Booze on coaches

Guest kbearne

It's all down to the coach driver as it's his license at the end of the day, if he gets pulled by VOSA and has his vehicle weighed and it turns out to be over weight then then it's possible loss of license, goodbye job and hello huge fine. If he's got a mortgage to pay and kids to feed then why should he take the chance? Just Don't take the piss and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Edited by captain reido

This'll be my first time at Glasto (and my first forum post) but I've worked at enough festivals to tell you, in dry weather they can be a nightmare too. If they have small wheels, the clearance between the axel and the ground means it rubs on grass/dirt and quite quickly wears away the material at the bottom leaving a lovely trail of your alcohol as you walk (saw this too many times) so I recommend you lift it off the ground/make sure the wheels are big enough.

Pimp your suitcase?

Also regarding the photo above, clingfilm is the key. It's cheap, easy to apply and stops any crates slipping laterally if you should tip the trolley to one slide.

Children's snow sleds are great for dragging lots of booze (again clingfilming around it to keep it together) but REINFOCE the string attach to the plastic front or else the string just snaps from the brittle plastic leaving you (or some poor gate steward like me) to push the sled.

• 3 weeks later...

You could be lucky and get a relaxed driver who will do anything to get everyones luggage on to the coach, or you could be really unlucky and get someone who is strict and abides by the rules. I think the rule here is to just be considerate, given that everyone wants to take a trolley full of booze but we all know that everyone can't take a trolley full of booze. There's no way it'd all fit in the hold! The hold isn't actually that big, and our See coach last year struggled to get it all in, with only one group of lads bringing a trolley full of booze (everyone else stuck to the limit roughly). So I think you need to be prepared for the worst if you want to risk it, there is only so much they can get on and the first thing they're likely to turn down is a load of crates instead of someones rucksack or tent.

Also if you read carefully on the National Express website, they can and will charge you for extra luggage if their hold is already getting full. It's up to the driver, but I looked in to it because I'll be getting a coach back to London and then another NE coach from London to home after Glastonbury, so I'm expecting to pay the extra cost for the luggage. They can even go as far as turning you away if you have too much.