Emarosa?

Guest Jamesssss

Yeah I just listened to them on YouTube. I checked out a song called 'The Past Should Stay Dead' and for some reason, the only image I had in my head was the opening credits to Baywatch.

So I persisted and checked out a song called 'Sailing In The Dark Isn't Smart Kid' and realised that they just sound like every other crap post-hardcore band in the world.

What a shit addition they would be - Leeds is already fairly mediocre as it is.

Just because you don't like them and don't think they'd be a good addition to the line up, other people might..

when Kids in glass houses got added i was over the moon, i've loved them since their new album but the show at the cockpit in leeds sold out.. but some people was just like 'meh' so yeah.. :)

Ooooo what did I listen to...

I listened to:

Small Skeletal

Type One

Dark Island City

Nixon

Orbiter

Young

I Am Everything I Am Not

Bearing in mind that I gave up after 15 seconds on each of them. If a song doesn't grab me in the first 15 seconds then I don't listen to the rest of it; especially if it's been recommended to me by somebody else.

Edited by jammy2211

Well with films it's different. I'm not quite as picky about films as I am with music but with films I generally tend to apply observations to who's in it, who's directing it, etc; moreso than what it's about. If I want to know what a film's about, I tend to visit review websites like Rotten Tomatoes.

With 'that type' of music, it's really fairly easy to see where they're going with it because it's so simple. All Punk music is. What sets apart a band like that from somebody like, say, Fugazi is their creativity, originality and message, and if they have none of those things, then nothing seperates them from the other bands floating around or the other bands that have existed in the past.

The whole point of a band like Crime In Stereo is to basically just ressurect hardcore punk - now, my question is; why do they need to do that when so many great bands (Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, Descendents, Fear, The Germs, Bad Brains, Black Flag...) and so many great albums from years and years ago are still available for anybody out there to listen to?

All they're doing is modernising a sound that doesn't need to be modernised because it's timeless. Because of a band like this, you could listen to Black Flag and 'Damaged' would still sound as fresh as a daisy, so surely a better option would be to just listen to the originals.

Ok, I'll tell you what I'll do: I'll listen to the same songs I listened to last night, expensive sennheiser headphones on, all the way through so that I can pick up the sheer 'depth' of their sound.

Small Skeletal - no change in opinion

Type One - no change in opinion

Dark Island City - no change in opinion

Nixon - no change in opinion

Orbiter - no change in opinion

Young - no change in opinion

I Am Everything I Am Not - no change in opinion

I've heard it all before. People have been playing the same music for the last 50 billion years, making the exact same drum sounds, guitar sounds, singing exactly the same, and I'm bored off my arse with it, frankly. No evolution, no development - it's as if Gang of Four, Joy Division, Pere Ubu, Public Image Ltd or Wire never existed.

What a shit band Crime in Stereo are.

This is all subjective, of course. I'm sure you love them but I cannot stand them. What's important is that we don't confuse our opinions with facts.

One of the only modern post-hardcore bands that are worth listening to (in my opinion) are alexisonfire. There is no better combination of singing and screaming than in Dallas and George, and with each album they push their music forward. Crime in stereo sounded pretty generic and nothing stood out at all to tell me to listen to them more... as for emarosa, I had to turn it off, at least this I could probably have as background music.

Thrice - Vheissu (pushing the boundaries of post-hardcore and integrating more experimentation)

Underoath - They're only chasing safety (A classic modern post-hardcore album)

Fightstar - One day son, This will all be yours (As much as I always used to say euh, fightstar, after I saw them supporting Coheed, I began to appreciate them)

are all worth listening to

(i've referred to the genre as modern post-hardcore to specify between these bands and awesome bands like fugazi, hot water music, at the drive-in who came a bit earlier)

Edited by rbranigan

See, to me, the definitive Hardcore band (aside from perhaps Fugazi) is a band called The Wipers, fronted by uber-Punk legend Greg Sage.

When you set a benchmark for everything that is possible with Hardcore Punk, it has to be measured against them for me and a band like Emarosa or even the bland Crime In Stereo simply do not compete.

Well, the thing with a band like that is - the reason they annoy me is because people like Jamessss invariably and generally tend to like bands who SOUND like them, and what eventually happens is you amass an entire iTunes collection of 70 billion bands that all sound the same - when, in reality, if you had a modicum of sense towards decent music, you'd just have one - Fugazi - and stop there, and then branch out and find bands who aren't as one-dimensional.

It's elitism, of course, but 10 years time, you'll scroll through your music collection and wonder what the f**k you were thinking, just as I do now when I look at owning an album by embarrassing bands like Earthtone 9 or One Minute Silence. Forgotten bands who represent a period in your young life whenever you were ignorant, didn't know your identity and used listening to crap music as an excuse to cover up your own stupidity.

...maybe. ;)

Who cares if people might look back and laugh at their past music tastes. If people like them now, they'd like to see them at the festival. I've never heard of the band mentioned in the thread title though I must say.

However... If Crime In Stereo are worse than this band, I will DEFINATELY be hoping that they're booked.