Sziget 2010

Guest guitarbaz

Howdy folks,

Irish lad here thinking of heading to Sziget this year, hopefully bringing a big crew along too. We've hit Benicassim, Rock Werchter and The Garden Festival (recommended) in recent years.

Quick question about Sziget for some of the regulars, are you better off camping or getting an apartment/hotel?

After camping in Benicassim I'm loathe to do it again in such sweltering heat for so long. Maybe it's the inching closer and closer to being 30, I dunno.

Anyway, if getting an apartment/hotel is the way to go, could you recommend any websites/areas of Budapest to go for?

Cheers!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would recommend camping, music doesn't finish till late on the main stages and there are many tents / things going on in the early hours of the morning that you will not want to miss out on!!

Plenty of trees so quite easy to find a spot in the shade (unless you set up camp near the world music stage (few trees)).

Hostels / somewhere to stay, I HIGHLY recommend 2Night Privates where we stayed for a few days after the festival.

http://www.hostelbookers.com/property/revi...;strTab=reviews

Matt (the owner) is a young lad who'll keep you entertained and ensure you enjoy yourself, he'll help you get around the city and can even recommend places to go. There was a boat to the island last year (cost 500??) which left by the Margit bridge (minutes from the hostel) and took you right to the island. The comfiest best of any hostel I've ever stayed in, unlimited tea and coffee, free Internet, Washing is 500 (leave it with Matt, if he gets chance he'll wash it and leave it to hang next to your bed), no bunk beds.

The only downside, it is a small place so if you're going on your own, you may not meet any others (we only met a few people who were staying) as people were often out exploring (oh and the Red Bull air race was also on). The baths in the city are to die for as well! I'm digressing somewhat now...

Music starts on the site around 3pm, so if you are in the city and can get up early enough each morning, you can do some sight seeing and then head to the island. I was awake at 7 most mornings with the heat, but I used it as an opportunity to shower (hot water at that time of morning), then I'd just go back to my tent and rest.

Thanks guys for both your responses, they were very helpful. Unfortunately the hostel mentioned above is booked out but I got a list of hotels and hostels and emailed all of them so hopefully they'll get back to us.

Another quick question - how do ye all get to Sziget? Ryanair seem to have put the prices up already for it out of Dublin, is there another cheap airline that fly to Budapest?

We've already 5 more interested, the rest of the sheep should follow soon!

I did the exact same as above, however booked mine by using

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/cheap-flights/

Opodo was again cheapest. £88.10 return!

I've flown from Manchester --> Dublin return before for less than £3 booking 3 months in advance (although I did not check in a suitcase and had a Visa Electron card (that they sadly no longer accept)). If you can get a ticket to Manchester, you could then travel down to London (via piccadilly) on an advance train ticket for £12 each way.

Hi guys,

Sziget has popped up on my radar for this year and am seriously tempted.

Im finding it hard to get a good in depth review of it to see if it will suit me and my partner which im sure it will, but our 2 friends who are coming with us.

We will probably camp if we do decide to go.

What am interested in though is how it compares to Glasto etc, for activities after the main stages shut. What range of dance music is there, also does this stop with the main stages etc.

Also whats this business about a swimming pool aswell?

I probably have more questions and i when i think of them ill post them up, but if someone could as kind to answer the ones above that would be great!

i truly despise lyanair (no typo) and they have hiked up everything to the point where it's almost the same as using a proper airline instead of this mickey mouse outfit. unfortunately for us they're the only operator who fly to budapest from east mids and i can't be arsed driving all the way to mankychester. i've not done a full search of the options yet so i may avoid using lyanair, i live in eternal hope.

but less of the bigging up sziget already. lets keep it our little secret eh??

i truly despise lyanair (no typo) and they have hiked up everything to the point where it's almost the same as using a proper airline instead of this mickey mouse outfit. unfortunately for us they're the only operator who fly to budapest from east mids and i can't be arsed driving all the way to mankychester. i've not done a full search of the options yet so i may avoid using lyanair, i live in eternal hope.

but less of the bigging up sziget already. lets keep it our little secret eh??

well I have been avoiding this thread like the plague as looks like I will have to give Sziget a miss this year - have managed to get myself knocked up and due in May!! I am trying to decide if I would be a bad mummy by leaving it at 3 months so I can go on a bender for a week. I know it is probably unrealistic I will even be out of my dressing gown by then! I am even considering doing the Fri, Sat and Sun nights as a compromise!! I am DESPERATE to come!!

And oiy Guitarbaz to driving to Manchester for flying you are managing it this weekend!!!

fezzyeads there is TONNES to do once the main stages finish - the dance tents and MANY others are open till the very early hours if not all night!!

I WANT TO COME!!! BOOO HOOOO!!

well I have been avoiding this thread like the plague as looks like I will have to give Sziget a miss this year - have managed to get myself knocked up and due in May!! I am trying to decide if I would be a bad mummy by leaving it at 3 months so I can go on a bender for a week. I know it is probably unrealistic I will even be out of my dressing gown by then! I am even considering doing the Fri, Sat and Sun nights as a compromise!! I am DESPERATE to come!!

And oiy Guitarbaz to driving to Manchester for flying you are managing it this weekend!!!

fezzyeads there is TONNES to do once the main stages finish - the dance tents and MANY others are open till the very early hours if not all night!!

I WANT TO COME!!! BOOO HOOOO!!

Guys another question

Is it worth staying in a hotel for the duration of the stay etc.

Is it cheap.

Is it easy to get back to the hotel etc

Were would be the best place to stay?

How much cash do you think 2 people will need for the festival. We plan to arrive the 9th and leave the 16th do the full stretch.

We would be having eating out 3 times a day and buying our drinks as obviously you cant take anything in.

Also how easy is it to get hold of **ahem** chemicals, as im not too keen on taking them with me on the flight.

Obviously i am aware its as illegal there as it is here etc...

Edited by Cactusgirl

Food is not THAT cheap in the festival - from memory it is about £4-5 a meal. Pints are cheap at about £1.50 so depends how much you are planning to drink!!

Locals are not that keen on drugs and think the penalties can be quite stiff if caught - however think it would be relatively easy to get them around the dance tents.

Regarding where to stay - I personally need my home comforts - shower and comfy bed go a long way when out till the early hours every night. Especially with the heat from camping. The train from the festival runs all through the night then depending which area you stay in depends on how early/late the transport will run. We found that by the time we were back in the city (about 4-5am the morning trams were already running close to where we were staying. But as long as you are within a 10min walk of Margerits Bridge then it is easily doable as that is where the train drops off.

There's a HEV metro/train stop at walking distance from the festival entrance/exit. It runs to Bátthyányi Tér which is close to the city centre and two stops (and a transfer) from the main hub where all regular metro lines converge.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure you can fill in the details after some googling. :P

• 3 weeks later...