Whos The Most Unworthiest Headliner Band At Download?

Guest r0w

Wow... truely we, the people of this board are blessed by your presence and wisdom, have you thought about writing a book about how all the music you like is good, but everything else is shit?

Maybe you could follow it up with "Ouch - A first hand account of jumping in front of a bus" :P

Edited by Jif1986

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I basically feel that to be a worthy headliner you need to have done the rounds, built up a gradual but eventually large fanbase, and be a proven draw at festivals.

Lostprophets, with a couple more albums under their belt to test their durability, could be perfectly capable headliners, but not this year, and not at Download. I'd far rather see bands like Machine Head - a band who have built up a solid and large fanbase over 15 odd years - get the spot than a bandwagon-jumping boyband who have suddenly scored a number one album and happen to be able to write a good tune or two. This also goes for MCR.

I think that The Offspring have certainly put in the slog to warrant a headline slot, but their time as a seriously big band is half a decade in the other direction now, and I honestly think that Judas Priest will get a bigger crowd.

My criteria for an unworth headliner would be something like ... Do not sell many tickets for their own shows or have limited material or have generally played lower down at other UK festivals and haven't done anything since to merit being higher.

On that i'd say Feeder for not selling many tickets for their own shows (have never consistently filled arena's and have nearly always been an "Apollo" band) and then Lostprophets and The Offspring (although LP played arena's last time out they were not full, nor was there any great demand for tickets and The Offspring have been playing Apollo's for a while now and also The Offspring on account as they played Leeds 3 years ago or so and they were 2nd down... they have NOT got bigger since then.

I'd also say Audioslave must be up there, were reasonably big on their own but never big enough to headline a mammoth festival!

I think every festival is guilty of some weak headliners but Downlad has a nack of pulling one out the bag nearly every year.

I basically feel that to be a worthy headliner you need to have done the rounds, built up a gradual but eventually large fanbase, and be a proven draw at festivals.

Lostprophets, with a couple more albums under their belt to test their durability, could be perfectly capable headliners, but not this year, and not at Download. I'd far rather see bands like Machine Head - a band who have built up a solid and large fanbase over 15 odd years - get the spot than a bandwagon-jumping boyband who have suddenly scored a number one album and happen to be able to write a good tune or two. This also goes for MCR.

I think that The Offspring have certainly put in the slog to warrant a headline slot, but their time as a seriously big band is half a decade in the other direction now, and I honestly think that Judas Priest will get a bigger crowd.

Edited by Addy__C

I thought GnR in 06 were fantastic. But I'm a huge fan, so I'm a little biased. I agree with some people that it wasn't really GnR, just Axl + co. But for me, Axl IS GnR. I would welcome them back with open arms any day over this years shocking headliners.

I can't be the only one who feels this way either. I'm pretty sure 06 sold out because of the Metallica/GnR combo.