Sziget 2010

Guest guitarbaz

Yeah I don't think I fancy a train journey that long and smelly!

Cheap flights to Prague and train to Budapest look like the best option then, I normally book well in advance but the Lyanair flights weren't that cheap 3 months ago either.

Hey ho, as long as I get there!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any more sniffs on what "day zero" might bring this year?

i've only bothered with non camping tickets this year but i'll be annoyed if the rumoured ska-day features the specials!! i'll just have to go buy a day ticket at the gate if that turns out to be the case!

nowt on the official website as yet, not that i can see anyways.

Hi,

My girlfriend and I were planning on a city break in the summer and thought that Budapest would be a great place to go especially if we timed it during Sziget and had a couple of days at the festival during our stay.

However, the jump in flight prices to go during the festival has put us off a little bit. But if we flew out on monday 9th and flew back on the 12th, the price is really cheap. Obviously this would mean we'd only get to spend the wednesday at the festival.

So my question. Based on previous years, how good is the Wednesday compared to the other main days? Is there much going on or is it just a few local bands at one or two stages with very little else going on? Basically, would the wednesday still be a fantastic day to end a city break or is it nothing more than minor entertainment for when the real thing kicks off?

Thanks

Greg

Hi,

My girlfriend and I were planning on a city break in the summer and thought that Budapest would be a great place to go especially if we timed it during Sziget and had a couple of days at the festival during our stay.

However, the jump in flight prices to go during the festival has put us off a little bit. But if we flew out on monday 9th and flew back on the 12th, the price is really cheap. Obviously this would mean we'd only get to spend the wednesday at the festival.

So my question. Based on previous years, how good is the Wednesday compared to the other main days? Is there much going on or is it just a few local bands at one or two stages with very little else going on? Basically, would the wednesday still be a fantastic day to end a city break or is it nothing more than minor entertainment for when the real thing kicks off?

Thanks

Greg

Thanks for the info, didn't realise that the Wednesday was still one of the main days, thought it was just a little warm up.

ooh, dont know what to do now. Looking at the lineup so far, it seems to be lacking quite a few bigger names compared to last years (from memory). Do they normally add more and more as it draws nearer or is there a date when the complete line up is announced? Do you think there will still be plenty more big acts to be announced?

As the lineup stands so far, I think we'll go earlier and just do the wednesday before flying back...unless there is much more to be announced!!

Well the Monday and Tuesday are the warm up days now.

There will definitley be more line up announcments. If you only planning a few days in Budapest then it'll be a good idea to spend a day at the festival, I like spending the whole week at the festival but it can be a bit much, 7 days camping at a festival takes it's toll!

Also I would recommend a vist to the Szechenyi Baths when in Budapest.

Enjoy Budapest.

Managed to book flights for £170 return for myself and a couple of mates. Expensive but it's not with a budget airline, and I reckon it will be worth it. I wish i'd booked them about six weeks ago when I first looked into it as the flights were only about £100 back then :P

Booked from 9th to the 12th so we will just get a day ticket for the Wednesday. Thanks for the help.

Looking forward to it. Always nice to go somewhere different and will be great to finally see what Sziget is like, albeit for a day!

Have just bought our day tickets for the wednesday. Quick question: As I booked both of them, both pdf vouchers have my name on. Is this normal? We don't want to get there to find that one should have my girlfriends name on as one is for her.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it would be a problem but weren't 100%.

Roll on Budapest. Just booked hotel which for the money seems really good. For anyone interested it is the Star Inn Hotel Budapest, details below

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2...m-Budapest.html

me & my mate went to Budapest for new years to check the city out before going to our 1st Sziget, the beer is dangerously cheap :P on average we were paying £1.20 a pint in most bars we found (for the local beer) if you want to be fancy & drink guinness it was coming in at about £3 a pint.

The drinks in the night clubs were about £1.50 a pint. They dont rip you off here at all over drink / food prices from what we found anyway !

Kees van Hondt is carnavalesque. It's not really about anything, but it's just one big party. The twigs are a recent Lowlands phenomenon which just happened (one guy did it, then two, then everyone). At Kees however people always drag things into the tent to party with: twigs, matrasses, occasionally even the picknick benches. I suppose at Sziget he'll play fewer or no Dutch songs, but I'm sure it will be a big party again.