The Glasto Handy Tips Guide

Guest sinned666

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, some of my tips that I can think of right now:-

* Take cash in small notes (£10's); (prevents being shortchanged, or forgetting to get change, loosing too much in one go)

* I take a cash reserve in £20's, could be kept in the lock-up (inside a larger bag with random stuff in to make it not obvious) or a money-belt.

* Crime is lower these days, but keep wallet or valuables on you when sleeping or at the bottom of the sleeping bag.

* Don't camp too near to paths (avoid people deliberately or accidentally crashing your tent).

* Avoid guy-ropes unless your tent requires them to stay up, or it's v.windy (dome tents are generally self-supporting and don't need them, once your bags inside there should be enough weight to keep it down). People trip over guy-ropes and could damage your tent and/or hurt themselves. If guy ropes are necessary for your tent them keep them short.

* Keep a set of dry clothes in the car for emergencies or changing into for the drive back. Also keep some water and basic food in the car, could be a long wait to get out of car parks.

* Plenty of AA & RAC vehicles in the car park, but if you were unlucky to get a flat, a small flat piece of wood could be useful to jack the car up in the field.

* Try to not take too much stuff, it's a long walk from the carpark to campsite. Getting a trolley is a really good idea:

I prefer the non-folding B&Q sack truck @ £12.98

A few threads about trolleys:-

off my trolley

which is better ?

The Great Glasto Best Trolley Thread...

Buy some TRAVEL JOHNS, these are available onsite at Joe Bananas if you forget beforehand, fantastic for that 3.00am pee, they don't smell, they re-seal and you just chuck em in the bin afterwards (they are biodegradable).

If you are taking all you spending money in so you don't have to go to the cash machines then spread the money all around, don't keep it all together.

Keep a clean spare set of clothes in your car for the journey home, I would also keep a few cereal bars, water etc aswell incase you are stuck in the car park queue from hell!

It's not what you bring (although moist andrex toilet paper, stuff to make your hands hygienic and soothing foot spray are all an absolute must!!) it's what you do when you get there.

My top tip to anyone, especially those going for the first time, is to spend at least one afternoon walking round on your own. You can't even begin to grasp what this marvelous festival has to offer unless you have a proper good bimble around the site without having to constantly wait for someone in your group to have a piss, stop for food or generally just delay you. Just have a wander where you want to go, see what you want to see and talk to complete randoms about nothing. Unless you make lots of new friends, arrange to meet your nearest and dearest that evening. And don't worry too much about having to get somewhere by a certain time. If you're meant to get there, you'll get there. Everything at Glastonbury is done at it's own pace.

Also, if you are a first timer, don't let Glasto long-timers spoil your voyage of discovery. They can guide you, but they should stand back and wait for the big ear-to-ear grins as you discover things yourself! The first time I went I had cool friends and they really enjoyed seeing me discover and enjoy it for the first time.

I'm a girl :wub:

Anyway, my top tip for girls would be to take leggings or tights. You can pop them on under skirts or shorts and they keep your legs warm when it gets chilly in the evening, they stop you getting wellyrub on your legs, plus they dry really quickly if they get muddy or wet, and they only cost about £1 from Primark.

Also, take less clothes than you think you'll need, except socks - take loads!

I'm a girl :wub:

Anyway, my top tip for girls would be to take leggings or tights. You can pop them on under skirts or shorts and they keep your legs warm when it gets chilly in the evening, they stop you getting wellyrub on your legs, plus they dry really quickly if they get muddy or wet, and they only cost about £1 from Primark.

Also, take less clothes than you think you'll need, except socks - take loads!

It's not what you bring

... it's what you leave there! Do the decent thing and clear up after yourselves. Take the bin bag & recycling bag you'll be given when you get through the gates and use them! If you plan on leaving your tent there, pack it up. Use the bins for your rubbish & recycling. A lot of people don't - but that doesn't mena it's OK.

I thought it would be a good idea for us all to post up some tips about glastonbury.

Anything from what to take, to how to pack would be great.

I think then anyone who may be a glasto veteran or newbie will see the idea and think why didnt i think of that and then do it at the festival thus making life easier..

If you're buying a new tent, have a trial run of putting it up in advance.

It's better to experience the howls of frustration as you realise that you've just spent the last 2hrs trying to put the bugger up inside out in your own garden, a few weeks in advance (gives the neighbours a giggle too :wub: ), rather than in the dark & (metaphorical) rain after a visit to the cider bus!

I'm very clever really. Honest.

... it's what you leave there! Do the decent thing and clear up after yourselves. Take the bin bag & recycling bag you'll be given when you get through the gates and use them! If you plan on leaving your tent there, pack it up. Use the bins for your rubbish & recycling. A lot of people don't - but that doesn't mena it's OK.

- Buy a newspaper on site and lay sheets under your rollmat. Cheap insulation.

- If your taking a daysack, take one of those drawstring bags. Its harder for thieves to pick pocket without you noticing, and there easier to dance in.

- Keep a copy of your bank hotline number incase you need to cancel any cards if you lose them.

tip number two search ebay for UFO led light there are loads available, they're cheap, light, bright, the batteries last ages and the bulbs will last years.

Totally agree, we took a couple of these last year and found them brilliant

By the way, I spotted these for sale in Poundland the other day