Whos The Most Unworthiest Headliner Band At Download?

Guest r0w

'On sales terms, he's right.'

makes me think:

'Oooh....i dont even know where to begin with you' :)

seriously, i can't believe anyone here would argue sales in quality of music - as i said, Mika was the bestselling album of 2007. tell me you like Mika. please, tempt me.

for f**k's sake.

and then some:

'It's funny hearing all this shit these rapper's brag about,

Knowing all of them are walking around with massive doubts,

Talking 'bout it's only status and platinum plaques that count...

Pop-pop goes the weasel... the weasel...

Drop-drop goes the eisel... the eisel...

THIS IS HIP-HOP FOR THE PEOPLE!

THE PEOPLE!

STOP calling it EMO!

RARRGH!

Irony is DEAD.

It's so motherf**king dead, I was there by it's death bed.

And the last words that it said... was what?

Was... was WHIIIIITE BOOOOY!

I'm still sick with an independent record label!'

Sage Francis - 'Underground For Dummies'

Edited by Salt_On_Everything

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sales don't determine quality. At all. Sales do however determine how worthy a band is of headlining a festival. Much as I'd far rather see a 2-hour set from someone like Opeth than a 2-hour Lostprophets set, Opeth don't deserve to headline, because they haven't shifted enough records, haven't got enough fans, wouldn't sell many tickets. Lostprophets and MCR appeal to a larger proportion of the Download-going demographic than Tool and attract huge numbers of people that would go entirely for the headliners. A fair number of the people here would go regardless of the headliners because they're confident that there will be plenty of bands lower down/on the other stages that would make the ticket price worth-while. IMO Tool are the best band that's headlined Download, but they won't shift as many tickets. Download only has to put good headliners up in order to sell tickets, no other reason. Tool would attract a lot of people, but they wouldn't shift ticket sales up anywhere near as much as the likes of MCR and Lostprophets, depressingly.

• 9 months later...
well that partly answers king 101

As for MCR, they're shite. The spice girls sold more albums worldwide than MCR, doesnt mean they deserve to headline donington. Its about quality and quantity, not one or the other.

Feeder were only bumped up cos someone dropped out if i remember correctly, was it slipknot?

i thinks its about general acceptance by the typical donnignton crowd. From what i heard when mcr played a mass crowd descended on Korns set and it was near enough impossible to get into tent. A band like tool can headline okay as they have a mass of fans and alot of the general download crowd will be happy to go see them as fairweather fans or wont mind them being there. A band like metallica are always a hit as there generally accepted by most(true alot of people dislike them alot but they have alot of history with many a headbanger, be it when they where twelve or at current age). A band like lostprophets or mcr are going to be hated by a large poportion of the download crowd more then that of say GNR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i thinks its about general acceptance by the typical donnignton crowd. From what i heard when mcr played a mass crowd descended on Korns set and it was near enough impossible to get into tent. A band like tool can headline okay as they have a mass of fans and alot of the general download crowd will be happy to go see them as fairweather fans or wont mind them being there. A band like metallica are always a hit as there generally accepted by most(true alot of people dislike them alot but they have alot of history with many a headbanger, be it when they where twelve or at current age). A band like lostprophets or mcr are going to be hated by a large poportion of the download crowd more then that of say GNR.