• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

harley my girl cat sat on top of the kitchen cupboard

harleycat.jpg

davey my boy cat posing for the camera

daveycat.jpg

cant be bothered to take photos of my rabbits.....they dont sit still long enough!

When i was younger i had 2 dwarf lop rabbits called Snowy and Daffy Duck, only one of Daffy's ears didn't 'lop' and when they were in a hutch together, Daffy got jealous and bit one of Snowy's ears off. So we kept them seperate from then on. :(

Also had 2 rats called Snuffels and Gizmo... both really friendly. I would love to have rats again. Plus 2 hamsters called Honey and Kevin... only my dad had a habit of calling them both Rodent 1 & 2.

I miss not having pets now I've moved out of my parents. Maybe when I get my own place and settle down a bit more I'll get a dog. Always loved the idea of having a labrador.. or a Jack Russell B)

yay xkcd!

cat_proximity.png

Can people no longer convey meaning in words anymore?

Or do we need only express now through generic sketches scribbled by someone with too much tinme on their hands?

Roughly translates as 'A person with a cat will make a goup of people wait in case the cat came home. Then, spotting the cat in the street, procede in a keystone cops style chase.' :(

Can people no longer convey meaning in words anymore?

Or do we need only express now through generic sketches scribbled by someone with too much tinme on their hands?

Pictures came before words innit.

Or rather, in the case of some Asian languages, pictures became words.

Edited by dakyras

Pictures came before words innit.

Or rather, in the case of some Asian languages, pictures became words.

All words are pictures. The letter is a picture referring to a symbolic order which dentoes a specified meaning. The referent isn't direct (like a photo), but related to a language. All languages do this, not just Asian.

Thing is, words are very sophisticated and have detached quite a bit from the pictures scribbled on walls of caves and such like. It would appear that the internet is wanting to go back to that - pictures set up to reflect contemporary meaning, thoughts and activities, rather than words to explain them and question them.

Edited by Cultseeker

All words are pictures. The letter is a picture referring to a symbolic order which dentoes a specified meaning. The referent isn't direct (like a photo), but related to a language. All languages do this, not just Asian.

Thing is, words are very sophisticated and have detached quite a bit from the pictures scribbled on walls of caves and such like. It would appear that the internet is wanting to go back to that - pictures set up to reflect contemporary meaning, thoughts and activities, rather than words to explain them and question them.

There you are implying that the written word is supreme to the spoken word. I would say that the written work is a betrail of the spoken word, which is a betrail of the thort word. Authough im with the idea that words are pictures or well there one in the same as a word can relate to a whole concept and cunjer up ideas in your head. And that is so clumserly explained that it makes my point for me.

• 1 year later...
I've had many pets over the years as well as adopting several injured wild animals for short periods of time.

I think my favourites were the rats who were so friendly and easy to train. They used to potter about the place and had great personalities. Also loved the guinea pigs because of the nioses they made.

At present I have a black labrador called Harry who is getting on in years.

harryfv5.jpg

Had to take Harry to the vet for the last time last night. God I'll miss him :O

RIP Harry 13th April 1997 - 27th July 2009

• 5 months later...
Right we have

2 dogs Max and ruby

a cat called bruno(we adopted him and didn't name him)

2 rabbits called grace and charlie

pond full of fish

3 chickens called hilda,gerty and lil

my mother loves looking after animals. Plus she always has that milan bloke on who whispers to dogs.

Edited by III

P1100148.jpg

His name is Flame, and would probably roll over for a burglar to tickle his belly.

I got him from an RSPCA shelter, along with another cat called Ash, who got killed by trying to beat up a Rottweiler. They and about 30 other cats belonged to a laboratory who were about to start experimenting on them, so he's got some experiment number tattoo on the inside of his ear.

Edited by dakyras

From the other thread:

ben and then murphy? anyone would think you had a thing for me! :P

It's cos your well dead sexy an aw that, know? :P Though Ben would have been put down before you were born, I was only 3, maybe 4 at the time, one of my earliest memories was him going to the vet and not coming back. :P Murphy was named before my dad got him. Previous owners couldn't look after him so they gave him to my dad. He's an amazing wee dog. :P

Omg... all our pets died last year except our cat Jekyll who is 18 and has senile dementia and meows ALL the time LOUDLY. I don't think they do care homes for elderly cats... do they??