them, to try and "save space" for your tents on Weds, they may resent you as it will tie them to staying in camp and not exploring the site.  Just putting a sign up (or similar) in a popular field is likely to be torn down and ignored.

If you are a large group arriving on both days, you might want to consider having two camps.  The Thursday arrivals are unlikely to want to spend any time in the campsite, so it shouldn't matter much if they camp separately.

In conclusion, hopefully you have mates coming in a car who won't mind taking the extra tents and pitching them.  I've done this with friends in the past.  We normally thanked them with drinks and did their second run to the cars on the Thursday to assist them to lug more stuff to the campsite, normally booze.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, some great info there. Had no idea that Dairy would get that full up so quickly. 

I think the majority of the Wednesday crew will be bringing tents, but with that being said with the amount of us no doubt two camps will be the most sensible option.

I am still considering Lower Mead, anyone have any idea of how quickly that area will fill up?

22 minutes ago, GmasterWomble said:

Had no idea that Dairy would get that full up so quickly.

Glad to be of assistance.  Dairy and Paines are very popular with groups coming by car as it's near that gate.  It also tends to be a bit quieter without being too far out.  So a nice balanced camping spot, close to the railway line.  I've been pennard and then paines (when the Park and arcadiaa moved in) for 10+ years.