From the northwest M32, A37 advice

Guest mushype

Hello

In previous years I have always come off the M5 at junction 23 then travelled along the A39 into the site. Last time I did this (4years ago) we left home at about 4am and got off the motorway 4 hours later. We then crawled in for approx 6 hours.

This year we are staying in a hotel on the Tuesday night (near wookey hole) and are therefore travelling in from not very far away.

I am hoping we can get out the hotel at about 9am and be in an hour or so later.

However, some of our group are travelling down in the early hours and we are wondering if it is possible they could meet up with us? To do this they would need to come down the M32 and A37 .

The first question, what is this route like at around 7am? Or would they be better continuing down the M5 (as we did in previous years).

I dont want to tell them to come and meet us in Wookey Hole only for them to meet worse travel had they gone a different route.

Does anybody have a prefered route when coming via the north west?

Assuming the A37 is better (or no worse) than the A39, should they come to us in Wookey, or would we better meeting them somewhere on the A37?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when my missus mentioned 'Wookey Hole' my first thought was Chewbacca from Star Wars. Is this just me?

regards

MP

Neil what's it like driving through Bristol on a Tuesday lunchtime? We can't decide weather it's better to travel through Bristol or drive further down the m5 and get the A 37 from the south of the festival? ;-)>

Bristol is always pretty slow even at its best, tho it would normally be OK-ish at around that time.

However, I'm guessing they'll be noticable extra traffic going thru of others also heading to Pilton like you (campervans, staff & traders, and early-arriving general campers), and with some very-slow-up-the-hills campervans likely to be part of that I'm thinking there's going to be slow-moving traffic at some points if not constantly.

Edited by eFestivals

If you're wanting to meet people and drive in together then probably best to meet up in either Wookey Hole or Wells. From there you can either take the A39 down to the A361 for the west car park or A371 via Shepton Mallet for the east car park.

We travel down from the north west and get on the M32 then the A37 until just after Farrington Gurney. You then take the A39 (although in reality you just keep going, you have to turn left to stay on the A37). Then stay on the A39 through Wells and Glastonbury town till you hit the roundabout with the A361. Then it's a relatively short distance to west car park.

The run via Wells is relatively quiet but a lot can change from year to year. And to be honest, we've driven down Tuesday night the last 2 years so can't tell you what it's like any more on a Wednesday.