ROCKET FESTIVAL, Spain, 2008

Guest ~james~

ROCKET FESTIVAL - Spain - 2008

Couldn't see a thread for this yet, so thought i'd start one...

Went to rocket 2006, because some friends went in 2005 and rated it very highly - I wasn't at all disappointed.

I know lots of festi's describe themselves as 'diverse' and 'eclectic', but Rocket actually seems to have pulled it off - crazy walkabout performances and shows, cinema, various bars, cabaret, big stages with impressive soundsystems, tasty wholesome food, fire shows, little themed areas, circus stuff, kids area, healing, skate park, loads of bizarre sculpture and art etc. It hasn't been going that long, so for a young festival I was surprised to see how professional it was. For a start there were big name acts, but also decent facilities and a generally well run site. The web site says they've been up to this sort of stuff for years, so I guess they must have all the contacts. They definitely know how to throw a good party!

Was also surprised that it somehow managed to accommodate all sorts of people (not too tame or too messy).

Its for sure one of the best festivals ive been to.

I was totally gutted when I found out it wasn't happening last year, but apparently the break allowed them to put more effort in to this year, so that can't be bad. As i've been gagging for it since 2006, I checked out the line up ( www.rocketfestival.com ). Its looking awesome already, which is a good sign as its still months away. Acts i'm excited about are - COLDCUT, THE NEXTMEN, PENDULUM, BAD MANNERS, JFB+BEARDYMAN (scratch champion+beatbox champion do), BABYHEAD, EVIL NINE - but there are more too. There's also a full run down at www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/rocketfestival/2008 and they have a myspace www.myspace.com/rocketfestivalspain

Oh, and one more thing, don't forget you get to leave Britain in May when its still windy wet cold and nasty, to go to a stunning mountain top in the south of Spain where its gloriously sunny, the wine is super cheap and you dont need your wellies. So its blatantly a holiday as well as a festival!

Anyone else been before or going this time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the new rocket website? They've changed it all round and updated everything.

I was clicking through it and found they've got a vj competition to make a video of what'd be seen from the 'spaceport bar'. People make videos, send them in and they get shown on the big screen in the main bar. Looks like if your video gets shown you get tickets to the fesival, and the overall winner gets transport too. I'm not too confident about live vj'ing, but i've definitely got some ideas for a pre-made video.

Details at http://rocketfestival.com/en/content/window-new-world

Also i noticed people have been talking about not wanting to fly - there is a big red party bus! Tootling down through france and spain playing swing music. Sadly i've booked flights already, but it sounds like a hoot!

Details for that are at http://rocketfestival.com/en/content/bus-uk

see you all in the sun...

• 2 weeks later...
no idea i´m afraid! looks like you have to add your contact info and all that to get in touch with them/for them to get in touch with you about it....

*meanwhile, in other news* i´ve discovered that both Hey Molly and Moonmonkey will be playing at this event..... now i have absolutely no idea they are, but of course if you stick 'em together you get a Hey MollyMoonmonkey - and that of course has gotta be wikKiDtastic!! :angry:

• 1 month later...

ok, i just discovered (in case you don´t already know!!) that the bus from the UK has been cancelled!! ...so that´s no longer a travel option... boooo :P

...so i´m trying to suss out the driving options, and the info on the website is very vague.

"El festival se encuentra a unos 10km de Alhama de Granada, una localidad que está a unos 50km al suroeste de Granada en Andalucía. Se accede rápidamente al recinto por carretera desde la A-92 entre Málaga y Granada. Consultad la página llegar en coche."

The festival is located about 10km from Alhama de Granada, a place which is about 50km south-west of Granada in Andalucia. It can be accessed quickly by motorway from the A-92 between Málaga and Granada. Check the page for arriving by car.

(no link to page for arriving by car, and i can´t find one! :) )

...any advice is mucho welcome from those who have been before or know the exact location. i´m off to buy my tickets *right now* but don´t wanna be left stranded driving around Andalucia.... it´s the most enormous of all the Spanish communities, so not much help!! :P

ok... so i´ve now found the ´how to arrive in car´ page... but it has a stoopid crappy map that shows an arrow pointing to the middle of grey-land!!! :P .....therefore, i´m still interested in any comments and feedback about the directions!! thanks!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

so, i made it (easily!) after my panic moment (the directions were clear and written at the bottom of the page i linked to, haha...)

a fantastic festie, great people, groovy vibe, really cool range of music (punk, ska, rock, dnb, trance, rock and more from what i heard).... and i´ve discovered a great spanish band i´ll be checking out more of: Muchachito Bombo Infierno ( have a look here for more info)

the creative side of the festie was a really wonderful element - including lots of robots and sculptures made from scrap metal - and the kids/play zone was great too.... was well pleased and impressed to see the effort that had been made here, making it a great welcome for families. i made some stuff out of clay but forgot to go back and collect it!

i´ll be looking forward to next year (fingers crossed they made enough to return for another one!) and i reckon i´ll be volunteering my kids workshop assistance too :lol:

any feedback from others? i´ll stick up my photos v. soon... would love to see others!

• 3 months later...
:D Sounds bloody lovely.......will pencil it in.......depends on me holidays etc....cheerz Boris man.... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds great!! :lol:

We're considering this next year now that Dragon Festival has been cancelled -- see other thread on the International Forum.

Bit concerned about date clashes with UK stuff though .. we'll see!

Anyone know the dates for Rocket 2009 yet?

• 4 months later...

well i'm sorry to announce that there's *no rocket festival this year* ....but it looks like this will only serve to make way for a new and improved version next year anyway!!!

so now i'm to hunt for some new festie-ness to check out in easter :lol: ....watch this space....

quote from rocket website:

<

News and latest website updates:

No Rocket Festival in 2009

Sadly the Rocket Festival 2009 won't be taking place. A number of factors have contributed to this very difficult decision but we feel that by taking a year off the team can concentrate on ensuring that Rocket 2010 will be an unforgetable adventure once again. A huge thank you to everyone who came to the festival in 2008 to work, perform and above all enjoy.

>