Tents - How to get them to Beni with Ryanair?!

Guest indie-anna

It will be my 2nd time at Beni this year, and im trying to get organised as last year was a bit of a disaster getting from A to B. We are flying with Ryanair to Barcelona and need some advice on taking tents. Last year we had a dome tent and planned to take it as hand luggage, but were told after we had checked our bags that we couldnt do this as the poles had to be checked in. What is everyones experience of flying with tents? I am tempted to buy a pop up tent to save poles etc but would I be able to check this in? Or can you take them as hand luggage? Tried to ring Ryanair but they are useless! Any help would be much appreciated! ROLL ON BENI!!!

It will be my 2nd time at Beni this year, and im trying to get organised as last year was a bit of a disaster getting from A to B. We are flying with Ryanair to Barcelona and need some advice on taking tents. Last year we had a dome tent and planned to take it as hand luggage, but were told after we had checked our bags that we couldnt do this as the poles had to be checked in. What is everyones experience of flying with tents? I am tempted to buy a pop up tent to save poles etc but would I be able to check this in? Or can you take them as hand luggage? Tried to ring Ryanair but they are useless! Any help would be much appreciated! ROLL ON BENI!!!

I'm flyinf with RyanAir this year to Rock Am Ring (In 4 hours!!!!) just packed my bag, put the tent, sleeping bag, air matress and pump in my rucksack, which is going in the hold, along with a couple of pairs of jeans and hoodies, t-shirts are going in the hand luggage (which can be up to 10kg!) seems to work well, I've weighed my bag and it's just under 15kg, hopefully it's accurate :P

I'm flyinf with RyanAir this year to Rock Am Ring (In 4 hours!!!!) just packed my bag, put the tent, sleeping bag, air matress and pump in my rucksack, which is going in the hold, along with a couple of pairs of jeans and hoodies, t-shirts are going in the hand luggage (which can be up to 10kg!) seems to work well, I've weighed my bag and it's just under 15kg, hopefully it's accurate :P

Thanks people, think I am taking a pop up tent which is in a big disc rather than a bag so will prob have a few probs fitting it into my rucksack but I will prob attach it and hope im not over 15kgs!! With regards to the weather, I found it to be pleasant at night, I took a sleeping bag anyway coz im generally a cold person but it was more used for comfort to lie on than to lie in! Think a blanket would probably work as well. CANT WAIT!!!

Thanks people, think I am taking a pop up tent which is in a big disc rather than a bag so will prob have a few probs fitting it into my rucksack but I will prob attach it and hope im not over 15kgs!! With regards to the weather, I found it to be pleasant at night, I took a sleeping bag anyway coz im generally a cold person but it was more used for comfort to lie on than to lie in! Think a blanket would probably work as well. CANT WAIT!!!

good luck getting anything on a Lyanair flight.

best off to cram as much in your rucksac as possible. try anythign else and they'll charge you for it. the bunch of scamming cheating thieving ******s.

I've seen people have their tent pegs confiscated whilst trying to fly via ryan air, but not the poles.

I've been to festivals in Germany a few times and I usually strap my tent to the front of my military Bergan (rucksack) by just looping the straps on the top flap through my tent bag handles, round the tent ans in to the clips. Then just pull it tight.

I've found that whenever you travwl with a rucksack you have tot ake it to "oversized baggage"... they don;t seem to like the shape of them at the check in desk.

Yeah, thats a good plan. There are 4 of us and I am getting the others to take a 1 man tent each coz last year it was far too hot to sleep next to someone and ended up getting agitated at all the clothes and stuff spread out everywhere! You are best to take a big sheet to shade you, but last year we queued for a bit extra to get the spots under the trees in the shade. I have bought a tent that weighs 5kgs coz I need to take it to Glasto as well so thought I wouldbt be able to get away with a single layer one in case it rains (which it will) at glasto. So will have to make sure I pack lightly if it is going in my rucksack, or take a load of stuff as hand luggage, think you are allowed 10kgs of hand luggage.

Yeah, thats a good plan. There are 4 of us and I am getting the others to take a 1 man tent each coz last year it was far too hot to sleep next to someone and ended up getting agitated at all the clothes and stuff spread out everywhere! You are best to take a big sheet to shade you, but last year we queued for a bit extra to get the spots under the trees in the shade. I have bought a tent that weighs 5kgs coz I need to take it to Glasto as well so thought I wouldbt be able to get away with a single layer one in case it rains (which it will) at glasto. So will have to make sure I pack lightly if it is going in my rucksack, or take a load of stuff as hand luggage, think you are allowed 10kgs of hand luggage.

Was thinking about not bringing a tent at all and maybe bagging myself a cheap one in Barcelona before I head down. Then just fire it into some charity spot on the way home.

Can't be bothered with the hassle of having to take one all the way from Ireland!

Anyone know of any handy places in Barcelona that would sort me out?

Was thinking about not bringing a tent at all and maybe bagging myself a cheap one in Barcelona before I head down. Then just fire it into some charity spot on the way home.

Can't be bothered with the hassle of having to take one all the way from Ireland!

Anyone know of any handy places in Barcelona that would sort me out?

Quick Google search brought this up...

http://www.qype.co.uk/es511-barcelona/cate...ps-in-barcelona

Also if you are in a big group then place all your tents in a circle and put a huge sheet over them. Tie off the sheet on the top of each tent to hold in place.

Bingo, bongo a nice shady area that shouldn't be too warm.