Flags 2008

Guest halvin

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if your tracing plan works I might yet have a chance. Maybe i'll get 2 flags, one for someone to do a nice job on, and one for me to make a mess of (kind of like in the Simpsons when Marge makes 2 birthday cakes so that Homer has one to mess up)

Thank you very much :D . It's painted by hand (unless tracing counts as cheating :P ). I designed it in CorelDraw, exported it to a 2880 x 2800 bitmap, chopped the bitmap into 960 x 700 sections and dropped the sections into word. I expanded the imported bitmaps to fit each page (one per page, making sure they were all the same size), put a thin border around each and printed. I then trimmed the pages, stuck them on a board, put the flag on top, clipped it down to stop it moving and traced. From there it's just a question of painting by numbers.

OK, i really want to do the flag thing, but time and money could be an issue.

what length pole do people recommend? i was thinking maybe a 5m one?? don't intend to walk around with the flag, just leave it at my tent.

i reckon this all costs about £15 - £20....does that sounds like a reasonable budget?

lovin' the flags posted here! :lol:

OK, i really want to do the flag thing, but time and money could be an issue.

what length pole do people recommend? i was thinking maybe a 5m one?? don't intend to walk around with the flag, just leave it at my tent.

i reckon this all costs about £15 - £20....does that sounds like a reasonable budget?

lovin' the flags posted here! :lol:

That is wicked....have you ever heard of an artist called Caroline Shotton? This is very reminiscent of her stuff, and i mean that as a HUGE compliment!

Good news: my NEW 7M Pole from SkyBlue arrived today! Oh YAY! :D

(I already have a 6M Pole from last year but 2 of the sections are rammed and despite my best efforts to free it is unuseable as a full 6 metre.)

A big up for the folk at Sky Blue Leisure especially Brian. I only ordered this late Monday night via their website, and I phoned Tuesday to check if ok to go out that day. He said "Yep, I saw your request on the order, it has already gone through to the warehouse and is top of the pile. As you want delivery for Thursday I will send it ParcelForce 48"True to his word it arrived today as promised!

TBH I could have bought another brand of pole a few quid cheaper elsewhere on eBay but I wanted the bungees & only a quid so went with Sky Blue.

That is twice I have bought from them and both occasions arrived bang on time & all intact.

Bad News: With my new flag that I am customizing.

The Fabric paint I tried to use last night didn't work out. I immediately wiped it off & managed to save my flag by putting in the washing machine on a 30 degree delicates wash. Still had pencil outline that i want so happy with that.

I've just this evening tried to put a permanent outline using "DYLON FABRIC PAINTING PEN" and it has bleed like f**K.

Anyone else planning the same I suggest best avoid that method! :P

I'm off to a festival in the morning so will have to use as it is and only Godsend is that when 20 odd foot in the air it don't look so bad. I will try & paint in for next festival end of this month so very much still "Work In Progress" until I have it right for Glasto! :lol:

To get a straight line I masked the edge with tape and (this is the important bit) Lay some absorbent material below the flag, so any excess paint spreads in to that rather than along the flag material under the tape.

Hope this tip helps.

Edited to add>>>> I also used a flat stubby brush to 'pat' the paint over the masking tape for a claen edge, rather than a brush, so as not to put too much paint on.

Edited by Staberinde

eep....i'm in a not-even-checking-bank-balance phase at the moment, so might have to wait til the end of the month before i can do this! but i've wanted to take a flag to a festival for TEN YEARS NOW..... :lol:

maybe if i work on a design i'll HAVE to buy the equipment.....

For a low budget version, that I did for T in the Park (1995 I think!! :lol: ), I got a couple of second hand sheets from a charity shop and painted on them with poster paint from my local 99p shop, attached this to a couple of garden canes which I "borrowed" from my mum's tomatoes and then sprayed the flag with three coats of waterproofing spray (the kind you use for tents?).

:) I know how you feel, I have a very low budget at the moment due to purchasing my ticket, but it'll all be worth it at the end of June!!

For a low budget version, that I did for T in the Park (1995 I think!! :lol: ), I got a couple of second hand sheets from a charity shop and painted on them with poster paint from my local 99p shop, attached this to a couple of garden canes which I "borrowed" from my mum's tomatoes and then sprayed the flag with three coats of waterproofing spray (the kind you use for tents?).

Whole lot cost about a fiver!!? :D

It got rained on and survived!

Hope this helps!

Started my flag last night and plan on painting tonight, getting a bit excited now!! :D:):P:)