working for oxfam

Guest gemstarrr

thinking of going on my own and doing it next year.

how did you find it? were the shifts ok and what kind of things do you have to do?

also, do people generally go on their own and camp in the oxfam camp thing or go with friends?

i really like the idea of being able to get there for tuesday and having showers!

I've gone with Oxfam the past few years. It's worth doing if you're short on money, definitely better than missing out completely.

The work varies but is all pretty simple stuff. There's a lot of checking wristbands and tickets, and sometimes a 'stop x wristbands from going down y path' job. You do 3 x 8 hour shifts - generally one night shift, one early start, and one afternoon/evening.

The big down side is that you miss out on a lot of stuff - it messes with your sleep pattern a lot, so even if you're not missing many performances through work, you can end up too tired to see things sometimes. It can also be a bit draining doing 'work' on what's meant to be your holiday.

However, the campsite's really friendly, and a lot of people do come on their own. This year none of us were allowed to camp anywhere else apparently (not Oxfam's rule though - they let you do what you like). You also get a good spot not far from the main areas, decent free food, and the odd perk every now and again.

Worked the last two Glastonbury's with Oxfam on my own & would recommend it.

It's the luck of the draw with regards to your shifts - you can miss out on some things but if there's someone you really want to see, you have the opportunity to swap your shifts.

You receive 5 meal vouchers, have your own secure campsite complete with marquee, catering, toilets, showers and car parking is normally very close to the campsite (5-10 minute walk max).

Oxfam are generally responsible for the Gates (pedestrian & vehicle) at Glastonbury, but are involved in other areas.

The Oxfam team are a great bunch of people and you help raise money for a good cause.

You can normally apply via the Oxfam website in February on a first come, first served basis.

If you don't fancy stewarding, you can also apply to be a campaigner.

The shift patterns for campaigning is different from stewards (I believe).

Check out the 'Volunteer' section on Oxfam's website for more info.

Hey,

I've worked for Oxfam for four years now, and wouldn't do it any other way. As well as having a secure campsite, showers, and toilets, we also have two great food outlets and five meal vouchers.

I've worked on pedestrian gates, vehicle gates, within our own campsite and in coms (this year). It has always been great fun, and I now have the most amazing Glastonbury family. I was tempted to be a campaigner because their shifts are during the day, but I like the variety of stewarding.

The people are brilliant and the campsite quiet (because people are working and sleeping at all hours), the organisation team are amazing and if you are on shift over the festival you miss a little bit, but not loads (there are opportunities to swap shifts with other stewards).

Don't forget, Oxfam steward many festivals and you only have to pay one deposit for the whole season - its great.

I'd really recommend it and wouldn't go to Glasto any other way!

Hey,

I've worked for Oxfam for four years now, and wouldn't do it any other way. As well as having a secure campsite, showers, and toilets, we also have two great food outlets and five meal vouchers.

I've worked on pedestrian gates, vehicle gates, within our own campsite and in coms (this year). It has always been great fun, and I now have the most amazing Glastonbury family. I was tempted to be a campaigner because their shifts are during the day, but I like the variety of stewarding.

The people are brilliant and the campsite quiet (because people are working and sleeping at all hours), the organisation team are amazing and if you are on shift over the festival you miss a little bit, but not loads (there are opportunities to swap shifts with other stewards).

Don't forget, Oxfam steward many festivals and you only have to pay one deposit for the whole season - its great.

I'd really recommend it and wouldn't go to Glasto any other way!

There is space for campervans in the field also - and in fact quite a lot of people come in their vans. It's not strictly true that you can't camp in public areas - security were stopping people moving there on Tuesday and nicking the best patches (this was a new policy this year) but you could move to public camping on Wednesday as by then no one is checking.

A good place to check out more information and and ask other volunteers about their experiences is the dedicated Oxfam stewarding forums:

http://www.oxfam-stewards.org.uk/forum/index.php

I've done it for years and love it! Wouldn't do Glasto any other way!

H