Benicassim 1st time - do I need a hotel? How hot? Safe to camp?

Guest shineman

Hey - I'm heading down this year for my first time! I was in spain once before in february. I keep hearing it is so hot in the summer.

do a lot of people camp on the beach? is it safe to camp there? do people go through your tents or is stuff pretty safe? will I be able to hang up my hammock if I bring it? Are there showers available to rinse off part way through?

what about the hotels? i found a deal for $660 euros for 7 days, plus another 50 euros for transportation back and forth. its a nice hotel in Oropesa del Mar. is it worth it? lot of money!

can someone who has done all this before give me some insight on what to expect?

if i go for the whole time (12 - 21st of July), will I have things to do? will there be a lot of people there?

i'm traveling solo. love to meet new people. very excited. just want to be prepared!

thanks!

Yes it's hot but unless there is a heatwave this year it's not 'unbearably' hot. I wouldn't advise actually camping on the beach, camp in the free campsites instead where you have toilet and shower facilities and a bar for beer, ice and food and everything is very safe and marshalled.

Lots of people do sleep on the beach, I don't know about this year but in previous years they have left the stage on the beach from the ballet which is actually very cool and shady to sleep under. This year with no beach party I'm not sure that will still be there. There have also, in previous years, been a lot of crusties/gypsies living on the beach and personally I wouldn't trust them too far to keep their hands off any unattended stuff since they are mostly drunk and fighting or arguing with one another.

If you want my advice camp in the campsite and if that's too hot then you can just leave your stuff in the campsite and sleep out on the beach anyway - there is a nice little park just next to the beach which has a lot of shade and nice grass which is nice to sleep in but unfortunately it does tend to be invaded by the drunk crusties/gyppos.

You can hang your hammock in the campsites provided you can find some room to do it which isn't really a definite. The campsites fills up pretty quickly so there's loads of people around from the monday, there's always a big crowd of friendly people around the bar in the campsite and benicassim town has plenty to do during the day in the way of places to eat and drink, there's the beach obviously and also a water park.

Edited by CmdrGravy

The best way to travel is not to prepare then the only thing you have to prepare for is not being prepared...if you catch my drift.

Really, trully, I challenge you to hitch hike to the festival, not to book a thing, and I guarantee you will have the best time meeting the kindest most open people...provided you don't bump into an oasis 'fan'.

three of my mates got kicked out of the festival last year for stealing what seemed like a million hats from the shop at the entrance of the campsite, so had to spend a night on the beach...the one who was not off his face on drugs said it was the worst night hes ever had, so i suppose you could stay on the beach depending on how your head was :D

three of my mates got kicked out of the festival last year for stealing what seemed like a million hats from the shop at the entrance of the campsite, so had to spend a night on the beach...the one who was not off his face on drugs said it was the worst night hes ever had, so i suppose you could stay on the beach depending on how your head was :huh:

P.S. Do not spend 660 Euros on accomodation - you could be robbed three times in a campsite and you'd still be better off by my maths!

As long as you're planning on drinking before heading to the festival 500 would be enough yeah. You can get really cheap wine/spirits from the supermarkets. i'm sure some wine is even around 70 cents a bottle.

Gin/Vodka etc can be got for about 6E too.

£500 for eight days thats what about £62 a day, I'm reckoning that's enough for a bocadillo de bacon con queso, two or three strong cups of coffee for brekkie, a meal and drink from one of the town's many cafes followed by a leisurely mocktail for lunch, two (decent) bottles of cava and a falafel for dinner and you'll still have enough for a couple of strong drinks at the festie...

As long as you're planning on drinking before heading to the festival 500 would be enough yeah. You can get really cheap wine/spirits from the supermarkets. i'm sure some wine is even around 70 cents a bottle.

Gin/Vodka etc can be got for about 6E too.

I'd forgotten about the good old european shot measures, half a pint of vodka & a dash of coke, just how I like them!

Are you allowed to take anything in with you? Cans etc?

I really should get my priorities straight & ask sensible questions about toilet facilities & stuff seeing as this is my 1st time.