To go or not to go?

Guest midnight_toker

Hi all,

we're long-term festival go-ers who are thinking about coming to Beautiful Days next year. We love Glasto (how could you not?!) and used to like some of the other big festivals but in recent years have become disillusioned with some of them (especially V, which we've found to be nothing more than a money-making machine with poor facilities (I don't expect luxury, but enough space for everyones' tents and toilets that will be emptied before they flood the area isn't too much to ask, I don't think), too many chavs and too many people crammed in).

So, the question is: "is Beautiful Days for us?" I guess you'd all recommend it, but are there things to do there? My impression of it is that it is a small festival that is focussed more on the atmosphere than the headline bands - which sounds great to me, but obviously good music is a must! I could quite happily go to Glasto and not see a single band, but there is so much going on there that you don't get bored.

Can anyone give us some advice on whether we'd find BD to be the festie we're looking for?

Thanks!

:lol:

We being a long term festival goer - i love it. I've never been keen on big commercial festies my exceptions being Glasto and IOW. Beaut Days doesn't feel like a money making machine and always guarantees an eclectic of festie favourites past and present on the bill. There are some shops, loads of workshops for kids - I'd call it family friendly - late night entertainment in the form of dance tents and has Spiegel tent also for karaoke/cabaret stuff. Mainly it's attendees tend to be old school vets who like a natter over a pint with some good music in the background. All the acts there have been excellent and if there's someone on you don't like there's invariably someone else on you do. Really it depends on what you look for in a festie but some old school tunes, with a heavy fiddle influence put it firmly on the list of festivals to attend for me.

We being a long term festival goer - i love it. I've never been keen on big commercial festies my exceptions being Glasto and IOW. Beaut Days doesn't feel like a money making machine and always guarantees an eclectic of festie favourites past and present on the bill. There are some shops, loads of workshops for kids - I'd call it family friendly - late night entertainment in the form of dance tents and has Spiegel tent also for karaoke/cabaret stuff. Mainly it's attendees tend to be old school vets who like a natter over a pint with some good music in the background. All the acts there have been excellent and if there's someone on you don't like there's invariably someone else on you do. Really it depends on what you look for in a festie but some old school tunes, with a heavy fiddle influence put it firmly on the list of festivals to attend for me.

Depends of course on what you consider to be 'good music', midnight-toker......

Main stage ranging from KT Tunstall & Boney M through to Dreadzone and Gogol Bordello this year.

Main tent overall folky or acousticcy

Dance tent overall dancy :lol:

Then some smaller ones with some smaller but nonetheless enticing acts.....

Yeah tell us your music tastes and possibly we can suggest a festie based on that.

Depends of course on what you consider to be 'good music', midnight-toker......

Main stage ranging from KT Tunstall & Boney M through to Dreadzone and Gogol Bordello this year.

Main tent overall folky or acousticcy

Dance tent overall dancy :lol:

Then some smaller ones with some smaller but nonetheless enticing acts.....

Yep, good sum up but you forgot to mention The Dub Pistols and 3 Daft Monkeys, for me they were two of the major highlights of this year.

Oh, BTW just had a look at posting from "midnight-toker about Birthday Statistics after a late night smoke.

So "midnight-toker" you will get on fine with TSU as he is a mathematical nutcase, just like you and Mr Toker. And if you like a late night smoke, well then you'll be in good company with several E-Festival BDay go-ers :D

Can't wait til next year and TSU again having a conversation with God :lol:

Edited by timespeedsup

Is it Subgiant you are thinking of in the other post?

Yes, Subgiant of course.

I was distracted by Spurs v Middlesborough. We won 2 - 0 so another cup run beckons this season. :D

Coventry won at Old Trafford :lol:

Enuff, i'll save it for the footie forums.

What are you going on about "Neale Donald Walsh & theology".

Keep that up and you'll put people off B days and I know you'll wanna camp nr Paul, Rollergirl and other E-Festies next year. :D

"Shouldn't Spurs be concentrating on the league???" mmmmmm. Always been more of a cup side

"I'll camp where I'm told to camp at BD, I'm the brawn not the brains at that one...."

I disagree. I thought I was the donkey fetching all our stuff. We need your brains to work out how are camp takes shape! :lol:

Just past midnight now. Will the Tokers decide To go or Not to Go?

Blimey, just got back online and saw all your responses! Thanks guys. I didn't intentionally start a discussion about the footie, but there you go!

I was intrigued by HSCs' analysis of me from just my sex and my birthday! Nice try, but I'm afraid you're way off! I'm not sure that anyone can be too young for punk and ska - can they? If so, I'm not one of them! I don't know how I would sum up my musical tastes - eclectic perhaps? I should have said that I knew that the Levellers ran BD - that suits us nicely! Didn't really do the whole acid house thang (was more into Sisters of Mercy/the Cure/Joy Division in my younger years); and generally most things go - and if it's live then it's better! Yes, I like the Killers etc, but personal Glasto musical highlights this year were the Marley Brothers and Rodrigo y Gabriella - any chance of them playing BD next year do ya think?!

Anyway - what I hear of BD is good, so I think we might just take a chance and go for it! Heck, it's got to be better than V!!

Cheers all

Blimey, just got back online and saw all your responses! Thanks guys. I didn't intentionally start a discussion about the footie, but there you go!

I was intrigued by HSCs' analysis of me from just my sex and my birthday! Nice try, but I'm afraid you're way off! I'm not sure that anyone can be too young for punk and ska - can they? If so, I'm not one of them! I don't know how I would sum up my musical tastes - eclectic perhaps? I should have said that I knew that the Levellers ran BD - that suits us nicely! Didn't really do the whole acid house thang (was more into Sisters of Mercy/the Cure/Joy Division in my younger years); and generally most things go - and if it's live then it's better! Yes, I like the Killers etc, but personal Glasto musical highlights this year were the Marley Brothers and Rodrigo y Gabriella - any chance of them playing BD next year do ya think?!

Anyway - what I hear of BD is good, so I think we might just take a chance and go for it! Heck, it's got to be better than V!!

Cheers all

Go goth girl! Am putting some Sisters on in appreciation, not that I find it hard to play the black stuff. 2006 has Killing Joke and Echo, not too far from the goth range. But they also had Gomez & The Proclaimers that year too, both of whom I well enjoyed.

Not sure about the Marleys, too big IMO, but usually some reggae around (Easy Stars this year, had Steel Pulse and Culture in the past). Likewise RyG seem a little too big now, albeit they'd go down nicely. But the fest has a good record of digging out excellent acts who've seldom/ever been heard of too, so all is :lol: there.

Just under 11 months to go......

Go goth girl! Am putting some Sisters on in appreciation, not that I find it hard to play the black stuff. 2006 has Killing Joke and Echo, not too far from the goth range. But they also had Gomez & The Proclaimers that year too, both of whom I well enjoyed.

Not sure about the Marleys, too big IMO, but usually some reggae around (Easy Stars this year, had Steel Pulse and Culture in the past). Likewise RyG seem a little too big now, albeit they'd go down nicely. But the fest has a good record of digging out excellent acts who've seldom/ever been heard of too, so all is :lol: there.

Just under 11 months to go......

Edited by Harrow Strongbow Ciderman!

Either will do, they sound the same :lol: <awaits a pox being cast in his general direction>

Never listened to BAD actually, so I do hope so..... :lol:

My daughter was born in 1986 and wouldn't miss BDays for the world - mostly because of the old school punk bands and plenty of ska and reggae!!

I of course, am old enough to remember it first time round :D