The Libertines

Guest tylerdurden

If the Libertines came back they would headliner, no question. Should they? Well they have two albums, a greatest hits and more unreleased songs that they play live than just about any band I could think and they have a big history and are probably the most iconic British band of this decade. In other words I could make a much better case for them headlining than Franz Ferdinand, Razorlight and perhaps even arctic monkeys.

Edited by thomasowen

I totally agree with the 'Most iconic British band of the decade' comment. They pretty much spearheaded the British 'guitar music' that Arctic Monkeys, Razorlight, et al have all followed. Except, you know, The Libertines were actually good.

They're certainly not as big as say... The Killers or Metallica or whatever in terms of world wide status, but they would certainly turn in as big a crowd at a British festival, if not just for all of the indie kids and the NME generation.

And I cant see The Specials as the fourth headliner... it's likely going to be a younger act to appeal to the... NME generation, really, what with Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen being oldies (but goodies!) and Blur being somewhere inbetween, as a lot of the younger people there will remember say... the Greatest Hits but not the band in their hayday.

I reckon the fourth headliner will be either Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead, Oasis, or The Libertines.

rage did 2nd headline in 95? tho. and the only reason that they were 4th in 2000 was cos they got added to the bill very late cos they really wanted to play the festival when there was already headliners booked and billed.

libertines could easily headline now. they have got a lot bigger since they split up. it could be a bit of a shambles.

we seem to be forgetting one thing here as well. John Hassall said he would never do the libertines again. i've even asked him about it myself at a yeti gig. fair enough. yeti were by far the best band to come out of the libertines.

I'm still confident for this years headliners. V fest has Oasis and The Killers tbc, and Ts headliners are Kings Of Leon, Snow Patrol and Blur. Now sometimes T and Reading share a headliner but this year I dont think so. Blur are playing Glasto as well as a Hyde Park gig so no for them (thank god). But Kings Of Leon I think might be a maybe. Arctics I think are certain now with a European tour coming up in August but no V. Green Day have a new album out and tour this year, yet have shown no commitments to any big UK fest so far. But also, that whole AC/DC thing confirming it on their site before taking it down...I'm still thinking that was a pure accident when they got booked. So methinks the headliners will be either

FRIDAY

Arctics or Kings

SAT

Green Day or Arctics

SUN

ACDC or Green Day

I still personally believe it will be the 1st set of names 1st. Maybe they tried to get the Libertines earlier on when they thought V might have Arctics, I dont know, but it seems strange to me to try and get another indie big name after Arctics and Kings looked like possibilities. I predict a cat out of the bag band to be announced to, especially that 2nd down sunday slot, i have an inkling its gonna be special