Shall I, or shall I not?

Guest FforFreddie

So, as a keen photographer I managed to avoid temptation last year in bringing my Nikon D200 with its various lenses... this year, I'm more keen than ever.

I'm pretty worried that under the influence I may a) lose it, or :D give it away... but I know the quality of the shots would kick the ass out of my little compact. I'll be camping fairly close to a lock-up, so I know I could put it away there if needed but otherwise I'm unsure if it's sensible.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi FforFreddie, I am contemplating exactly the same question. Last year I took my Sony Cybershot and I was really disappointed with the quality of the pictures it took so this year I really want to bring my Pentax K200D but like you I am in two minds, although at the mo I'm probably in the 'take it' camp.

My plan is to have a couple of photo taking days then to leave it in a lock-up for the 'messy' times!

I say definitely take it! You will get some fantastic images and you are lucky enough to have a brilliant camera so don't keep it stored at home. You have the lock-ups to keep it safe and I'm sure there's more chance of you damaging/losing your compact camera than a big one.

I took my Nikon D60 and compact camera out with me one weekend - got completely wasted, the Nikon came back in one piece with some fab images (loads not taken by me as everyone loved it) I left the compact at a friends! Ooops!!

As long as you are able to take it (would definitely check 1st) then I say do!

There's a really goood discussion about taking a dslr to Glastonbury over on Chat:

/index.php?showtopic=121733">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...howtopic=121733

My husband is taking his dslr (a Pentax I think! :D ). Should be safe as long as you keep it with you or in the lock-ups and if something did happen to it. that's what you've got insurance for!

Checked with the Glastonbury people if there were any restrictions on cameras and whether taking a dslr was ok and they said 'That should be ok, but depends more on the lens and certainly not good to bring a tripod'.

So, as a keen photographer I managed to avoid temptation last year in bringing my Nikon D200 with its various lenses... this year, I'm more keen than ever.

I'm pretty worried that under the influence I may a) lose it, or :unsure: give it away... but I know the quality of the shots would kick the ass out of my little compact. I'll be camping fairly close to a lock-up, so I know I could put it away there if needed but otherwise I'm unsure if it's sensible.

Any thoughts on this?

[/quote

took my d200 last year and taking this year too really enjoy having it, I stick it in a rucksack when not using it and it beats a compact any day. Haven't tried lockups but they sound fine when you want to leave it

one tip d200 is heavy on batteries, 7 day shop do excellent one for £15 and fast 4gb cf card for £10 :)

Bring it and have fun. getting a bit pissed with dSLR in tow is a bit of a risk but managed to survive last year - and a few other drunken nights with me camera.

The only thing that makes me worry is mud and falling over with it. But its going to be hot and sunny!