fancy a cold one?

Guest laid back in the sun

Hi,

Best way(if you`ve enough trolley room) is to get a car battery/inverter/travel fridge,the inverter connects to the battery boosting the 12v to 240v and voila!!!!cold beer/wine anything you frickin want.......aftersun anyone <_<

it worked for us last year,just put it on a couple hours at a time when you`re around your tent,lasted till the sun! (and thats with a small stereo etc running off it too)but the battery does have to have a fairly good cranking power

Edited by alphamaing

Hmm, it'd certainly work quite well if you had a vacuum chamber. All you'd need for that is a metal sphere, split in two with a gasket and clips, and a hand pump.

Regarding the sun/shade issue, I propose an experiment. (Purely in the name of science, you understand.)

Apparatus:

8 x beer cans

2 x towels

1 x bucket water

1 x thermometer

1 x sunny day

Who's with me?

There is some truth in the wet towel technique. Wraps your cans in a wet towel. Place this package in the SHADE. Cooling is more effective where there is wind. As the air blows across the wet towel, the water evaporates. Water molecules need energy to vaporise from the towel. They get their energy from any heat from within the can (conduction - ooh sciency). After a couple of hours, you can expect the temp of the drink to be around 2-5 degrees lower than the ambient temperature. It's not brilliant but better than nothing.

The other option is to buy a three way camping fridge. Night before festie, plug fridge into mains to get it as cool as possible. Chill all food and drink in your home fridge. In the morning, fill your camping fridge and place in car. Use the car plug from the fridge to connect to power supply from car fag lighter to keep fridge and contents cool while you travel to festie. Once at festie, connect fridge gas pipe to gas cylinder, switch gas on and ignite gas pilot. There you have it, cold drinks and fresh food all weekend. <_<

I put my cans of cider in the freezer usually bringing 36-48 cans (depending on how much red wine and frozen vodka and fruit juices I bring) of the two cases last year only 1 can exploded in the freezing process and arriving on Wednesday they were still pretty cool Saturday.

I keep them all in 2 cool bags with the frozen vodka and juices alongside, it works for me. <_<

i always jam the crate right in the corner of my tent an cover with all my stuff - this somehow ususally keeps the cans pretty cool.

I put all mine in the fridge the night before and turn up to coldest setting. Then before setting off in the morning I wrap the crate in a couple of space blankets and a sleeping bag.

Keeps it nice and cool for the first 2 days so long as i keep it wraped and in the shade.

Works great with meat for the BBQ as well. Worked too well last year and had to leave it out to defrost even on the second day.

Edited by I am Jon

• 9 months later...

Put can in old sock, pour petrol on sock, tie rope round sock and can, spin round head.

Same latent heat theory, except as petrol is more volatile than water it will thus evaporate more quickly.

Just drink cider that does not taste as bad warm as beer, or skittle vodka, obviously.

I make up 10 litres of woo woos before a go, that tastes great no matter what, I wonder what it tastes like on Friday - Sunday, guess I will never know.