RUCKSACKS

Guest i_m_azza

Ok, well ive had a look around sport shops,argos,millets(too pricey!) for a big enough rucksack to carry all my food/drink clothes sleeping bag etc..

I was thinking of getting around a 70-80 litre rucksack....will this be big enough ?

what size rucksacks do you ppl usually take with to glasto or any festival ?

i dont mind carry my tent in my hand..just would prefer the majority strapped on me back.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take 35litre (plus 7 or however much the pockets are) this usually does me for most of my kit bar tent

(I invested in small sleeping bag last year!) - although food/drink is sometimes issue and usually requires another trip

But I am 5'4 female and really couldn't carry much more than that.

My bf is thinking of getting a 55litre one

i take a 60 litre one, everything fits with ease.

when you're packing look at everything and think, "do i absolutely need this" I managed to get rid of loads of extra stuff last year by basically taking nothing but a few toiletries, clothes, a torch, shoes (and wellies) and money.

yeh true...im not taking crates with me (just to save the hassle of carrying them and the space in my rucksack) sticking to the spirits.

FOOD/DRINK/CLOTHES/TOILETRIES/SLEEPING BAG

think i'll get a bungee chord and strap my tent to it too haha...

it's just in the past ive used holdalls and theyre a pain in the arse lugging around in ur hand!

I use a NATO 'All Arms Bergen'.

It's a 55 litre frame sack in waterproof 10oz Cordura with two zip on 10 litre side pouches for a total of 75l.

My mate picked up one in 2006 for 15 quid for the Bergen, plus a tenner for the side pouches and the spare yoke that converts them into a 20 litre daysack.

Both of ours stayed dry last year even though sitting overnight in the river in the bottom of our tent.

Shame that most of them come in DPM camo and the side pouch sets come in OG (Olive Green) so they don't match... But there again I've never been that of a fashion victim...

A single side pouch will take the place of your sleeping bag's stuff sack and there are top and bottom loops for a tent or rollmat.

If you're a real mil-geek then you can buy a medical side pouch which, when full, is less a first aid kit and more a mini field hospital. The back has a sort of pseudo MOLLE rack for other strap/clip-on bits.

Fredd

Edited by Fredd

I think mine is 60 or 65 litre, and that's adequate for me.

I can clip my tent on and strap my ground mat under the main straps, and don't have to carry anything at all in my hands, which is usually a pain. In addition to the basics*, I packed a litre of voddy, half a dozen bottles of lucozade sport or something similar, and a little bit of foody stuff (including 2 pints of UHT milk + small boxes of breakfast cereals, and a coupathree pot noodles, etc...).

I think that 80 litre would be overkill, unless you are taking a lot of food/beer (or don't pack as light as me - see below). If you are taking a whole crate of beer, or more, then it's worth considering buying one of those 'granny bags' that go on a metal frame with wheels. You can usually just throw the bag away, and stack the beer on. They *are* a bit of a pain in the arse to drag around over uneven or muddy ground (especially if they keep catching your heels), but it's probably just about preferable to carrying a crate on your shoulder, or making 2 trips (where I parked last year, it was a 3.2 mile - no shit or exaggeration, i measured it on google earth - round trip to the car).

* I pack fairly light, so basically one t-shirt a day, clean socks every day, one spare pair of trousers (buy some ex-army trousers and wear the same pair the whole weekend if your not obsessive about clean ones), warm sweater/hoodie (doubles as a pillow), toiletries, fags, torch, sleeping bag, er... that's all i can think of now.

I plan to bring plenty of waterproof gear this year to Gaurantee great weather!!

have just been looking at waterproof rucksacks and also water proof socks anybody know if either of these are good?

Would the socks be minging and unconfortable well more than my standard ones anyway?

Edited by Mudcat

Best you get to a Car Boot Sale this weekend and get kitted-up for Glasto. Tent, rucksack, sleeping bag, carry mat, worn t-shirts, soldier helmets, blow-up killer whales (for body surfing), army boots, torch, baby-whipes, all manner of fancy dress outfits and most of all - a robust trolly to pile all your stuff on including two grates of beer, four gallon of scrumpy (advise, Thatchers) and wood for the fire. But I'm not telling you which Boot I'm going to. See you in Pennard Hill.

i would of opted for one of those trollies...but im gettin the coach there so i wudnt wanna get there and the bus driver say theres no room for one...i think im ok just gettin a 60litre..i like to pack a lot of alcohol and then minimize my clothes and what not.

I wear pretty basic off the shelf Catapillar boots, which generally keep my feet quite dry, even in mud and a couple of inches of water. A couple of my mates swear by gaiters, and I'm definitely gonna invest in a pair this year, for added protection / lower trouser dryness. Only real issue is my feet are a bit sweaty (ewww!), and if anything they get wet from this, rather than from the outside, but I wouldn't consider sandals to be an option.
Edited by Mudcat