Settle Festival

Guest mark dale

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Yes vote from me too :P

Its fascinating the different reactions you can experience from local authority to local authority. Some of the suggestions being brought up by the police seem ridiculous for what is actually a fairly small event in comparison to many. I would think that even with the license being granted, the financial burden they will place on you could cause issues.

We (Sunrise) are based in the same county as Glastonbury and, whilst that causes us issues - such as high levels of scrutiny and constant comparison - we also benefit from the relative experience of the local authorities related to festivals. For instance, one resident speaks of 600 criminals per 20,000 attendees. We had about 8,500 people at the last Sunrise and there were 4 reported crimes. In 2006 there were 6 for about 7,000 people. The local Police have now stated that the event has too low a crime rate for them to enforce policing upon us and, for the most part, have been totally supportive in their offer of services and advice. This applies across the spectrum of responsible authorities. I have found that it is possible to build up a relationship with the authorities that benefits both parties - mostly by showing respect towards what they are trying to achieve, listening to what they have to offer and showing that you are responding to this feedback. Also, it is often a matter of earning their trust and respect. I have no doubt that you are doing fine with all these things, Mark, and you are clearly showing willing to fit in with what they require at every step.

It makes me cringe to see some of the objections, and, like others, total deja vu. Naturally, if the event was allowed to happen, whilst lots of other issues would appear, the ones listed would prove to be completely fictional.

I really hope you can work through these issues and get a result this time. If not, keep working on it. Let me know if there's any help you need.

Cheers,

Dan

very kind words dan, thank-you !!

what is the crazy thing, is that we are not doing this for a profit for any of us - it is a community project, with any proceeds going back into the local community ........ with full support from the councils, authorities etc .....

for around here, it is quite big, and quite new, hence why i think some parties are being cautious ...... but, we are happy to be guinea pigs in some respects, and are conversing at all levels ...

... except with 1 or 2 nimbys, who also are using some folks as pawns i feel ...ie , those who do have a genuine concern, and need some reassurance, and work from us to make sure that their concerns won't materialize ... yet they have been conscripted by the radicals and even have to pay for the priveledge!! - they are all having to pay towards their legal fees .... some people eh - preying on the old, worried, concerned and easily manipulated, to aid their own vendetta ....

oh well,

waiting for the news on wednesday

next project - uphill waterskiing ..should be easier !! :P

mark " trying to get a good thing going" dale

or

mark " you lot better buy some tickets after all this" dale

Well, ifs its any consolation - the length of the wait would suggest to me that they are very likely working on a very complicated set of conditions, rather than simply rejecting it. I was told by a license officer once that that is what normally causes delays. Its unlikely that they would make you wait so long only to tell you No - its a very simple word and they do not need to tell you why they have said it.

Only question then is what effect the conditions have on you.

I may be eating my only words shortly (hope not), but I reckon this wait is a good sign