Food to take

Guest jimbo85

I have to say I don't take ANY food!! Just tea bags for that first cuppa of the day. I save up and becuase i have to cook all year round and go to work and be sensible etc that 5 days at Pilton I throw caution to the wind ha ha..

There's SO many fabulous eateries and wonderful foods to choose from that I prefer to "eat out" every day/night. Such a treat. Not cheap though but thats fine by me.

I always take a bag of dried fruit like raisins, dry roasted peanuts, bag of apples, couple of tubs of tangy flavoured Pringles, cereal bars and biscuits. I eat out for my main meals so just need munchy stuff for when bedding down at night and for when I wake up.

And as has been mentioned, the Hare Krishna tent is great for a free (or donation paid) tasty veggie meal. Sometimes they sing too which is always nice to be entertained with while eating :)

I travel by coach and find lugging lots of cooking equipment too much by myself. However I always manage to eat on a budget. As a student I would take all my food but I do now budget around £8 a day to have one hot meal a day. There is so much lovely food to choose from and the portions are quite often generous.

I have a good quality soft sided Coleman cool bag and try and take as few perishables as possible and avoid heavy items like tins where I can. I can't live off noodles the whole time and try to get some variety into my meals. Things I would suggest are:

Bagels, crisp-breads, avocado/mangos (let them ripen over the festival), apples, tinned fish (you can get tuna mayo ect to go in a bagel or some salmon to go with your avocado!) Hummus, carrots, dried fruit & nuts, baby bells, chocolate biscuits, celery sticks, ready made bean salad, stuffed vine leaves, malt loaf, cereal (they sell milk on site - it is a dairy farm after all!)

You can also make something at home that you know will be nice cold and have that for the fist couple of days like cous cous and veg or a pasta dish.