your camper van experience

Guest hope

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey rischbrit, you obviously got home ok? We were parked directly behind you in Betty, our blue and white T2. :)

We loved being in the campervan fields and will be doing it again next year. Quiet, comfy, dust free - it made all the difference to us.

We had a bit of an interesting journey down (a few mechanical problems!) but once we'd been pushed into place by some nice boys and stewards :D it was great. And she started up first time to get us off site and never faltered all the way home.

We had loads of space as we've got a Khyam awning and the Devon pop top is great. We had great neighbours all round us - and bags of space because Betty had over heated they just pushed us into position and then couldn't ask us to get a bit closer to the van next to us :lol:

Hill of Death - get a grip. We came back to the van in the middle of the day to have a chill before the nighttime shenanigans and it was no issue in normal circumstances - I did pity the poor people who had to cart all their tents off site via it though.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone in the West campervan fields - apparently they had no hill - but a walk once they were in site to reach anything. I loved that as soon as you were through Gate C you were bang in the site and moseying past the acoustic tent/kids field/though circus fields before you knew it. East side of the site is my fave anyway so would happily stick with the hill to be near the stuff we love.

Had the best time, wouldn't contemplate doing it in a tent on site

This may be a really daft question. Actually it's not - it's two daft questions...

1. What are awnings used for? Presumably you sleep inside the van - that's half the point, right?

2. The raised roofs - are these for extra headroom, or just for additional sleeping space?

Myself and the wifes first time to Glastonbury and we hired a campervan.

When we first arrived we wasnt given the correct campervan sticker and had to drive all the way out again to go back around! :angry:

Felt very comfortable even though we were squeezed in to an area mostly used as a path.(we arrived early evening Thursday)

Despite the noise of people walking past at night I got 1 very good nights sleep and at least 5-6 hours the other nights.

We put up an awning (just an area to sit in out of the van) and had the camp shower thing going on. Went back sometimes in the early afternoon to stock up on booze and chill out before heading back out for the early evening.

Heard about the hill of death before I went but it turned out to be a mildy inconvenient slope of dust!

Attached is a pic

DSC00005.jpg

Edited by sadclown

I've decided, I'm going to convert my own camper... :blink:

Don't ask me how, as haven't the slightest idea, and i certainly wouldn't describe myself as being into DIY. But it seems like a fun thing to do, and the bonus is that it *should* cost a hell of a lot less than buying a camper, and at the end of it i should have a more reliable machine that will be able to take my around Europe for a few months.

So anyway, just been checking the Glastonbury website to see what kinds of vehicles they allow into the camper car park, and it says:

Please check the website for more information about which types of vehicles can use these fields.

Don't ask me how, as haven't the slightest idea, and i certainly wouldn't describe myself as being into DIY. But it seems like a fun thing to do, and the bonus is that it *should* cost a hell of a lot less than buying a camper, and at the end of it i should have a more reliable machine that will be able to take my around Europe for a few months.

So anyway, just been checking the Glastonbury website to see what kinds of vehicles they allow into the camper car park, and it says:

Which is odd as this was on the website...

Anyone know then what the restrictions are? Is there a size / height restriction for example?

No height restrictions per se (although I think a couple of fields do have height restrictions of 4 metres due to overhead power lines).

Converting your own van: "What counts as 'suitable fitted facilities' in a camper/caravan?

Your campervan/caravan MUST have purpose-built fitted sleeping facilities and either fitted cooking or washing facilities. Any converted vehicles must clearly be live-in vehicles. This does not mean simply a van with a piece of foam cut to size for a bed, and a bucket for washing!"

Anything longer than 7 metres will require you to buy two campervan passes (although I'm not sure if they'd get a tape measure out if you were only slightly longer than that).

Check out this page for more info: http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/campervans-and-caravans