Changes since 2010

chimprich

I was last at Glastonbury in 2010 and there's been quite a few changes, several for the worse. Obviously loads of great stuff, but this is what I'm moaning about:

Overcrowding seems much worse - got stuck coming out of the Common onto the railway line on Friday night and then again on the railway line where it really started to get quite sketchy. It was extremely crowded, no one was being let out towards Avalon/the Glade, and every time the crowd moved there was a big risk of falling over due to the sticky mud. There were some police and stewards who seemed to have no idea what to do and sounded a bit panicky. Luckily, this being Glastonbury, the crowd was pretty chilled - but I felt there was a potential for something serious if anyone did get worried.

I suspect the overcrowding was partly because the other late night areas have been neglected. The dance village looked very uninspiring (even taking into account the mud) with no interesting areas or hardly anyone decent scheduled. It could be my memory but I also thought the Glade and Arcadia used to stay open later than 3am.

Mostly the general spirit was still the same with lots of people helping each other out and generally being the friendliest place on earth but I did see a lot of stuff being thrown this year with cans and things being chucked into the crowd. I don't remember that ever happening before. Also, more people pushing. Someone barged into the crowd and tried to push me out of the way so he could get to the front during the final song of one set and he almost ended up on the floor - not cool, Glastonbury :/

I was working for the first time this year and tried to blag a programme - but apparently they're 25 quid??? What a gouge! :(