Newspaper speculation

Guest the salmon

I recall this time last year some newspapers 'broke' the news of who the headliners of the main festivals would be, though some of the information may have been copied from this very website!!

As things stand we have Stone Roses as a pretty easy bet for one headline spot, any a few speculated for the other spot.

Has anyone seen any aticles in the papers around the headliners, I am sure it was early January last year?

Ive got Heaton Park and Beni tickets already, so quite a bit resting on the other headliner (and the rest of the 1st announcement) as to if I go. Also hoping the speculation that the Stone Roses booking may drag V back to a more indie/guitar festival rather than its recent gravitation away from that. Amen to that!

Stone Roses keep being branded about as a dead cert for V and I agree they will probably play but I just dont see why they have not announced they are playing it when they have announced a lot of other festivals they are playing throughout Europe, it makes no sense to hold this announcement back as it would be not that big a surprise

I agree, but from my, albeit short, V going years they have waited until the start of March to announce their headliners. They seem quite stuck in their ways to break from doing this. Plus bear in mind the likes of us who frequent these forums are 'informed' (well by speculation anyway) so usually when it gets to the official announcement we have a very good idea who is going to be in it.

It is interesting, if you were mad keen to see the Roses then you would have been in the mix for Heaton Park, or if not then would have maybe decided to go to T or go abroad. Perhaps V has missed a trick by waiting? And by all accounts it was probably the 1st festival they signed up to. V probably think they will sell out regardless? At this stage I would love the IoW line up but taking place at Staffordshire!!!

Stone Roses keep being branded about as a dead cert for V and I agree they will probably play but I just dont see why they have not announced they are playing it when they have announced a lot of other festivals they are playing throughout Europe, it makes no sense to hold this announcement back as it would be not that big a surprise

I agree, but from my, albeit short, V going years they have waited until the start of March to announce their headliners. They seem quite stuck in their ways to break from doing this. Plus bear in mind the likes of us who frequent these forums are 'informed' (well by speculation anyway) so usually when it gets to the official announcement we have a very good idea who is going to be in it.

It is interesting, if you were mad keen to see the Roses then you would have been in the mix for Heaton Park, or if not then would have maybe decided to go to T or go abroad. Perhaps V has missed a trick by waiting? And by all accounts it was probably the 1st festival they signed up to. V probably think they will sell out regardless? At this stage I would love the IoW line up but taking place at Staffordshire!!!

T didn't completely sell out last year, I'm pretty sure V did (or nearly did) so I guess they're happy holding back the announcement and are confident about ticket sales.

V and R&L like to keep their headliners secret and release them at the same time as tickets go on sale, I can't seee any logic behind it but they'll go to a lot of lengths to keep it that way.

Edited by mrtourette

T didn't completely sell out last year, I'm pretty sure V did (or nearly did) so I guess they're happy holding back the announcement and are confident about ticket sales.

V and R&L like to keep their headliners secret and release them at the same time as tickets go on sale, I can't seee any logic behind it but they'll go to a lot of lengths to keep it that way.

No it sold it it's initial batch in record time, they released other batches later and you could still get weekend tickets on the Friday of the festival. V also 'completely sold out' on the first night but you could still get tickets after that and Reading weekend tickets were available form official vendors long after they were supposed to be sold out.

It's a publicity trick a number of festivals use to claim that they sold out within minutes/hours of going on sale and then either they somehow find more tickets to put on sale or a load get returned or can't be paid for and go back on sale.