Rhythm Festival 2008 - 29, 30, 31 August, Twinwood Arena, Near Bedford

Guest rhythm2006

Well we had a pretty good time overall, and the weather on Saturday was superb.

Very very impressed by Michelle Shocked, and Steve Cropper and the Animals made me stand up and take notice as well.

The other absolute highlight for me was Richie Havens, what a legend :lol:

Liked Jah Wobble's set a lot, and Neville Staple and band gave a truly great show as ever.

Disappointed by the weather on Sunday -- the dull and damp and rain was predicted, and actually conditions turned out to be not nearly as extreme as warned of in some forecasts, but what a dismal contrast to Saturday.

Also disappointed a LOT by the closure of the Tin Hat Club at 11 on Sunday night, and the closure altogether of the Green Room that evening, after being promised more late night entertainment this time, we got less than was even the case last year on the Sunday, when the Green Room went on pretty late.

Real shame Groovy Movie didn't make it either, what happened to them?

Shame the Potbelly beer and Gwynt y Ddraig cider at the Nags Head ran out, but that was understandable as it was truly excellent. Order more next time please though!

Food choice was OK but almost all the stalls closing down by about 10:30 on Sunday was a bit frustrating.

These are niggles though -- for us the plusses outweighed the minusses by quite some way.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes--your thoughts a amplified on the forum itself. To be sat in the main arena at about 10pm-- empty as the beer pumps--- was eerie and shite. It might be the council etc etc --we dont know--but like you said --it was promised more late night entertainment--and quite frankly--as in previous years--there just isnt any (or at least any thats findable)

Like you--- dont mean to sound wingy-- but for a lot of people--one of the draws of a fest is letting it hang out into the late hours.

Butlins goes on for longer than Twinwood!

The weather was shite on sunday --theres no getting away from it--- and I still maintain that moving it to the end of the month,regardless of clashes etc is a mistake-- the nights draw in now at 8 ish and puts a different slant on thing. At least it wasnt cold--but thats lucky it wasn`t as windy and monday.

But--also like you -- we had a fantastic time under the circs. I hate saying "who was brilliant" cos whilst you blew yer lot over Richie havens---- we went for noodles cos he bored our tits off and we could hardly hear him either :lol:

den

We have been going to this since it started and have always enjoyed it in the past.

On the whole we enjoyed this one, but I have to echo what has been said about the late night entertainment and the abrupt end on Sunday. It put a bit of a downer on things.

We really enjoyed the Green Room and Marquee stage on Friday night but after that we never found the Green Room again (started to think we had imagined it), and all the bars had closed by 10.30pm on Sunday so we headed back to the van and partied there.

Also some friends with kids left on Sunday morning as the promised kids stuff had not materialised on Saturday and the kids were bored.

Musically the festival was excellent and I really enjoyed Gandalf Murphy, Quiksilver, Pretty Things, Jefferson Starship, Geno Washington and Man. Gandalf Murphy are the best new band I have seen in years.

Also top marks to the DJ in the Green Room on Friday - he really judged the mood well while we were there, and to the DJ in the Tim Hat with his string game. In a drunken haze I took all the string that had been tied together and spent Saturday night knitting a string vest out of it using glo sticks as needles. I was going to present it to him on Sunday but the bar had closed due to lack of beer by the time I got there.

No real complaints about the weather - this was our eighth festival this year and seven of them have had bad weather so we have just come to expect it now. The fact Friday and Saturday were so nice was a bonus really.

We will probably be back if the late night thing and bars can be sorted :lol:

• 3 months later...

I am sorry to say that there is unlikely to be a Rhythm Festival in 2009. Unlikely but not impossible. If the situation changes you will be the first to know!

from the latest email update from Jim Driver, so looks like changing the date and spending less on the lineup hasnt worked I must say I'm not suprised I didnt go this year the date change didnt suit and with the camping restrictions introduced its appeal had diminshed a lot.

doesn`t sound suprising from what seemed to be getting bandeed about last year.

I think it is a shame becuase that festival def had the makings of becoming a good regular on the circuit.

However--it just goes to show that at the end of the day--- its money that generally is the factor.

Will def miss it--but--- i suppose a few fests might bite the dust in the coming year esp with the current financial position.

sad-den

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...