Philip Hoare

Guest dirtycash

Hi there, despite having the worst hangover on Saturday I headed over to the Woodland Library to hear Philip Hoare talk about Whales. I'm so glad I did as it was fascinating.

I just wondered if anyone on here is familiar with his work, and could let me know where would be a good starting point.

Hope I'm not being too thick, but are Leviathan or, The Whale the same books as The Whale in search of the King of the deep?

If not which one is worth reading first.

I thought he was quite an inspired choice to talk, Id love to see EOTR expand on the Literary element next year, especially with more nature writers.

Cheers.

Hi Dirty Cash.

I too made the trip to see Philip and am glad I did - it was exceptional, a real highlight of the weekend. I spoke to him afterwards for a bit and he's also a really nice guy - and talk about eloquent!

Leviathan, Or the Whale, is the book you want, it won the Whitbread non fiction award [think that's right] and if you like his talk you will love the book, utterly mesmerising.

I would also recommend reading Moby Dick if you haven't already.

Agree with expanding this bit of the festival.

Cheers

Edited by Maoster