Rock im Park

Guest tommay

hey hey, we're a gang of swedes headed down to RIP. it'll be our first time too! we've browsed about the german rail-sites and the best thing we could find were the 5-day trainpasses which cost like €140 or something like that.. but they haven't been bought yet, so if we manage to find those €30-40 tickets that would be awesome..

so could you who have been there before fill us in on things like how quickly the campsites fill up, which ones to avoid, what things we can't bring in, etc etc. just general RIP-tips pretty much.. that would be really appreciated - by most people here methinks!

Edited by Squig

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Last.fm and parkrocker.com, there aren't that many ppl here who have been to RiP and those who went went by plane as far as I know. Better try to talk to some Germans. Dunno about those 30€ Tickets, the grouptickets are usually the cheapest you can get. From where do you need to go exactly?

Hey,

Like many other people I was hoping to got to RaR but now it's sold out I'm looking into RiP.

The website is pretty confusing and was hoping for some help from the seasoned festival goers.

Going for ryanair/easyjet but don't know whether it's best to go to Munich or Frankfurt then take a train?

What day does the camping open? And is travel included in your festival ticket, maybe a dumb question but it was included when I went to Pukkelpop

Cheers!

Having been to both Rock Am Ring and Rock Im Park i would choose Rock Im Park, mainly because Rock Am Ring is in the middle of nowhere and it rained a lot (i think this might have something to do with the geography of the area). Rock Im Park does tend to have slightly fewer bands but the line up is generally the same.

Having said that I had an awesome time at both; so much better than over priced skanky british festivals.

Off to Graspop Metal Meeting in Belgium this year!!

Travel is not included, no German festival does that (even though parking is free usually) . You can get there by public transportation in the city to Nuremberg, so ideally you want to fly to Nuremberg airport. If that's not possible, go to Nuremberg Main Train station (german: Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof). Munich is a bit closer than Frankfurt. Forget Frankfurt Hahn in any case, that's about as far away as Vienna. A third Option is the Leipzig/Halle airport. Take the cheapest flight to any of the three (Frankfurt Intl, Munich, Leipzig/Halle), then take a train to Nuremberg. You should be able to book tickets online on www.db.de on the 1st of April, and the earlier you book the cheaper they are. Sometimes there are special offers that are cheaper, for Copenhagen you should check the Danish rail company. Another option for travel are coaches, Eurolines tends to be cheaper than DB, I'd just google for that.

I think camping opens on thursday, possibly earlier. There's enough space for everyone, and it is quite compact.

Hurry up with tickets, as RaR is sold out already they won't last that long.

Well I think I just reserved my tickets, going to the bank tomorrow to check they can arrange a transfer. Would have been easier if I had a credit card, but nevermind.

Think we'll be heading from Munich on the Thursday morning, and back on the Monday afternoon. Still need to book flight and will get train tickets sorted out in April.

Hopefully get to hang around Munich for a few days as long as my budget stretches.

Arggh the excitement!!!!

My faith in international ticket sales was a bit shaky (especially as there appeared to be no extra charge for foreign sales) , but my tickets arrived today, just a week or so since ordering, solid. If my rudimentary knowledge of German serves me well, then as Squid said camping opens Thursday morning, 10am to be precise. Was hoping for Wednesday as that's when I'm arriving... looks like a hostel job the night before. Bring on Motorhead!

bought my tickets today! had wanted rock am ring but was too slow! but i rekon the order of days is better at RiP rage on saturday and metallica on sunday.

gonna be travelling from ireland, will prob go dublin-frankfurt then hire a car, tho undecided as yet!

bought my tickets today! had wanted rock am ring but was too slow! but i rekon the order of days is better at RiP rage on saturday and metallica on sunday.

gonna be travelling from ireland, will prob go dublin-frankfurt then hire a car, tho undecided as yet!

Looking into booking train tickets but I need to wait til Friday when I get paid.

Think the cheapest tickets from Munich have gone already, but they do a half price 1st class ticket which works out about £40 return.

Is anyone else here thinking of going from Munich? It's cheaper for groups of people to travel together.

Tickets arrived this morning! Woop woop! Germans are certainly efficient :rolleyes:

Ok I hate to be a pain asking loads of questions, but there's a lack of English on the official website and google translator makes me want to throw my pc out the window. Just any info from seasoned RiP-ers would be appreciated.

Would be good if we could get a FAQ post like they've done for RaR.

1. What are the rules for the campsite? Presumably it's ok to bring in food and drink as long as it's not in glass bottles.

2. Is there a reasonable supermarket within walking distance to stock up on food and drink?

3. Do you need to be there early to get a good camping space? Or should we just park our asses on some grass, open some beers and wait for the queues to die down? <_<

4. Website says something about a 5 euro deposit. Do they give you a rubbish bag on entry and we just have to fill it? Or do we have to hunt down these bags?

Someone earlier was worried about not speaking German. Don't worry! I lived in Berlin for 3 months and any time I tried to speak in German people would reply in English. My German must have been really bad :lol:

However it is always good to try learn a little, a good place to pick up some phrases is with the Radio Lingua podcasts

http://www.radiolingua.com/ourpodcasts/index.html

Edited by sweetdudess

So, just to be absolutely clear, you can stay in a hotel and get passouts from the Rock im Park festival? What if your ticket includes camping? Do you have to stay in the festival grounds each night?

Thanks ;)