Swine Flu

Guest JameSemajj

Yeah, ok, it's an excuse to start a radiohead thread, but on the serious note.. they are in Mexico at the moment, or have been recently.. i hope they don't catch this swine flu! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope it goes and god bless thoughs who have caught it and lets hope everyone is ok and it clears!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree with this 'out of proportion' argument really. 3 people have been infected by this in england or something.. How many people get diagonosed with cancer everyday? there would be a seperate channel for that if every case was shown on the news!

First it was mad cow disease, then foot and mouth, then bird flu and now swine flu. It's just something that is being used to distract the public from the real problems.

How many millions of people are the in the affected areas? And how many of them have died? 100-200? That's a tiny percentage. Most people just have 'regular' flu-like symptoms and get better.

Edit: didn't mean for this to sound insensitive btw!

Edited by tomdsjames

The point about swine flu is that it is a single dangerous strain of flu that could become a pandemic, how many people normal flu kills is an irrelevant fact to the dangers of swine flu.

It's like my saying to someone going to war oh you will be fine because more people die crossing the road.

ps. more like 177 people dead, whilst only 9 are confirmed swine flu I think its fair to assume Mexicans dying with flu like symptoms near a swine flu outbreak died of swine flu.

I wouldn't worry, it's just the latest non story to fill the papers now that Goody's croaked it and people have realised the economy is coming out the worst.

As far as it stands Swine flu has yet to transmit from human to human. There were reports I believe in Spain last night that it had, however judging by the fact that the report was buried as the 5th item on the news last night, and nothings been reported on this morning I take it that guys test came back negative. So far, the only people who have died are those who were in and around the source (IE the infected swine in a densely populated part of Mexico). The ridiculously sensationalized report yesterday that the first 'American' had died were void due the fact it was a Mexican kid that had gone over the border. The story has already been delegated behind the Iraq pullout today, and unless the flu transmits from one human to the next, or we have a non Mexican death I'd except it to continue to slide. As for the fear over a 'pandemic' people throw that word around as if it means a plague, or mass deaths, it doesn't.

As for the point that normal flu kills more each yeah...yeah it does! Moreover, anyone who has contracted the disease who doesn't live in probably one of the most unhealthiest places on the planet has so far only shown 'mild at best' symptoms.

Edited by Explosions_In_The_Sky