Summer Solstice ad Stonehenge 2008

Guest WaterLily

Hello all =)

My name is Maria, I'm 22 and I live in Denmark.

I have three friends with whom I visited Iceland this year since one of them is from Iceland. We want to repeat our Adventure07 next year - in 2008 - but this time in England as the icelandic quarter of us moved to Stratford this summer. And one thing I REALLY want to do is go to the summer solstice celebration at Stonehenge around the 21st of june.

But I have no idea exactly when it is, where is it or how to get there from where he lives - Keogh Road, E15 Stratford. Or how long it takes to get there, how much it costs and how on earth we get back early in the morning when it's all over.

My friends are all for going, but it's my responsibility to arrange it, but I need some help from a nice brit who can give me some directions, tell me what train/bus to take and maybe point me to a website that tells where and when and so on.

I really, really want to go! I'm a student and chronically ill, so money is tight, and my friends are kind enough to help me pay for my part of our Adventure08. So we can all go again, together. I've wanted to go to this yearly event for years and now I have the chance!

So, can anyone help me? =)

Thank you so much in advance!

~Maria

Hello all =)

My name is Maria, I'm 22 and I live in Denmark.

I have three friends with whom I visited Iceland this year since one of them is from Iceland. We want to repeat our Adventure07 next year - in 2008 - but this time in England as the icelandic quarter of us moved to Stratford this summer. And one thing I REALLY want to do is go to the summer solstice celebration at Stonehenge around the 21st of june.

But I have no idea exactly when it is, where is it or how to get there from where he lives - Keogh Road, E15 Stratford. Or how long it takes to get there, how much it costs and how on earth we get back early in the morning when it's all over.

My friends are all for going, but it's my responsibility to arrange it, but I need some help from a nice brit who can give me some directions, tell me what train/bus to take and maybe point me to a website that tells where and when and so on.

I really, really want to go! I'm a student and chronically ill, so money is tight, and my friends are kind enough to help me pay for my part of our Adventure08. So we can all go again, together. I've wanted to go to this yearly event for years and now I have the chance!

So, can anyone help me? =)

Thank you so much in advance!

~Maria

• 5 months later...

Its probably about 100 miles from London, west. Normally opens at about 8pm and closes at 12pm mid day. You can usually camp in the car-park which is a big field. The actual Stones are about 1km walk away, you can not camp or take very large bags etc into the actual Stonehenge area, you can take beer wine etc but no glass bottles. Although if you have rucksack I'm sure they would let you in ok. It is very windy and cold at night as this is on Salibury Plain which is an army training area, quite desolate, so bring a hat warm coat etc!

If you have transport you could also visit Avebury which is another stone circle about 10-20 km away to the North West. You cannot really park there though so you would need a lift or taxi etc.

Good luck

Im so excited for the summer solstice celebrations at stone henge this year. Couldnt go last year as was at Glastonbury, went in 2006 and it was amazing-if quite wet and not a very good sunrise, but the atmosphere was electric, all the bongos and chanting was so atmospheric.roll on!!

we've got a big Subgiant contingent going this year.. really looking forward to it as we've missed a couple of years...

this pdf is well worth having a look at, but don't be put off by all the rules, it's really quite relaxed once you get inside the ring of many thousands of police!

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/...L_07_Apr_08.pdf

outside the perimiter there are police everywhere but inside they seem to leave you alone....

it will be a bigger event this year I think as 1. it doesn't clash with Glastonbury this year and 2. The solstice falls on a Friday/Saturday for once!

bring a drum! ;)

I got kicked-off the site once for handing out festival flyers. Seems it's against English Heritage rules. Did my street cred no harm though.

Seriously, it's an event everyone should experience at least once in their lives. Really moving.

But if you're travelling by car allow plenty of time as the roads for miles around get completely jammed as sunrise approaches.

• 2 weeks later...
Im so excited for the summer solstice celebrations at stone henge this year. Couldnt go last year as was at Glastonbury, went in 2006 and it was amazing-if quite wet and not a very good sunrise, but the atmosphere was electric, all the bongos and chanting was so atmospheric.roll on!!

I would really like to go down tomorrow but have no money for transport and was wondering if anyone has a space in their vehicle going from london?

please email bluerib@hotmail.co.uk if so.

So..did you go and what did ya think?

We loved it, sat there all night in the rain got absolutely soaked but the experience was amazing !!!

Shame there wasn't an actual sunrise as it was too cloudy and wet but it was ace all the same! 30,000 people went this year !

• 11 months later...