more artists suggestions!!

Guest Wychwood Office

There are already some great suggestions in General Chat, so we've made an official area for you to give us your ideas/ suggestions for bands for next year.

Have you seen any bands at other festivals/gigs that have caught your attention?

Who do you think will be big in 2008?

Any festival favourites that you'd like to see again?

Put all your suggestions here and we'll have to see what we can do :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

roots manuva

shpongle

jah wobble

massive attack

chumba wumba

khaled

abdul ali slimani

steel pulse

freestylers

juno reactor

eat static

enigma

deep forest

chemical brothers

orbital

baaba maal

drummers of burundi

from before

dreadzone from before amazing and considering one of the band members much love and support to them a must have return

alabama 3

trans global underground

backa beyond

bays

rodrigo y gabriela

...god, this type of thread (although popular on EVERY forum ) is so boring. Post after post - getting more and more worthy and obscure!!!!

Can anyone prove that any booking is made on what we all type on these pages.

Go on, prove me wrong

BANCO DE GAIA

KULA SHAKER

MICHAEL WOOKEY

BLACK BART

IAN HUNTER

HUCKLEBERRIES

ELEPHANT TALK

etc. etc. etc. etc......................................

.......................................etc.etc.etc.etc..............

RYAN ADAMS

NEIL YOUNG

....now we're getting silly and way over budget..................

Of course we can't PROVE it, but I know that requests/suggestions have been made, and bookings appear to be made - how you prove that is based on our suggestions or not is a different matter. I know you feel very cynical about this, but surely it must give some help in the selection process for those who organise the festivals? Either through direct suggestion, weight of votes for a particular band, or just through the 'tone' of the requests. I also do feel that the Wychwood folk do listen to what is said - and you're right if we get into the realms of too expensive/too obscure/pretentious it aint going to be picked up, and we can't have everything that we all want after all, can we?!

Also, I know that I have found out about music I didn't know about and now love through lists of suggestions like this, so there are other purposes too! Don't you go to friends' houses and look through their CD collections to see what there is?!!!

Dear Marooned and Snowangel

I just wanted to let you know that yes we do look at all the bands you suggest on these forums very seriously and as well as the bands we look to book we always try and book from our audience suggestions too. So please please do keep telling us your ideas for bands and for any other entertainment or elements of the festival where you have ideas and suggestions.

From your ideas we get a lot of CDs in to listen to, and go to a number of gigs as well as do a lot of research to see if these bands can fit into Wychwood...we also put a lot of offers on and chase a lot of bands that you suggest but that don't necessarily end up coming to Wychwood simply because they are not available on the dates or because they want silly money to play!

So please do keep your ideas coming, they are extremely valuable to us!

Best wishes

Graeme

I thought that would get the wolves from out of the bushes - so, we can expect the brilliant and 'one-off' Michael Wookey next year then?

Seriously, in my dealings with quite a few 'festival offices', the Wychwood Brigade are definitely the most customer friendly, so, if they say they listen to us, then I believe them!

AND, more seriously, of all the festivals I've been to this year, Wychwood is sitting in No.1 position - much much better than it's 'sister' festival at Larmer Tree - which seems to have gone rather 'stale'. Perhaps not the place to discuss their festival - but their forum has been down for months and months now - hasn't it Mandylou (sorry, Snowangel!!!!!)

Yes, Wychwood is sitting in No.1 position - but we're off to Womad next week...............?!?

back to the obscure and worthy suggestions then

...KAMEL NITRATE

KULA SHAKER

BANCO DE GAIA

THE LITTLE PEOPLE OF KWANA NASTRA'S COMBINED MOUTH FLUTE ORCHESTRA with LULU

etc.etc.etc..........................................

yep - we had a great time at Wychwood, and would definitely give serious thought to going again next year. I was just thinking beautiful thoughts about the giant kite things (yes, I should be doing something else!!). I am jealous about Womad!

And I do really like the 'personal-ness' of Wychwood - perhaps just cos its a baby, but I do think that Graeme really cares about it - so thanks to him and his team, and long may you feel that way!

• 1 month later...

The mix of different styles of music at Wychwood for the first and third years has been fantastic year two didn't do it for me so much but hey. I've discovered so many bands new to me as well as seeing some all time favorites, I'd love to see next year:

The Cat Empire, saw them in Bristol not seen the academy dance like it for years, playing Shepherds Bush Empire Nov. 30. recommend that gig

Manu Chao

Michelle Shocked

Massive Attack

also a return for Baka Beyond and of course Rodrigo and Gabrielle

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Book ALL of these & I'll come & find you & declare my undying love! Book just a couple of them & hot dang I'm still gonna love ya!!

STEVE EARLE.

SHOOTER JENNINGS.

RICKY WARWICK.

JUSTIN CURRIE.

STEViE - ONE BLOKE ONE MANDOLIN.

TRUE DECEIVERS.

ROBERT PLANT & ALISON KRAUSS.

BILLY BRAGG.

JEFFREY FOUCAULT.

DELBERT McCLINTON.

Whoa there Marooned!! Ain't no line dancing going on there my friend. Just PROPER country/rock/roots & folk. Trust me dude, I know of which I speak! Ricky Warwick, for instance, is the fontman in The Almighty, one of the greatest ever British rock bands, while solo he's more in a Bruce Springsteen/Steve Earle kinda vein. But you sure as hoss s**t cannae line dance to it!! STEViE, One Bloke One Mandolin is a good mate of mine, and take it from me, he would probably twat you round the head with his mandolin if he caught you line dancing! HOWEVER, at the fest next year we could meet up, get drunk together & do an ironic line dance if ya like (so long as STEViE doesn't catch me)!! :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

For what its worth….There’s a few acts from the smaller stages that have really stuck from last summer’s festivals & would really love to see again.

I thought the Destroyers were brilliant at Wychwood last year, also the Ralfe Band (Julian Barrett on TV the other day said he & Noel Fielding might be doing some festivals next year?).

I thought David Ford played a blinder at Cornbury & was also lucky enough to catch Dan Reeder.

Bill Posters Band were one of the unexpected highlights at Rhythm, also Wild Willy Barrett (can now understand his quip about Otway ruining his carreer!)

And from EOTR festival, Archie Bronson Outfit, The Young Republic.

But if there was one above all others that really stood out, it was David Thomas Broughton ~ what a truly unique talent.

Oh, and since I’m doing a Santa’s wish list, Cathead (Tim Phillips) if he could be coaxed back into doing some festival gigs & the Sofa Club (never seen them, but heard enough to wish I had)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just got my letter confirming me as a steward, hurray - so may I add the following for consideration :

I'm from Barcelona (fantastic at EOTR last year)

Misty's Big Adventure (a festie favourite of mine)

The Men They Couldn't Hang (one of my all-time faves)

The Broken Family Band (another festie favourite)

Jim Fox (brilliant singer/songwriter from Swansea see his myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=80929882 or website www.jimfox.org

...they were indeed - and (PLUG, PLUG) what a brilliant festival!!!

Go on everyone - start with Wychwood, end with End of the Road - June to September with another couple inbetween - you know it makes sense.

EOTR, bit cold at night mind you!!