Is it Reading festivals 40th Anniversary in 2011

Guest cheeseisamazing

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i join in on your little debate?

Tbh i think the problem with metal is that it behaves far differntly than any music genra. its almost like a cult. think about it, what other genera has 4 Big uk festivals, download (though its less metal now adays), Bloodstock, hellfire & sonisphere?

The fact that its survived still all the way back from black sabbeth amazes me. i can't think of any other destinct modern Genera (save boy bands ¬¬, but then where the beatles really a boy band...) thats survived that long.

I completly with Shock,so much metal sounds the same. Most of slayers songs sound exsactly the same. So much of it is terrible and sounds so similar, like Bring me the horizon and practically every bad of that style, (i belive its called grindcore.) and we go back to the 80s and most hair metal sounded the same aswell. Yet there is still mass market for it.

Don't get me wrong i love a bit of metal, Metallica, Maiden,Machine head, Rammsitne, bullet, avenged.... (long list, but arguable these bands all sound different)

but i have to agree that a lot of it sounds the same.

Yet people still love it :s.

Its bizzar.

Tbh you can say that about any genre of music. Someone could say all dance music is the same or all Rap music is the same etc... And I don't think Metal fans are that close-minded, look at Pendulum/Bjorn Again/Rock Sugar at Download and Sonisphere.

I've read some crap in topics at times, but this is full of absolute nonsense.

The simple fact is system of a down will play in the future of Reading and Leeds. They will more likely headline it in the next couple of years when they come back from their hiatus, although they could play second on the bill.

Also they will go down an absolute treat with the crowd. They will pull a huge crowd and yes if they play they will attract their own fans to the festival.

The point that was made about Nirvana are the type of reading band that don't quite fit heavy but are in between is absolutely absurd, system of a down can't actually be categorised as metal, I think in terms of fitting in they are in the same category of Nirvana at least from the bands that were listed.

Metal fans are the most fickle and closed-minded fans you can get. They're dedicated to their genre and most remain fans for life but the speed in which they stop being fans of bands because they start making different music astonishes me.

That's what I mean, though - as a metal band, you simply cannot go beyond what your genre allows because it has a set formula you need to follow, and if you don't, you either lose your fans or, as a new band, you gain none for being "fake". So it becomes formulaic. No development, no evolution and the same songs are being played 20 years later just with a different title.

Tbh you can say that about any genre of music. Someone could say all dance music is the same or all Rap music is the same etc... And I don't think Metal fans are that close-minded, look at Pendulum/Bjorn Again/Rock Sugar at Download and Sonisphere.

The point that was made about Nirvana are the type of reading band that don't quite fit heavy but are in between is absolutely absurd, system of a down can't actually be categorised as metal, I think in terms of fitting in they are in the same category of Nirvana at least from the bands that were listed.

What you're essentially arguing is that System of a Down are an alternative rock band - they're not. They're a Metal band. End of. You have to be a fan of Metal to appreciate System of a Down.

Nirvana were one of the bands that fans of Metal, fans of Punk and fans of College Rock could listen to and enjoy at the same time. They offered variety. They bordered the line between Beatles pop song-craft, Big Black-style blistering violent noise and Black Sabbath-style doom and gloom - you know this already because you've been hearing their music retrospectively since birth, no doubt. The fact is, they put the Reading Festival on the f**king map and turned it into the pre-eminent Alternative Rock festival that I've always known it for.

If you shoved a band like System of a Down on with the likes of some of bands that have been mentioned on this board, (the Sonic Youths, the Jesus and Mary Chains, the Dinosaur Jrs, the Pavements, etc) - System of a Down just seem out of place. I'm sure they would perform a great show and the audience would love them but it's all irrelevant - you could get anybody moshing to Lady Gaga if you fed them enough beer and Pink Champagne.

There's nothing 'dismissive' about it - I won't deny their appeal to an audience of open-minded listeners but they're a Metal band through and through designed to appeal to an audience of Metal fans. What they do is take Helmet, Jane's Addiction and Tool and filter it all through a healthy dose of Metallica - and frankly, I'd much rather listen to their influences; the first 3 being welcome at Reading/Leeds any day of the week.

How would System be out of place? Metallica and Iron Maiden have both headlined recently, of course they'd be more likely to headline Download but you can say that about any metal band (even though I wouldn't consider SOAD to be metal).

And I'm a metal fan but I like loads of other genres as well. As good as Download is looking this year I chose Reading for exactly this reason and an very happy I made that choice. In fact I would say the metalheads I know are probably the most open-minded listeners, far from some of my other friends who won't listen to anything that's not generic commercial dance or bland Radio 1 pop punk...

You have to be a fan of Metal to appreciate them completely but they would appeal to an open-minded listener with a broad taste in music. There's a difference - just because something appeals to you doesn't make you a fan. The music of Florence and the Machine appeals to me but I'm not a fan so I can't appreciate it.

The fact is, at a time whenever Metal was dominated with bands rapping and using drop-A tuned guitars, System of a Down came along and made music that was familiar but, shall we say, a little "different".

I've been a fan of Alternative Rock for years and I have to say that whenever me and my indie friends heard their first album (in about '99 or '00), none of us were impressed but in the hands of friends who were fans of bands like Tool, Deftones, Korn, Coal Chamber, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head, Incubus - ie. the hands of Metal fans/the Ozzfest crowd - they made a name for themselves. They're a distinctly Metal band.

System of a Down have always been a band you would find on the front cover of Kerrang or Terrorizer more than you would the NME or Q, whereas a band like Nirvana (your atypical Reading band) would be on all four covers. The same with headlining festivals. System of a Down would be the type of band to headline Download rather than Reading whereas Nirvana (and bands like them) would do both.